The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, ohmy said:

Since it was brought up. I am 100% certain that Elias will sign with the Canucks and unless there's an injury that hinders his development then I'm 100% certain it will be at the end of his season . 

I’d love to see Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette, and Lockwood all up here.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’d love to see Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette, and Lockwood all up here.

I would be slightly cautious with Lockwood just because he plays a high energy physical game so he may need one more year of college. However all four of those guys excite me for the future and I would love to see it under the right circumstances. Depends how the rest of the season goes for our Canucks. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, mll said:

This is Russo in the Star Tribune on Kaprizov.  There are things in the CBA which are not clear and the Wild have been in contact with the NHL in other situations to get clarification.  Russo has also contacted them himself like in the Backstrom case. 

http://www.startribune.com/russian-team-official-on-wild-s-kaprizov-he-will-stay-in-russia-for-next-3-years/433141043/

Also, there's no transfer agreement between the NHL and KHL, so the way I understand it, the Wild owns his NHL rights essentially forever. They're not in danger of losing his rights if unsigned four years from his draft year like other drafted players.

If I was a betting man I would say the Wild will be out of luck on this one. The CBA is pretty clear in stating that for players drafted from clubs outside of North America will only retain his rights for four years. I'm no lawyer but that seems pretty clear to me. My understanding of transfer agreements is that NHL teams have to make a payment to the player's former club AFTER signing an NHL contract and, for European teams, I believe that one time payment is $240,000 or so. Since Kaprizov has never signed a contract (and therefore no transfer agreement arguments would be effective) I would say the CBA rule of 4 years for signing would apply. But, like I said, I am no lawyer..........

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

If I was a betting man I would say the Wild will be out of luck on this one. The CBA is pretty clear in stating that for players drafted from clubs outside of North America will only retain his rights for four years. I'm no lawyer but that seems pretty clear to me. My understanding of transfer agreements is that NHL teams have to make a payment to the player's former club AFTER signing an NHL contract and, for European teams, I believe that one time payment is $240,000 or so. Since Kaprizov has never signed a contract (and therefore no transfer agreement arguments would be effective) I would say the CBA rule of 4 years for signing would apply. But, like I said, I am no lawyer..........

I just edited the post with a link to CapFriendly:  https://www.capfriendly.com/reserve-list-faq#non-transfer-league

They say it's only leagues with a transfer agreement (Liiga and SHL) that have the 4 year limit on draft rights while for LNA and KHL it's indefinite.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SuitnTie said:

Some troll has to start the “will he sign with the Canucks” for every prospect that looks promising. 

Pettersson will not only sign this coming spring, he will be playing with us the last 10 games of this season.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ohmy said:

I would be slightly cautious with Lockwood just because he plays a high energy physical game so he may need one more year of college. However all four of those guys excite me for the future and I would love to see it under the right circumstances. Depends how the rest of the season goes for our Canucks. 

If Lockwood is, in fact, leaning towards turning pro at the end of the season the Canuckc will need to exercise caution with their decision whether or not to extend a contract offer. We don't want Lockwood feeling like he is ready and the Canucks cannot convince him to wait until after his Junior year before signing. That just might be enough to antagonize Lockwood to the point where he says he will stay in school through his senior year and become a UFA. We want both sides to be on the same page as to when is the right time for him to turn pro and I am confident that will happen.

• Like 1

Just now, Rick Blight said:

No he won't. He will still be playing in the SHL playoffs during our last 10 games or so.

Crap:(

i didn't realize the two seasons overlapped so much.  Next September then, at Prospects’ Camp?  Would Gaudette and Dahlen be eligible for prospect camp too?

31 minutes ago, ohmy said:

Since it was brought up. I am 100% certain that Elias will sign with the Canucks and unless there's an injury that hinders his development then I'm 100% certain it will be at the end of his season . 

57 seconds in > Petterson on the emotions of being picked by the Canucks?  "It was amazing!''

Yup, controversy born right away... 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I generally agree, however the only reason why I may think Heiskanen may be better is that if he becomes a top 2 dman, then it is harder to find those than a top line winger. If Pettersson makes it into the NHL as a center then no doubt I have him above Heiskanen. That is another reason why I would have Hischier above Pettersson for the time being.

This is thrown around a lot but I disagree. How can a top 2 damn be harder to find than a top line winger? 

There are just as many top line wingers on each team as there are top 2 D. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Crap:(

i didn't realize the two seasons overlapped so much.  Next September then, at Prospects’ Camp?  Would Gaudette and Dahlen be eligible for prospect camp too?

All 3 can be at Prospects Camp and all three could possibly play either in Vancouver or Utica. Gaudette may make it to the Canucks this season.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, cyoung said:

Hasn't stepped foot in the nhl. Tone it down lol. Hischier is playing great hockey right now. Let's be patient before making these claims, I have no doubt that he can eventually be the best but for now... 

Do not all top prospects get their due. Its up to him to fail or be a bust. So maybe get on board.

