The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

16 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, if he manages to maintain anything close to this kind of scoring pace over the remainder of the SHL season, it's probably fair to pencil him in as a lock for the 2018-19 Canucks lineup (and that's regardless of where he's at with his weight and strength training). 

Shaping up to be a fun camp next year.

Even more so if Gaudette also goes pro next year. I loved how Adam made the summer prospects game seem like a competition between himself and Pettersson and how he basically called out Elias and said he's coming for his spot. I don't believe Gaudette necessarily has the elite level offensive talent to truly compete with Pettersson for a front end scoring role, but it'd sure be fun if those two (and maybe Dahlén) can push each other to even greater heights during their NHL rookie seasons.

Pettersson along with Boeser and Baer will give the Nucks some boost to the skill dept. honarable mention to Lind. Sprinkle in some size and net presence guys Horvat, Virt and Gadjovich along with sound two way players Sutter, Granlund and Gaunce and a character player like Dorsett,I would say the forward dept is looking solid from top to bottom. 

Add one puck mover to the defence and reaihn Guddy and this team will be a playoff lock in one more season. 

43 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

To me Pettersson is a skinny Forsberg. He has a similar tenacity and skill set, add some size and the JB might have found his generational talent. 

19 minutes ago, Lakers said:

I'd say you're completely right! They both have that same "game-breaking-good-at-everything"-x factor. 
Elias can potentially be a good hitter too, just like Forsberg was. The few hits he's made have been on point technically, which is key tbh. Combined with the fact that he's fearless, he could be something really special in the future. If you read some of the Swedish news, they all say that "He's something special, one of a kind" etc.

For instance, front page of the biggest news paper in Sweden last night:
"Never seen anything like him since Forsberg
Wennerholm: He's almost too good for SHL - I just sat there, drooling over his skills"

The article starts with:
"Eighteen year old Pettersson took down the mighty Frölunda by himself. I haven't seen a junior player dominate the ice surface in SHL this much since Peter Forsberg. 
Every time he got the puck I couldn't stop smiling - his quickness, niftiness and acceleration combined with a hockey sense and stick handling that's out of this World. 
Anyone can see that he has another dimension in his game and he's aimed for greatness on a larger scene than SHL. Even Swedens most hyped hockey-talent right now, Rasmus Dahlin, was in the shadow of Pettersson this evening."

Good comparison with Forsberg. I am impressed with Pettersson's tenacity, drive and fearlessness. Definitely Forsberg like in that respect. Without these attributes, Pettersson would not be able to do what he does on the ice. You need more than skill and size (his performance is even more impressive considering his light weight) to reach Forsbergian heights.

Edited by Alexandre
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Calling Pettersson a generational talent is a bit much but I could certainly see a future Backstrom in him if we're lucky. 60-90 points out of Pettersson would be ideal but he could still go either which way.

If he keeps up this pace ( over a PPG ) he is for sure "Swedish generational" with only Forsberg and Nillson being in his company....

I would argue that Forsberg was a generational player in the NHL as well....he was unstoppable at times.

I would also like to point out that the tandem of Bo and Elias could well be as valuable as the McD./ Driasitl pair...add Brock to that and those 3 will outscore and outshine any 3 Oiler's...maybe not to start next year but in a couple of years for sure....

I don't know about 'generational' but Forsberg is my favourite player of all time. Guy was a fierce competitor and supremely skilled. I almost didn't mind when him and the Avs used to routinely kick our arses, he was so good and so fun to watch.

If EP can have anything close to that impact, he'll be a damn good player. That said, I'm not sure EP has quite the level of grit to his game that Foppa had...but he may just be more skilled :ph34r:

Here's hoping he has less injuries too.

Anyway, just came in to see if he'd gotten any more points since I went to bed? :lol:

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

If he keeps up this pace ( over a PPG ) he is for sure "Swedish generational" with only Forsberg and Nillson being in his company....

I would argue that Forsberg was a generational player in the NHL as well....he was unstoppable at times.

I would also like to point out that the tandem of Bo and Elias could well be as valuable as the McD./ Driasitl pair...add Brock to that and those 3 will outscore and outshine any 3 Oiler's...maybe not to start next year but in a couple of years for sure....

Image result for aliens are real gif

It's going to be very interesting how much better Pettersson is going to be as he continues to put on more muscle and mass. As for Forsberg, if one could do the '91 Draft all over, he could've gone in the Top 3 easily. And I would rather have him over Lindros. I also remember watching the draft(Darn! Philly got him! Just before the Canucks!), I recall Forsberg being very skinny. I knew he was going to be good, nevertheless. By the time he was entering his prime with Colorado, I was amazed on how much bigger he became and how dominant he was on the ice. 

So, it's scary to imagine how really good Pettersson can become once his body matures and his game continues to develop. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't know about 'generational' but Forsberg is my favourite player of all time. Guy was a fierce competitor and supremely skilled. I almost didn't mind when him and the Avs used to routinely kick our arses, he was so good and so fun to watch.

If EP can have anything close to that impact, he'll be a damn good player. That said, I'm not sure EP has quite the level of grit to his game that Foppa had...but he may just be more skilled :ph34r:

Here's hoping he has less injuries too.

Anyway, just came in to see if he'd gotten any more points since I went to bed? :lol:

Forsberg is my favourite I've ever watched too. I don't see it with EP though, Peter was probably the nastiest piece of business on the ice in any game he played. the Backstrom comparable look really close though

4 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Forsberg is my favourite I've ever watched too. I don't see it with EP though, Peter was probably the nastiest piece of business on the ice in any game he played. the Backstrom comparable look really close though

Yeah the guy was a force and played in the trenches like one of the meanest grinders but then backed that up with ridiculous skill. :wub:'d that guy.

As I said, not sure EP has that grit/nastiness but he may be even more skilled. Yeah the Backstrom comparable seems closer.

Edited by aGENT

39 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

It's going to be very interesting how much better Pettersson is going to be as he continues to put on more muscle and mass. As for Forsberg, if one could do the '91 Draft all over, he could've gone in the Top 3 easily. And I would rather have him over Lindros. I also remember watching the draft(Darn! Philly got him! Just before the Canucks!), I recall Forsberg being very skinny. I knew he was going to be good, nevertheless. By the time he was entering his prime with Colorado, I was amazed on how much bigger he became and how dominant he was on the ice. 

So, it's scary to imagine how really good Pettersson can become once his body matures and his game continues to develop. 

The first time I watched Forsberg play was live at maple leaf gardens for an exhibition game (preseason). It was his rookie year also, so prob one of his first NHL games. I remember him pulling this dynamic spin-rama move near centre ice that left the crowd gasping with awe. I knew he would be something special just like I know Pettersson will be/is something special. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

To me Pettersson is a skinny Forsberg. He has a similar tenacity and skill set, add some size and the JB might have found his generational talent. 

Don't forget that Forsberg didn't even weigh 170LBS at his draft.  He was a very similar weight to what Pettersson is now.