The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Lakers said:

Why? SHL has a higher standard than AHL, and he would be able to continue his chemistry with Pettersson too. 

As nice as it would be have Dahlin keep forming that chemistry with Pettersson I'd almost like to see how Dahlin fairs without Pettersson setting him up. It might be good for Dahlin to be forced to adapt and get creative with his game with new players on the smaller ice surface. Either way it's a good situation thankfully.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, stawns said:

IMO, Dahlen needs to be in Utica, not Sweden

Having Dahlen in Utica would be nice for call-up possibilities....but....we already have MacEwen, Labate, Grennier,  Molino and at least one of Virtanen or Goldy down in Utica.

....I also don't think Dahlen will be ready until spring (or next year)....so I am all for him playing with Pettersson, developing chemistry is never a bad thing....

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego

27 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Having Dahlen in Utica would be nice for call-up possibilities....but....we already have MacEwen, Labate, Grennier,  Molino and at least one of Virtanen or Goldy down in Utica.

....I also don't think Dahlen will be ready until spring (or next year)....so I am all for him playing with Pettersson, developing chemistry is never a bad thing....

Grennier I believe has signed with Florida.

3 hours ago, Lakers said:

Why? SHL has a higher standard than AHL, and he would be able to continue his chemistry with Pettersson too. 

He's already got chemistry with Pettersson, he needs to develop chemistry with his other future teammates.  If his goal is to play in the NHL then he needs to start learning the North American game, not the Swedish one.  Don't get me wrong, the SHL is great hockey but it's not the same game.

3 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

None of those guys are the player they want or expect Dahlen to be.  And Utica needs some legitimate scoring threats in a bad bad way.

Just now, stawns said:

He's already got chemistry with Pettersson, he needs to develop chemistry with his other future teammates.  If his goal is to play in the NHL then he needs to start learning the North American game, not the Swedish one.  Don't get me wrong, the SHL is great hockey but it's not the same game.

Well, I get that. Obviously it's something that's important to his future too. But, Dahlén is not a hack, as some of you might think. His skill is close to Pettersson, if not the same. Sure, playing in the AHL will teach him a lot about NA-hockey - but is that really important? I mean, sure, let's say he stays in the US and Elias over here and then all of a sudden they start losing that amazing chemistry. My question to you then is this: What's more important - Chemistry or understanding of NA-hockey? My opinion is that chemistry is something you need to caress, playing hockey on a smaller surface is just an adjustment

I don't know if this year is about developing chemistry as much as its about learning to play a more physical game at a higher pace. Most young players struggle with consistency more than anything and I think it will be the same for all our prospects making the jumo to pro. 

Shift to shift effort and fine tuning details are an important learning curve. The way our system has been developing players is focused on the details in the first year pro and then more offence in the second year. 

Other franchises focus on offense first and then the details as players get older.

Some prospects need it one way and some the other. Bo was a defence first player, Granlund was an offence first player, same with Baertschi. Goldobin was also offence first and now need to learn the details.

Virtanen is d first, hopefully this season will show his offence.

9 minutes ago, Lakers said:

Well, I get that. Obviously it's something that's important to his future too. But, Dahlén is not a hack, as some of you might think. His skill is close to Pettersson, if not the same. Sure, playing in the AHL will teach him a lot about NA-hockey - but is that really important? I mean, sure, let's say he stays in the US and Elias over here and then all of a sudden they start losing that amazing chemistry. My question to you then is this: What's more important - Chemistry or understanding of NA-hockey? My opinion is that chemistry is something you need to caress, playing hockey on a smaller surface is just an adjustment

Of course he's not a hack and the AHL isn't some goon league, it's THE development league for the NHL.  In Utica he gets both.......he builds chemistry with a bunch of guys who will be Canucks teammates as opposed to one in Pettersson.  On top of that he learns how to play a North American game.  You might not think it's a lot different, but it is.  If he's serious about being an impact NHL player, Elias too, they need to get to NA as soon as they are able.

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

Of course he's not a hack and the AHL isn't some goon league, it's THE development league for the NHL.  In Utica he gets both.......he builds chemistry with a bunch of guys who will be Canucks teammates as opposed to one in Pettersson.  On top of that he learns how to play a North American game.  You might not think it's a lot different, but it is.  If he's serious about being an impact NHL player, Elias too, they need to get to NA as soon as they are able.