• Upvote 2

Sad when fans get upset when we have high expectations for players. Sometimes players put expectations on themselves with how they perform. Vancouver has missed lots of draft picks because of ignoring these Europian stats. Look out for EP. I wouldn't trade EP for anyone in the draft. He has potential to be the best player in the NHL. And this will make McDavid fans, or even that guy from Toronto fans a little worried. He is doing things in Hockey against men in a boys body that's in heard of. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Pettersson will not only sign this coming spring, he will be playing with us the last 10 games of this season.  

i believed this too. his most recent chats with 1040 and 650 though he refused to say he would for sure.  he wants to win a championship in Sweden. i could see him deciding post wjc, Olympics, and regular season.  i believe his success at those levels may be a large factor. i sure hope he and Gaudette can join the team soon.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

Sad when fans get upset when we have high expectations for players. Sometimes players put expectations on themselves with how they perform. Vancouver has missed lots of draft picks because of ignoring these Europian stats. Look out for EP. I wouldn't trade EP for anyone in the draft. He has potential to be the best player in the NHL. And this will make McDavid fans, or even that guy from Toronto fans a little worried. He is doing things in Hockey against men in a boys body that's in heard of. 

Toronto plays in the eastern conference. If Pettersson and Boeser finished 1-2 in league scoring they wouldnt care at all unless Matthews was third.

Leafs fans probably care less about the Canucks than Canucks fans care about the senators. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, cory40 said:

Do not all top prospects get their due. Its up to him to fail or be a bust. So maybe get on board.

I would trade EP for anything. Just stating that I wouldn't deem him the best..... Yet. Lol hard to understand haha. 

5 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

This is thrown around a lot but I disagree. How can a top 2 damn be harder to find than a top line winger? 

There are just as many top line wingers on each team as there are top 2 D. 

IMO, a good top 2 dman is harder to find because they generally have to produce decent offense while being outstanding defensively. A top line winger can get away with being average to poor defensively as long as they produce offensively (eg Daniel Sedin). Unlike a centerman, they do not have to take draws and are not expected to have a strong two way game, although it is nice for them to have that as well in their game. A top 2 dman often plays 20-25 minutes or even up to 30 minutes a game in all game situations. A top line winger can get away with playing on the PP and getting maybe around 18 minutes a game. The market for defenders is much greater than it is for wingers, especially shown with the way Vegas ran their expansion draft.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

IMO, a good top 2 dman is harder to find because they generally have to produce decent offense while being outstanding defensively. A top line winger can get away with being average to poor defensively as long as they produce offensively (eg Daniel Sedin). Unlike a centerman, they do not have to take draws and are not expected to have a strong two way game, although it is nice for them to have that as well in their game. A top 2 dman often plays 20-25 minutes or even up to 30 minutes a game in all game situations. A top line winger can get away with playing on the PP and getting maybe around 18 minutes a game. The market for defenders is much greater than it is for wingers, especially shown with the way Vegas ran their expansion draft.

I would counter that by saying that Daniel is a poor example of a top line winger because he isn't one anymore. You will also find top 2 Dmen that sacrifice defence for offence or vice versa.. ie PK Subban vs Chris Tanev, both are top 2 dmen imo, and that is not to say they are the same calibre. In addition PK is far from "outstanding defensively" and Tanev is far from decent offensively yet both belong on a top pair... for different reasons. Forwards play less minutes because there are 4 fwd lines vs 3 D pairings. This also leads to dmen being more valued because there are 33% less defencemen in the NHL than there are forwards.

8 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I would counter that by saying that Daniel is a poor example of a top line winger because he isn't one anymore. You will also find top 2 Dmen that sacrifice defence for offence or vice versa.. ie PK Subban vs Chris Tanev, both are top 2 dmen imo, and that is not to say they are the same calibre. In addition PK is far from "outstanding defensively" and Tanev is far from decent offensively yet both belong on a top pair... for different reasons. Forwards play less minutes because there are 4 fwd lines vs 3 D pairings. This also leads to dmen being more valued because there are 33% less defencemen in the NHL than there are forwards.

Daniel is not a top winger now, but even back when he was, he was never known to be great in his own end. His forte was keeping the puck in the offensive zone and now that part of his game is no longer dominant, the defensive side stands out even more in a bad way.

There is going to be a matter of opinion on what a top 2 dman is and it'll depend on their respective teams on how they're deployed. Tanev (and another example like Methot with Karlsson), imo, are not top 2 dman even though they may be played in that way. They compliment top defenders that more well rounded, but they were not brought into the team with the expectation of being a top 2 dman. I view a top 2 dman being not quite as elite as a Karlsson or Burns, but someone that can step up into that type of role when called upon like Subban. Subban has his gaffes when trying to make his rushes, but he plays big minutes on the penalty kill and that speaks volumes about his defensive play. It's a matter of opinion on how "outstanding" he is defensively, but he can for sure handle himself amongst the best. If you simply want to look at playing time, Subban is arguably the #3 dman for Nashville behind Ekholm and Josi, but clearly he's viewed as a top 2 dman in the league.

Having more forwards in the league is definitely the reason why having quality dmen is more important. With more forwards, there are more roles for players to fill out, which is why it's manageable for a winger to focus more on one part of their game when there are others to handle other duties. As a defender, you are more likely to come across all situations and it is absolutely necessary when you are a top 2 defender. You could face the top forwards or even some bruisers looking to weaken your game over time. A top winger is mostly concerned with facing those top 2 defenders.