The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Pitts seemed to do pretty decent the last 2 playoffs with no tough guys in there top 6 I mean hornqvist probably there toughest top 6 player I understand Crosby and malkin are vets and we’re wanting to look out for our rooms but look they brought in reaves and oleksiak this year to toughen up there line up and there not looking like the same team (reaves is obviously gone now) gudbranson is there to answer any bells if need to be example Beating the crap out of Wilson beginning of the season, horvat showed what he’s capable of against nurse last year 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

That photo was taken at the Utica AUD and I was in there as part of the crowd scenes :)

Didn't know that.   I LOVE that movie.   Watch it at least once a year.  I pre-dates "my time" but it isn't far off the minors in general and the quirkiness of trying to balance life and hockey when you are making about the same money as a janitor.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Did you throw your keys?

Here are two good interview articles although in the first one where Steve Carlson remembers fans throwing folding chairs on the ice wasn't the Utica AUD but rather the Clinton Arena which is the original home of the Clinton Comets the namesake of the current Comets.

http://www.uticaod.com/x810163924/Slap-Shot-Hanson-Brother-Steve-Carlson-Remembers-Shooting-Film-In-Utica-35-Years-Ago

http://www.uticaod.com/x914048875/Part-2-Slap-Shots-Dave-Hanson-Recalls-Johnstown-Jets-Visits-To-Utica-Returning-To-Home-Of-Charlestown-Chiefs

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

His specific job is going the way of the dodo.

maybe. But in the meantime I'd like a couple of guys to have that specific job vs. some amorphous team thing that may or may not happen. 

45 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Is this the EP thread or the tough guy thread?  Why is this such a debate around this kid.  Does Chicago have an enforcer to protect Kane?  Does Calgary have one to protect Johnny?  Does Matt Martin even dress anymore?

Lets get back on track....

To be fair Calgary does have Ferland on Gaudreau's line. But it's true it doesn't really matter. The way the league is, it's about speed and skill. Toughness is a nice added bonus if they can play at a decent pace. Pettersson will be just fine, he does need some added muscle for the battles down low and such. But he doesn't need protecting. We don't need goons to follow him around. This isn't the 80s.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

To be fair Calgary does have Ferland on Gaudreau's line. But it's true it doesn't really matter. The way the league is, it's about speed and skill. Toughness is a nice added bonus if they can play at a decent pace. Pettersson will be just fine, he does need some added muscle for the battles down low and such. But he doesn't need protecting. We don't need goons to follow him around. This isn't the 80s.

We just need team toughness 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Stelar said:

Is this the EP thread or the tough guy thread?  Why is this such a debate around this kid.  Does Chicago have an enforcer to protect Kane?  Does Calgary have one to protect Johnny?  Does Matt Martin even dress anymore?

Because our prospects are all frail, frightened kittens who will get destroyed in the scary NHL unless they have a big daddy to protect them.  That is, after more years in the minors, according to the development expertz.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Why are you always calling people out?  and why do you try to make it sound like developing in the minors is such a bad thing?  The kid is 165 pounds, he may very well need some develop time in the AHL and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  It would be great if he showed up to camp and proves that he can avoid contact enough to make it through the long NHL grind, and if he's in the minors it's a double bonus having a play maker helping our other young kids develop a scoring touch. 

I hope he becomes something truly special because this team desperately needs more elite offensive pieces if we plan on becoming a legit contender.  

5th,

Your insecurities are showing. Even if you are one the ’expertz’ being referenced don’t bite. 

Bu responding to this post you have taken this kinda funny jab and made it about you. That says way more about how you see your self than how others do. 

You do have a valid point. Just let the jabs roll off. 

There has had been lots of chatter from a lot of people about who is going to ride on Pettersson’s wing, I don’t think anyone has Baer and Goldy penciled into roster spots with EP!  

Guys like Gads and Virt have been mentioned as internal candidates because of their size. There are possible FA’s and trades that could be made to also get the job done. 

Naslund had Bert, Bure had Gino etc. One of the biggest knocks on the Canucks management over the years with the twins was who was their winger. I don’t think three old school guys like JB, TL and TG aren’t already working on this. 

EmW

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Rough chippy game today. Lots of after the whistle scrums, Malmo trying the intimidation game. EP put in a headlock once. But I think he'll get his revenge on the scoreboard.

Their behind 1-0 after the first.

Vaxjo ties it up early in the 2nd 1-1 (#18 scored)

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Why are you always calling people out?  and why do you try to make it sound like developing in the minors is such a bad thing?  The kid is 165 pounds, he may very well need some develop time in the AHL and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  It would be great if he showed up to camp and proves that he can avoid contact enough to make it through the long NHL grind, and if he's in the minors it's a double bonus having a play maker helping our other young kids develop a scoring touch. 

I hope he becomes something truly special because this team desperately needs more elite offensive pieces if we plan on becoming a legit contender.  

If only that same patience were shown with one or two of our other prospects ;) 

• Upvote 1