Don't forget we also have him a lot closer to home and can help with diet workouts etc.. I'm with him coming over as well.  Comes down to weighing the pros and while the SHL is a great option,  imo Utica holds more pros 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Hmm, misunderstand me in the right way - I don't see the AHL as a goon league. Its just, the system that you have is very different to what we have. I can't talk for myself, since I've never played in the NHL, but three of my friend are playing there right now. One in Arizona, one in the Canes and one in Ducks. Two out of these three stayed back in Sweden, one took a chance in the AHL. And, just to quote them, they have said this: "Moving to the US has been a huge change, but it also made me understand what I need to do to make it here. The NHL is not something that you just get to, its something that's earned.". And another one said: "I was hesitant about moving, since I know that SHL holds a really good level. Am I ready for this? Do I prefer a season in the AHL with lesser skilled players, or a season over here with some of the best outside of the NHL? I didn't take the bait, and waited. NHL was different, the smaller ice and the intensity was really something else. Even though it took me a few games I managed to find my game on this surface too". Having said all of this, my call is that players drafted in 3:rd round (or higher) will benefit from AHL, while players drafted lower would still have higher improvement playing with high quality players in Sweden

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, TheOgRook said:

Don't forget we also have him a lot closer to home and can help with diet workouts etc.. I'm with him coming over as well.  Comes down to weighing the pros and while the SHL is a great option,  imo Utica holds more pros 

Hmm... It's sort of sad to read things like this. Since you clearly have no clue about what type of coaches we have. Our physical headcoach has worked with superstars like Carolina Klüft and movie stars like Tom Cruise....

I think Pettersson will enter the NHL at ~185 and will fill out to 195 in his mid 20s. I may be crazy but I genuinely believe he can reach 200. This kid is so incredibly thin, there is so much potential for growth on that 6'2 frame. If RNH can go from 165 to 190+, I don't think Pettersson will have a problem with it. Our boys in the past few years have all developed very nicely. Horvat, Boeser and Juolevi have all been able to get noticeably bigger, stronger, and faster. I think Pettersson is in very good hands.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Lakers said:

Hmm... It's sort of sad to read things like this. Since you clearly have no clue about what type of coaches we have. Our physical headcoach has worked with superstars like Carolina Klüft and movie stars like Tom Cruise....

Lol cool the breeze bud.. you have no idea what I know for one.  For two maybe you miss the point of us not having the input while he's over there.  If he's here he is with OUR coaches OUR training staff.  Working on the things that the CANUCKS want him to work on.  

Sorry if your feelers are hurt but you may want to grow a thicker skin.. these guys can be junkyard dogs at times :).  

Welcome to CDC

Edited by TheOgRook

10 minutes ago, Lakers said:

Hmm, misunderstand me in the right way - I don't see the AHL as a goon league. Its just, the system that you have is very different to what we have. I can't talk for myself, since I've never played in the NHL, but three of my friend are playing there right now. One in Arizona, one in the Canes and one in Ducks. Two out of these three stayed back in Sweden, one took a chance in the AHL. And, just to quote them, they have said this: "Moving to the US has been a huge change, but it also made me understand what I need to do to make it here. The NHL is not something that you just get to, its something that's earned.". And another one said: "I was hesitant about moving, since I know that SHL holds a really good level. Am I ready for this? Do I prefer a season in the AHL with lesser skilled players, or a season over here with some of the best outside of the NHL? I didn't take the bait, and waited. NHL was different, the smaller ice and the intensity was really something else. Even though it took me a few games I managed to find my game on this surface too". Having said all of this, my call is that players drafted in 3:rd round (or higher) will benefit from AHL, while players drafted lower would still have higher improvement playing with high quality players in Sweden

I would agree with Everything in your post.  What rounds were Pettersson and Dahlen drafted in?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Lakers said:

I have nothing but great things to say about the Swedish hockey program, it is an elite program on par with the best development systems in the world.  It comes down to one question for both Dahlen and Pettersson..........3 years from now are you a Laker or are you a Canuck?  If the answer is "Canuck" than they need to get with the Canuck program as early as possible, IMO.  For Dahlen, that should be in Utica this coming season, if he's ready.

Edited by stawns
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

Lol cool the breeze bud.. you have no idea what I know for one.  For two maybe you miss the point of us not having the input while he's over there.  If he's here he is with OUR coaches OUR training staff.  Working on the things that the CANUCKS want him to work on.  

Sorry if your feelers are hurt but you may want to grow a thicker skin.. these guys can be junkyard dogs at times :).  

Welcome to CDC

You really think that Lakers and Canucks wouldn't talk about that at all if he's over here? :D 
Obviously we would make him as ready as possible for the NHL. We want all of our players to be in the NHL. We don't hold back on players dreams - we make them happen. Trust me, the diet and physical aspect is the least of your worries 

• Upvote 1

Having Dahlen play in the SHL with Pettersson would be a good thing. They can both push each to get stronger and faster and continue to build chemistry.

Then when they come over to the AHL the transition should be much easier. I think it's pretty obvious these two will end up playing together, might as well have them develop together as well.