The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

The last 2 games EP has had exactly 2 things he tried not work out...either directly or via tips, etc.

The goal he scored was a mini masterpiece...out waiting the D. man and ripping it top corner with laser accuracy and almost slapshot velocity...Van Gogh goals are what we need to adjust our expectations to embrace....or for some you...even see...just because you never seen it before doesn't mean he can't do it..

Seriously it is a joke to be talking about him playing in Utica...he makes everyone he plays with ...better with his pinpoint no look passing and evasive maneuvers..EP is going to piss off a whole mess of defenders ...after they get over the broken ankles...

Half of Sweden's output was due to EP....in limited minutes...!.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Who was it saying that Pettersson generally takes a game or two to find the next gear in a new environment? Because so far that seems to be holding true for the regular SHL season, SHL playoffs and now world championship. 

He's gotta gather some field research for that alien brain calculates how to dominate

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I didn't get to watch the game today, did Elias look more confident today?  

Pettersson has shown his ability to make intelligent decisions in all three games, but looked even more assertive today. He ripped three one-timers from the right faceoff circle in the first period that didn't go in, made some great passes (when he's feeling more confident, he puts more snap on them), and kept his balance for the most part.

Will look for him to produce more 5 on 5, but he seemed very comfortable on the powerplay.

Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Upvote 1

You know how you see some players that exert so much energy flying around the ice, chasing the puck, trying to make something happen, in a rush to make a decision and execute. Pettersson seems to save his energy, reading the play, anticipating, then being in the right spot to get the puck or defend. And that shot. Such a smart player for a young age. He also has wheels, getting back fast enough when he needs to. I can't wait to see him in a Canucks unie next season (#40?). I think a line of Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser, would be just deadly.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Gauncer, is that you? :lol:

Just reminds me of a young Brendan Gaunce’s quote from years ago:

“Some people skate around the ice and they do nothing,” explained Gaunce. “But it looks good because they’re skating hard, but they’re not doing anything or accomplishing anything. What’s the point of wasting that energy if that’s all you’re going to do?

“Fans love it when players go hard and check the boards – miss the guy – they think that’s energy. But ... that’s wasted energy. That’s just my opinion.’’

haha, I never knew he said that. Funny. But he's right too. I see Virtanen and all of that energy, he's a super fast skater, but his foot speed is way faster than his hands (and brain) can keep up, which is why he uses his wrap-around move so often. Get to the net first and try to score. He needs to learn to slow the game down and make better decisions (use line mates) IMO.  

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

haha, I never knew he said that. Funny. But he's right too. I see Virtanen and all of that energy, he's a super fast skater, but his foot speed is way faster than his hands (and brain) can keep up, which is why he uses his wrap-around move so often. Get to the net first and try to score. He needs to learn to slow the game down and make better decisions (use line mates) IMO.  

Oh yeah, he’s definitely right. I see Gaunce as one of the smartest guys on the team and meant it as a compliment that your observations mirrored something he’d said.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Gauncer, is that you? :lol:

EDIT: Just to be clear, I mean this as a compliment. :) 

Just reminds me of a young Brendan Gaunce’s quote from years ago:

“Some people skate around the ice and they do nothing,” explained Gaunce. “But it looks good because they’re skating hard, but they’re not doing anything or accomplishing anything. What’s the point of wasting that energy if that’s all you’re going to do?

“Fans love it when players go hard and check the boards – miss the guy – they think that’s energy. But ... that’s wasted energy. That’s just my opinion.’’

I remember this quote. I agreed with it then but disagree with it now.

If you go for a hit and miss the guy, that is not a wasted energy. The guy who avoided the hit and his teammates sure take notice. The guy that went for the hit and missed, gets to fine tune his timing so that he will land the hit next time. 

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

You HAVE been watching him play, yes?

Yeah I've seen him play. 

Are you saying he's as good a skater as Hischier/Ehlers/Marner? He's good but those guys are a step above average. Pettersson's ability to shift his weight and control the puck should make up for it as he adjusts.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, khay said:

I remember this quote. I agreed with it then but disagree with it now.

If you go for a hit and miss the guy, that is not a wasted energy. The guy who avoided the hit and his teammates sure take notice. The guy that went for the hit and missed, gets to fine tune his timing so that he will land the hit next time. 

I suppose. But I think he was more referring to guys who consistently check the boards and just run around not accomplishing much other than putting themselves out of position.

I'm confident Gaunce knows the value of a good hit, or a hustle play that results in a takeaway. But guys who run around, rattling glass, chasing the play, and looking busy while doing next to nothing productive can sometimes earn praise for “energy” shifts that really don’t help their teams. 

I would agree that narrowly missed checks by freight train types do get noticed. Deservedly so. And guys get their heads on swivels watching out for the next time that train comes through. This can certainly be beneficial.

But an ineffectual “finish your check” attempt where a guy just throws himself  wildly into the boards (while the target is long gone) is the definition of “wasted energy” IMO.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TU90 said:

Elias looks ridiculously comfortable at this level of competition. I'm not sure what people are arguing about here.

He started to settle in last game before spending most of the time on the bench lol.

Anyone his ice time and if any of those points were on the PP?