The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

48 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Don't get me wrong, I love Burr and what he can still do, but man that was a nice trade. 

Honestly unbelievable. Well, it is until I think about Burr's defensive value and his worth as a leader on and off the ice.

Still highway robbery though.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Lakers said:

Well, as promised I'm giving you some stuff that you might not get over here. 
Earlier today Elias had an interview with our local radio and the translation is something like this:

(R is for Reporter and EP... well, you can guess that)

R: What do you need to improve to make it in the NHL?
EP: There's really no secret that I need to get stronger, but I'm very aware of that and it's something I'm working on every day
R: Just bulk up basically?
EP: Exactly! I'm a bit thin as it is right now...
R: ...Thin for a hockey player maybe - you're twice my size haha!
EP: Haha absolutely not! But yeah... gaining some muscles and I'll be ready for North America
R: Do you feel any pressure regarding that you need to have a "good season" or even next year because if you don't the Canucks wouldn't let you go over seas?
EP: Nah. I don't feel pressure, I never feel pressure. I've joined an organization in Sweden that are very driven, with superb work ethics in every aspect of the day. I'm really pleased with my choice of team in Sweden and they will make sure that I'm developing into the type of player that's going to make it in the NHL.
R: .... But, are you feeling that your stay in the Lakers needs to be really good or?
EP: *Sigh* no, it's nothing I'm thinking about. It's not like... let's say I have a bad game and then think "Well, next game I need to score two goals otherwise the Canucks wouldn't want me to join them in the future". All I can do is playing a solid game, doing my very best and the rest is just going to happen. It's always been like that for me.
R: Yeah, well, it worked out last season...
EP: Yeah, but... it's not guaranteed. It's hard work, every single day. You can't be successful without hard work.
R: Vancouver are counting on that you're going to be one of their best players in the future, since you were drafted as #5. In most of the cases, players that are drafted as high as that have become very successful. With a fast car in the garage, money in the bank and so on. Have you even tried to grasp the fact that it might be you in the future?
EP: Well, obviously you start to daydream from time to time... That many NHL-players earn a lot of money, and are living in their own dream world. But they have worked super hard and they've been driven to get to that level too. And it's always been my dream and I'm motivated to make it happen.
R: Since it all happened this summer, have you felt the fact that people are recognizing you on the streets? Wanting to take selfies and getting your autograph?
EP: Well, there have been some change that's for sure. Some Canucks fans have sent me messages with motivating stuff like "you're our next superstar" and "you're going to become one of the greatest" it's super exciting. I take my time to answer some of the messages, just hoping that it'll make their day. 
R: Do you enjoy being a celebrity?
EP: Naah, celebrity is a stretch. I think hockey-people in Sweden and Canucks-fans knows who I am. But I don't really care if I'm being honest. I just try to have fun and enjoy my life. But I'm always going to take good care of my fans, if they want a picture or an autograph I'm never going to say no. I've been a fan too growing up, if it'll make someone's day, that means everything. 

Well... I think you might have a future captain if everything goes as planned ^_^

Fantastic!

great job and thank you for post this. 

The biggest take away I have from EP's own words is that he is so relaxed and not feeling pressure combined with a high work experience ethic. 

He knows that he can play the game and is very skilled. He knows that hard work will pay off along with his skill and IQ. This sounds like a player with unbreakabke confidence without any arrogance. He won't be cocky, but chill and be the guy you want holding the puck with seconds left down a goal.  

So stoked about this guy. 

• Upvote 4

On 2017-09-12 at 1:40 PM, Lakers said:

Well, as promised I'm giving you some stuff that you might not get over here. 
Earlier today Elias had an interview with our local radio and the translation is something like this:

(R is for Reporter and EP... well, you can guess that)

Well... I think you might have a future captain if everything goes as planned ^_^

Thank you. More please.

dog that face more please GIF
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MB_Nux_Fan said:

My girlfriend and I are going to Norway this October, she's a musician and has some events over there. Just so happens that we will be going to watch Elias Pettersson and the Vaxjo Lakers playing in Karlstad!!! I'm soooo pumped for this trip. 

Hope you have a great trip! Norway is a beautiful country. I'm jealous because whenever I get over to that part of the world, I usually spend all my time in little old Denmark (where my entire extended family lives) and it's rare that I ever get to hop over to Norway or Sweden and enjoy the natural beauty of those countries. Not that Denmark isn't pretty or a great place to visit. It's just kinda small and after living in BC for most of my life, it's pretty funny to go back and look at a Danish "mountain":

IMG_0890.JPG.b92e73573a10db34a395c13555a1eaac.JPG

The above is Himmelbjerget or "Sky Mountain" (the highest point in Denmark) and it always makes me laugh (at the name in particular). Especially having lived many years under the Vancouver mountain skyline and enjoying the natural wonders of this Province.

Hope the game (and the whole trip) goes well and you have a report for those of us who can't be there. :) 

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, MB_Nux_Fan said:

My girlfriend and I are going to Norway this October, she's a musician and has some events over there. Just so happens that we will be going to watch Elias Pettersson and the Vaxjo Lakers playing in Karlstad!!! I'm soooo pumped for this trip. 

Really? Thats super cool! You'll notice the atmosphere in SHL differs a bit from the NHL.... Something like this:

(Sorry for super off-topic)

Edited by Lakers

56 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

This is a pet peave of mine.  Players need strength not bulk.  The muscle needs to be put on right or it is just dead weight that needs to be accelerated and maneuvered.  When your game is speed and skill you need to have a high power to weight ratio. 

