The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Having Dahlen play in the SHL with Pettersson would be a good thing. They can both push each to get stronger and faster and continue to build chemistry.

Then when they come over to the AHL the transition should be much easier. I think it's pretty obvious these two will end up playing together, might as well have them develop together as well.

I already know he's got chemistry with EP, I want to see him develop chemistry with the rest of his team and get acclimatized to NA sooner rather than later.  If he stays in Sweden, that's fine, but Utica would be my preference.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I already know he's got chemistry with EP, I want to see him develop chemistry with the rest of his team and get acclimatized to NA sooner rather than later.  If he stays in Sweden, that's fine, but Utica would be my preference.

They have chemistry together playing for Timra. The SHL is a whole other challenge in which having that chemistry already in place will help both of their development.

Developing chemistry with guys in Utica who may or may not even become NHLers seems unecessary to me. Plus the whole idea that they need to adapt their game to North American style is a bit overrated IMO. Guys come over from the SHL and KHL and adapt just fine. The speed and agility these two already play with is what will allow them to adapt. They just need more strength. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Lakers said:

Hey all of you!

I'm Swedish, and I'm a huge supporter of the Lakers (Petterson and (hopefully) Dahléns team in Sweden). I'm here to answer any questions you might have, and also giving you some inside information and (if you want) some translation of any interview they're doing over here this season. 
I'm gonna try to give you some type of report of how they're playing too.

Start your own thread. If you are serious , could make for a good one. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Lakers said:

Hey all of you!

I'm Swedish, and I'm a huge supporter of the Lakers (Patterson and (hopefully) Dahléns team in Sweden). I'm here to answer any questions you might have, and also giving you some inside information and (if you want) some translation of any interview they're doing over here this season. 
I'm gonna try to give you some type of report of how they're playing too.

Welcome aboard, Lakers.  Really hope you stick around and let us know how things are shaping up in Sweden, now and again.  1st hand knowledge is always great to have around here.  

I think that Dahlen should play in Sweden next year as well.  I see no reason to rush either EP or JD to NAmerica.  They can develop just as well overseas and will support each other when they are ready to make the transition.

• Upvote 3

Honestly who cares where he plays next year. Advantages for both sides of the argument. Play with more skill and make more money or adapt to smaller ice and be closer to the club......seems like a wash to me. 

And who says ep and jd will jd will even play together in Sweden. The Lakers ain't gonna be doing the Canucks any favours, they're trying to build a winner over there too ya know. On top of that who says they're a future line for the nucks?.....Boeser and petterson will be linemates in the future imo, if we tank and land tkachuk or svenchinkov or whoever you think dhalen is beating out one of those guys for top line? 

On 7/5/2017 at 3:22 PM, alfstonker said:

Not really, that is just your interpretation. What I'm saying is we are going for skilled players and it is my opinion that in the playoffs skilled players become targets. It happened with the Sedins and if we don't learn lessons it will happen again if we rely purely on speed and skill.

Of course it is speculation to say that the two young Swedes will be paired on a line together but they have history and so it is not so far fetched. 

I'm not hurrying anything, I am saying building a Cup winning team requires forethought and allowing for many contingencies.

It's called balance. We definitely need to re-stock the skill (which is by far the hardest to fill) first & then add in the muscle (which is easier to find). 

Benning also seems to be adding guys with skill (Petterson, Gaudette, Palmu, Gadjovich, Virtanen, Lockwood, Dahlen, Boeser, Granlund, Lind, Juolevi, Macewan, etc.) but aren't scared to go to the dirty areas either.

All around team toughness will be the new way. I see Petterson as a more gritty/tenacious type player than the Sedins. This kid back checks as hard as he drives offence. 

That's why we have guys like LeBate, Virtanen, Macewan, Gubranson, Dorsett, Gunnarson, Tryamkin, Gadjovich, Pedan, etc. & more coming in the system.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

It's called balance. We definitely need to re-stock the skill (which is by far the hardest to fill) first & then add in the muscle (which is easier to find). 

Benning also seems to be adding guys with skill (Petterson, Gaudette, Palmu, Gadjovich, Virtanen, Lockwood, Dahlen, Boeser, Granlund, Lind, Juolevi, Macewan, etc.) but aren't scared to go to the dirty areas either.

All around team toughness will be the new way. I see Petterson as a more gritty/tenacious type player than the Sedins. This kid back checks as hard as he drives offence. 

That's why we have guys like LeBate, Virtanen, Macewan, Gubranson, Dorsett, Gunnarson, Tryamkin, Gadjovich, Pedan, etc. & more coming in the system.

My only reservation to that is, it never really works properly unless your muscle also has the skill to play on the top two lines. We need to find a couple of players like that. Gadjovich might be one, Jake might be one, McEwen might be one but players like LaBate will not figure on the ice when it matters imo.

I'm thinking of players similar to Iginla, Lucic, Landeskog, Nick Foligno, Dubinsky, Hartnell, Getzlaf. 

Edited by alfstonker
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

My only reservation to that is, it never really works properly unless your muscle also has the skill to play on the top two lines. We need to find a couple of players like that. Gadjovich might be one, Jake might be one, McEwen might be one but players like LaBate will not figure on the ice when it matters imo.

I'm thinking of players similar to Iginla, Lucic, Landeskog, Nick Foligno, Dubinsky, Hartnell, Getzlaf. 

You just named 3 above & we're still rebuilding. If we keep drafting like we have in the past few years we should have more coming through the pipe lines & IF we still need some added muscle we could do that through FA.

Hartnell, Kunitz,  Kassian, Kane, Lucic, can be added when needed through FA.

Petterson's are not FA's.

Edited by CoolCanucklehead
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Having Dahlen in Utica would be nice for call-up possibilities....but....we already have MacEwen, Labate, Grennier,  Molino and at least one of Virtanen or Goldy down in Utica.

....I also don't think Dahlen will be ready until spring (or next year)....so I am all for him playing with Pettersson, developing chemistry is never a bad thing....

I agree with this. 

We always seem to get this rush of impatience (Jake and Jared) after the prospect camp and look how that worked out. We need to have patience, these players are very young and still learning. The Swedish league is a top top league and these boys will probably be put into programmes to build some muscle, it is far better doing that where the game is based more on skill and speed than the more physical AHL imo. I'm happy just to see the boys who are physically ready to make the leap just now and to wait for the others to develop elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

On 7/7/2017 at 4:56 AM, Drewismyname said:

The sedins just never learned how to find the middle ground between playoff hockey and regular season hockey.

You have to sympathize with d sedin getting taken off the ice every time versteeg baits him in 2010 and then him getting speedbagged but its his fault for not adapting

Unfortunately, thats how it played out

8QB1nLy.gif

5 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

This kid has skill and confidence coming out his ying yang. He wasn't my first choice at 5 but if he gains weight and strength as he should, he could definitely be a 1st liner. His shootout moves are spectacular. 

I'm happy that you have finally excepted Pettersson into the family despite hoping for other options at #5. I know you and many other posters weren't the happiest after the pick. It shows a lot of maturity and openness on your part. Good job, buddy. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Let's Brock 'n' Bo said:

Yes I'd say higher than Gabe & Glass

You betcha. But of course when LA throws Vilardi in their third or fourth line next season in a checking role because his body is NHL ready the EP's, the more or less "near sighted" posters of CDC will be up in arms :lol:

• Upvote 1