The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

We have all been joking about the Broken ankles EP has been causing....it's not going to be joke anymore because it will really happen to someone this season...

Player safety committee is going to be dogging EP to get him to make slower moves....

I feel sorry for Ryan Strome, now it's known as "Strom ing" people.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, martybyrd said:

I was thinking the same thing...

I think EP and Brock are destined to play together...you can see it on the PPs.

They seem to be each others 1st option..even when opposite sides of the ice.

Honestly feel they can become a Gretzky/Kurri  Oates/Hull type pairing.

Who was the 3rd winger on these lines ?.....exactly

Why not give Jake a look with these type of talents...maybe rubs off and elevates his game a bit.

Can also see Rousell being a good fit w/them.

Bo and Baer can head up the 2nd line.

We're really in need of another couple Top 6 guys to be a contender..

I wonder what it would take to get Nylander from the Leafs.

They really have some major Cap issues ahead...and honestly feel they'd be willing to move him.

(Tanev and a cheap Winger do it ?)

I think ideally would be someone between the ages of Bo and EP.

Our 1st rounder next year will be 6 yrs younger than Bo

I think these 3 guys..EP/Bo and Brock are enough to build a core around

I'd like to see either Goldobin or Leipsic be the other winger for Horvat and Baertschi - wouldn't make for a bad other attacking line.  I don't like to call them 1 & 2 or even 1a &1b - because they really aren't there... yet.  But in a couple of years, who knows?  Both Goldobin and Leipsic looked good with Horvat at times last year.  

If Pettersson is the only one to make the Canucks out of camp, it leaves a pretty good group in Utica:

Dahlen       Gaudette   Lind
Gadjovich  Gaunce (assuming he clears)  Palmu
Archibald (assuming he clears)  Motte  Jasek/McEwan

Juolevi    McEneny
Sautner   Biega

Brisbois   Chatfield

Brassard 

Demko

Bachman

Still developing elsewhere:
              Zhukenov      Lockwood
              Madden         Manukyan

Hughes       Tryamkin

Rathbone    Woo

Gunnarsson Utunen

Dipietro

Thiessen

Love that video where everyone is questioning Pettersson at 5th OA.  I am not going to lie - I was one of them.  But as soon as I started doing my research I could see why Benning made the selection and I started warming to the idea.  Pettersson has knocked our socks off in everything he's done ever since.

What a pick. Like any GM, Benning has had his misses too but picks like this really show he's well above average when it comes to drafting.  And Boeser at... what was it... 24th?  Come on.  These guys have/will end up as some of the top talent in their respective drafts and were passed over by other GMs. If Benning wasn't so astute as to make these picks our team wouldn't have anywhere close to the bright outlook we do.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

I &^@#in told the Canuck community on hfboards.com here too btw, told them that no matter what happens and if for some reason Vilardi or MIttlestlestadt was on the board and we were not picking in the top 2, we will not be selecting those guys.  Vilardi btw hasn't seen action yet with a back injury, and no, its not like Juolevi back injury his injury is apparently worse. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

This is pure gold. I know hindsight is 20/20, but this is a shining example of why scouts are paid to scout, and internet knowitalls are not. 

Edited - said 50/50 and meant 20/20.

Edited by fogducker
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, fogducker said:

This is pure gold. I know hindsight is 50/50, but this is a shining example of why scouts are paid to scout, and internet knowitalls are not. 

This is too funny. And it proves winning the lotto might not get you the best player. And we don't know who the best player of any draft is until usually a couple seasons. If we won the draft we would not have EP. And I know its early but I feel we will feel the same about Hughes also.Could Canuck luck be changing?

On ‎2018‎-‎09‎-‎23 at 10:46 AM, cory40 said:

Some in Sweden say he is the Sweden Gretzky and could be the best player in the world when he has matured.

On ‎2018‎-‎09‎-‎23 at 10:59 AM, playboi19 said:

Calm down Sweden

As well as some fans lol

He hasn't even played a 82 season of  NHL games let one just one at this point

He may end up being a great player for us, but he has many years before mentioned with Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid

^^ I think we're just having fun. It's been a boring off season, excited with preseason hockey, and Pettersson is not disappointing. In fact, he's probably been our best player in preseason so far. There will only be 1 Gretzky and Lemieux etc. But there will also only be 1 Pettersson :)

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

As well as some fans lol

He may end up being a great player for us, but he has many years before mentioned with Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid

How is McDavid on that list at tis point in his career?

