The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

That’s so cool!  This kid is driven to be the best.

Didnt he have a really strong grip at the draft combine?  He’s got really strong hands and forearms I think.  

He was 3rd in mean and 7th in peak power output on the wingate test. So he is pretty damn fit

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MattJVD said:

He was 3rd in mean and 7th in peak power output on the wingate test. So he is pretty damn fit

Yeah, our 2017 draft class had some very impressive results at the combine. 

Rathbone and Gadjovich just killed it overall. Gadjovich was top-10 on 5 different tests. Rathbone’s results really impressed me at the time, and he’s made some significant training gains since then. And, as you note, Pettersson’s Wingate results were very impressive. Lind, as well, was no slouch on the Wingate, and had good grip strength results. Also reminded of DiPietro’s 77.5 inch wingspan (a half foot wider than his height).

• Thanks 2

On 8/13/2018 at 7:46 PM, Alflives said:

That’s so cool!  This kid is driven to be the best.

Didnt he have a really strong grip at the draft combine?  He’s got really strong hands and forearms I think.  

image.jpeg.648ebb09e4bf127288d9d6b4c8fcc7d4.jpegHe is what he is. 

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

One anyway

If he gets 58 pts that would be 58 goals in total, If the Sedins each got 58 pts that would maybe be 62 goals. Not as hard as you think, to count how many times each Sedin was in on each others goals. Be easier to replace the goals than many think. One reason why the Canucks struggled with two very good players to score goals.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, cory40 said:

If he gets 58 pts that would be 58 goals in total, If the Sedins each got 58 pts that would maybe be 62 goals. Not as hard as you think, to count how many times each Sedin was in on each others goals. Be easier to replace the goals than many think. One reason why the Canucks struggled with two very good players to score goals.

I am not stats savvy enough to show you how individually generated goals work but know enough to tell you that ain't it.  Like if EP played with BB and BH and got 58 points I don't think you could count too many of those to Sedin replacement.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Yung1 said:

we literally led the league in goals in their prime.

I'm not saying they weren't great players but I looked at the stats and they we're involved almost to a the letter T in each others assists. So all I am saying is they should have 30 more goals as a team with two 58 pt players ,and that never translated the last few years.

8 hours ago, Yung1 said:

2 hours ago, TGT68 said:

I am not stats savvy enough to show you how individually generated goals work but know enough to tell you that ain't it.  Like if EP played with BB and BH and got 58 points I don't think you could count too many of those to Sedin replacement.  

Malkin and Crosby can be split and pick up two lines. In the Sedins case that was not so, In fact their style need each other to generate points. If they we're involved in say 68 goals for the year combined and it came off 60 points each that still is just 68 goals. When it should be closer to 78 to 80 goals. So to say we need to get the total points in the system to generate the same amount of goals is not true. In fact if we get two players to get 40 points it should translate to 68 goals then that would replace the Sedins. And if we get players to play 5 on 5 and OT we will be better off. Now I am a Sedin fan through and through but them not being split hurt the team when they got older because neither in their last few years was a shooter. 

8 hours ago, Yung1 said:

We didn't lose the Sedins in their prime! In case you hadn't noticed they couldn't play 3 on 3 and were often out matched 5 on 5 when they were not in their prime anymore.

We need to replace what the Sedins did last season to keep growing, And I am saying not as hard as people think that's all.

56 minutes ago, cory40 said:

We didn't lose the Sedins in their prime! In case you hadn't noticed they couldn't play 3 on 3 and were often out matched 5 on 5 when they were not in their prime anymore.

We need to replace what the Sedins did last season to keep growing, And I am saying not as hard as people think that's all.

Yeah its true people keep saying we need to replace 100 points, 50 for each sedin. But in reality, most of those are from the same goal so really we only need to replace like 60-70 points,and a guy like EP alone could do that. Add in Horvat Baertschi Virtanen and Boeser all set for career years, players like gagner eriksson granlund goldobin and leipsic looking to gain some traction, and a d core with a steady prospect probably coming in. I dontknow, it just seems like collectively we arent that bad even with the sedin’s retirement. EP is a stud and him alone in my opinion is enough to compensate for the sedin’s departure.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

Malkin and Crosby can be split and pick up two lines. In the Sedins case that was not so, In fact their style need each other to generate points. If they we're involved in say 68 goals for the year combined and it came off 60 points each that still is just 68 goals. When it should be closer to 78 to 80 goals. So to say we need to get the total points in the system to generate the same amount of goals is not true. In fact if we get two players to get 40 points it should translate to 68 goals then that would replace the Sedins. And if we get players to play 5 on 5 and OT we will be better off. Now I am a Sedin fan through and through but them not being split hurt the team when they got older because neither in their last few years was a shooter. 

I disagree with them needing each other they put up some really good points when one or the other was hurt

Edited by Dats hockey
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Yeah its true people keep saying we need to replace 100 points, 50 for each sedin. But in reality, most of those are from the same goal so really we only need to replace like 60-70 points,and a guy like EP alone could do that. Add in Horvat Baertschi Virtanen and Boeser all set for career years, players like gagner eriksson granlund goldobin and leipsic looking to gain some traction, and a d core with a steady prospect probably coming in. I dontknow, it just seems like collectively we arent that bad even with the sedin’s retirement. EP is a stud and him alone in my opinion is enough to compensate for the sedin’s departure.

In Reality?

I think that is a silly statement

There can be 3 points to a goal by Any player on All teams

You are using Sedins points generated?

How does that make sense?

Everyone else gets points on every other line in the League

So when Gretzky and Kurri were scoring 296 combined points each season, they only had to replace how many points?

Kurri scored 102 the year without Wayne, after Wayne was traded

Wayne 168 that year

It doesn't even make sense saying that to me

In your mind

Had they been split (like Gretzky Kurri) they wouldn't have helped the team score goals?

They could score goals without each other and when Henrik won Daniel was hurt

The coaches just chose to keep them together

• Wat 1

5 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

I disagree with them needing each other they put up some really good points when one or the other was hurt

Yeh true, But your so missing my point. If they were together or one was hurt they still got the same amount of goals. But hey some can't seem to grasp that two players of high caliber involved in each others points to the degree that they did does not spread out the offense. But hey let this year prove my point less points and more goals and finishing higher in the standings.

4 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

In Reality?

I think that is a silly statement

There can be 3 points to a goal by Any player on All teams

You are using Sedins points generated?

How does that make sense?

Everyone else gets points on every other line in the League

So when Gretzky and Kurri were scoring 296 combined points each season, they only had to replace how many points?

Kurri scored 102 the year without Wayne, after Wayne was traded

Wayne 168 that year

It doesn't even make sense saying that to me

In your mind

Had they been split (like Gretzky Kurri) they wouldn't have helped the team score goals?

They could score goals without each other and when Henrik won Daniel was hurt

The coaches just chose to keep them together

The Oilers had a deep team they could win by 3 or 4 goals. The Sedins won't be missed this year. Pretty simple they only we're combined involved in like 65 goals and they needed 120 points to do that. Any other two players with 120 combined points it will be more like 80 goals scored for the team. If Pettersson is involved in 60 goals that's the same amount of goals the Sedins would have been involved in. Total goals are the measuring stick not total points 

• Upvote 1