I agree and this is a concept that a lot of people don't fully understand. In my past life I was a certified personal trainer - now since moved onto another career but so many people new to lifting/weight training don't fully understand the time it takes for not only your muscles but your ligaments and tendons to develop properly to any real long-term strength you hope to acquire.  Younger people in their teens/20's rarely have that fully developed muscle/ligament/tendon strength combination that some people call 'man strength' because it takes years to fully develop.  

OJ may indeed have put on sheer size in terms of weight but I can virtually guarantee you he doesn't yet have the overall strength of the 25 or 30yo guys in the league that are his exact same size or even many guys that are older but somewhat smaller. 

Good thing is that there's no doubt,  with the right diet, training and recovery - he'll definitely get there. You can maximize physical development with training but you simply can't teach OJ's elite hockey sense imo.  Same can be said of Elias.

• Upvote 2

On 9/16/2017 at 8:58 AM, MB_Nux_Fan said:

Cool. Does she play in a black metal band perhaps?

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I agree and this is a concept that a lot of people don't fully understand. In my past life I was a certified personal trainer - now since moved onto another career but so many people new to lifting/weight training don't fully understand the time it takes for not only your muscles but your ligaments and tendons to develop properly to any real long-term strength you hope to acquire.  Younger people in their teens/20's rarely have that fully developed muscle/ligament/tendon strength combination that some people call 'man strength' because it takes years to fully develop.  

OJ may indeed have put on sheer size in terms of weight but I can virtually guarantee you he doesn't yet have the overall strength of the 25 or 30yo guys in the league that are his exact same size or even many guys that are older but somewhat smaller. 

Good thing is that there's no doubt,  with the right diet, training and recovery - he'll definitely get there. You can maximize physical development with training but you simply can't teach OJ's elite hockey sense imo.  Same can be said of Elias.

This is exactly the reason why I don't want Juolevi in the NHL this year. Even if the muscle strength is there. Tendons, ligaments and bones cannot have developed at equal pace, the risk of severe injury is too big.

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

It has a lot less to do with tendon and bone strength and more to do with neural connections. As you get older your neuromuscular connections get more efficient, and your body can recruit more muscle fibers in a movement. This is what you're seeing when talking about "man strength".

Tendons and ligaments develop at a fairly similar pace to muscle. He wont be as strong as someone his size with 5 years on him, but I wouldn't be worried about any sort of injuries stemming from bodily development. That only tends to be a real issue with people heavily on steroids, where muscular development is sped up far beyond the amount of load being put on the tendons.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

It has a lot less to do with tendon and bone strength and more to do with neural connections. As you get older your neuromuscular connections get more efficient, and your body can recruit more muscle fibers in a movement. This is what you're seeing when talking about "man strength".

Tendons and ligaments develop at a fairly similar pace to muscle. He wont be as strong as someone his size with 5 years on him, but I wouldn't be worried about any sort of injuries stemming from bodily development. That only tends to be a real issue with people heavily on steroids, where muscular development is sped up far beyond the amount of load being put on the tendons.

My man

QFT

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MB_Nux_Fan said:

Close, she's a fiddle player. 

This made me laugh out loud!   Awesome.

As a self-professed metal fan who likes a lot of what Scandinavia has to offer (such as Soilwork etc.), thinking of one of those bands with a fiddle player made me laugh in a good way.   Might be a very unique thing to get your girlfriend to try - fiddle version of Living Infinite II - may be a smash hit in Norway for her!

• Upvote 1

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎16 at 8:58 AM, MB_Nux_Fan said:

Take lots of money...it is very expensive there!......But Beautiful!

1 hour ago, BananaMash said:

It has a lot less to do with tendon and bone strength and more to do with neural connections. As you get older your neuromuscular connections get more efficient, and your body can recruit more muscle fibers in a movement. This is what you're seeing when talking about "man strength". Tendons and ligaments develop at a fairly similar pace to muscle. He wont be as strong as someone his size with 5 years on him, but I wouldn't be worried about any sort of injuries stemming from bodily development.

Could you explain? In my understanding different structures (muscle, ligaments, bone, tendon, cartilage) develop at different pace depending on their proteine structure and nourishment. Muscle strength is gained easily whereas ligaments and bones adapt very slowly.

That only tends to be a real issue with people heavily on steroids, where muscular development is sped up far beyond the amount of load being put on the tendons.

So you are saying all physical growth in hockey is purely natural and there is no "supplemented" assistance?

1 minute ago, joe-max said:

Could you explain? In my understanding different structures (muscle, ligaments, bone, tendon, cartilage) develop at different pace depending on their proteine structure and nourishment. Muscle strength is gained easily whereas ligaments and bones adapt very slowly.

So you are saying all physical growth in hockey is purely natural and there is no "supplemented" assistance?

Think of it kind of like a hierarchy of development. Assuming someone isn't suffering from an active illness or severely malnourished, it'll look something like this in terms of development speed: 

Muscle

Tendon

Ligament

Bone

The gap between muscle and tendon development isn't that wide. Likewise, the gap between ligament and bone development isn't that wide. For someone putting on 15lbs over muscle over the time-frame of multiple months, the difference in "gain" between muscle and tendon isn't going to be very wide. In addition to that, unless he has an underlying issue like osteoporosis (or ignored mobility work completely), bone and ligament issues are very unlikely.

And when it comes to actual strength, neural-muscular connections are more important. That's what comes with age.

And no, I'm not saying that professional athletes aren't on PEDs. I'd never believe that in a million years. You just don't see issues as much unless they're putting on absurd amounts of muscle, recklessly. Think someone like Jim Wendler, who in his prime in the powerlifting circuit was carrying far more muscle than his body was equipped to really handle.

• Upvote 1