Edited by smokes
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

As well as some fans lol

Just all fun and games about a top tier prospect. And top tier prospects bring excitement and projections.

Edited by cory40

On 9/23/2018 at 8:29 PM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

We have all been joking about the Broken ankles EP has been causing....it's not going to be joke anymore because it will really happen to someone this season...

Player safety committee is going to be dogging EP to get him to make slower moves....

Knowing the NHL, they will probably suspend him one game for too much fancy stick work resulting in broken ankle. 

• Haha 1

On 9/23/2018 at 8:27 PM, martybyrd said:

I was thinking the same thing...

I think EP and Brock are destined to play together...you can see it on the PPs.

They seem to be each others 1st option..even when opposite sides of the ice.

Honestly feel they can become a Gretzky/Kurri  Oates/Hull type pairing.

Who was the 3rd winger on these lines ?.....exactly

Why not give Jake a look with these type of talents...maybe rubs off and elevates his game a bit.

Can also see Rousell being a good fit w/them.

Bo and Baer can head up the 2nd line.

We're really in need of another couple Top 6 guys to be a contender..

I wonder what it would take to get Nylander from the Leafs.

They really have some major Cap issues ahead...and honestly feel they'd be willing to move him.

(Tanev and a cheap Winger do it ?)

I think ideally would be someone between the ages of Bo and EP.

Our 1st rounder next year will be 6 yrs younger than Bo

I think these 3 guys..EP/Bo and Brock are enough to build a core around

If that's Jack Hughes, 6yrs is not going to matter :) 

One lesson learned is that this team, no matter how high we think of our own province and the city, has not been able to attract top UFAs (not counting the signing of the past the prime players like Sundin and Messier). We seem to have no problem keeping guys once they come but getting them to come in the first place has been difficult.

We have to rely on drafting and trading to acquire top level players whereas a team like Chicago can draft the core but can always seem to be able to fill any gaps via UFA (e.g., Hossa). In fact, you can say that is the case for all Canadian teams including the Maple Leafs (before Tavares decided to come home, which marquee NHL player signed as a UFA with them and how long ago was it?). Perhaps that is the reason why it has been so long since a Canadian team has won a cup since you have to manage the team to perfection to win as a Canadian franchise whereas US teams can do a quick fix.

I agree that we have some nice pieces. EP-Boeser are first line players I think they should play together starting this season. But we definitely need a player or two to help Bo on the second line. Baer has never had a full season and I don't see him as a long term solution. I don't like Nylander option because he is not a complete player but will cost as one and we have to give up quite a bit to get him. Goldobin is not a complete player yet and I don't see him as becoming one (I hope I'm wrong and I do think that he has improved quite a bit since his arrival but somehow I don't see him getting there).

The only way I see it is if one of the young players emerges as a top 6 player (we have few candidates in Dahlen, Lind, Gaudette, Virtanen, Palmu, Gadjovich with Dahlen having the best chance to get there) and we draft one more top 6 player next season, which will probably be a top 10 pick again. If it happens to be a top 3 pick then our rebuild will be completed sooner. 

Defence has some nice pieces with 1 potential top 2D (Hughes), 1 top 3D (Juolevi), a couple of potential top 4/5 D (Woo, Briesbois), and various top 5/6/7 D players (e.g., Chatfield, Sautner, McEneny). There is also wildcards in Tryamkin (a top 3/4D) and Rathbone (anywhere from top2D to top 6D???) it will take at least 2 seasons for some of these guys to round into form. 

So, in a nutshell, we are still about 2-3 years out from making the playoffs. We've had a long period of sustained success from Nazzy era and Sedin era (2000/2001 to 2014/2015) where we missed playoffs like 3 times in 14 seasons? During this period we've only had 3 top 10 draft picks: Virtanen, Horvat, and Hodgson (not counting Bourdon). Horvat was drafted with an acquired pick so really, just Hodgson and Virtanen.

I guess a long period of success has to be followed by a long rebuild. The only regret is that we failed to win the cup in this 15 years; I think we should have had one in 2011 or 2012 and Nazzy team should have bad a better chance in 2004 with healthy Nazzy and Bert in the lineup and a more generous owner spending money on a more consistent goaltender.