The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

16 minutes ago, Canuck Drogo said:

Alright, let’s see how wrong I get this lol:

1. Buffalo - Dahlin

2. Carolina - Svechnikov

3. Montreal - Zadina (I just can’t see them passing on this talent)

4. Ottawa to Colorado - With Zadina off the board Ottawa gives up this year’s pick instead of next (what a terrible trade btw). Colorado has really shored up their back which makes me think they add some grit up front with Tkachuk. 

5. Arizona - Dobson 

6. Detroit - Hughes - I can’t see them passing on this dynamic University of Michigan d man. 

7. Vancouver - Wahlstrom - having a one-two punch of him and Boeser will finally take us out of the dark ages of consistently being amongst the lowest scoring teams. 

8. Chicago - Boqvist - i think they covet Wahlstrom and will try their best to swap picks with us. Having missed out on that sniper they opt to add to their back end. 

9. NY Rangers - Kotkaniemi

10. Edmonton - Bouchard - Oilers fans cry tears of joy to get a potentially NHL ready defenceman that can dish the puck as great as any other in this draft. 

In this scenario, with these players still on the board for us, I’d be very torn between Wahlstrom and Bouchard and would love to land either. Honestly this year’s top 10 is stacked and I’d be stoked with any of these players.

This is my personal order of preference for the players that could be available to us: Zadina, Hughes, Dobson, Wahlstrom, Bouchard,

Boqvist, Kotkaniemi, Tkachuk 

If things shake out like in your mock, well done by the way, I hope the Nucks take Kotkaniemi. A centre is just more valuable. However, I would be quite happy with Wahlstrom if that is how things go.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning: "There was 2 kids in particular who we thought did a really good job through the interview process. They have a chance to be a captain of an NHL team one day." #Canucks

Not really a vote of confidence for Bo?

More like praise for the players he's thinking of.  Bo has nothing to do with it

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning: "There was 2 kids in particular who we thought did a really good job through the interview process. They have a chance to be a captain of an NHL team one day." #Canucks

To me it sounds like a strong vote of confidence for those two young men.

I do not see how Bo even enters the conversation as the view that the two men will make good captains and the view Bo will make a good captain are not mutually exclusive (I love using terms from my old days in Stats classes!!).

EDIT: Silly goose beat me to it!!

26 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

This is from the KHL Playoffs, where Kravstov set a record for the most points by a U-20 player.

I’d definitely be open to taking Kravtsov if we managed to get another mid-1st. 

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Don’t think it has anything to do with that.  Bo will be the next captain

Looking deeper into Kravstov's production, here are some of his comparables:

Tarasenko: 24 points in 42 regular season games (0.57 PPG)

Nichushkin: 6 points in 18 regular season games (0.33 PPG), 9 points in 25 Playoff games (0.36 PPG)

Kuznetsov: 8 points in 35 regular season games (0.23 PPG), 1 point in 4 Playoff games (0.25 PPG)

Kravstov: 7 points in 35 regular season games (0.20 PPG), 11 points in 16 Playoff games (0.69 nice PPG)

As you can see, Kravstov had a pretty good year in the KHL. There aren't a whole lot of draft eligible Russian players who play as many games as he did in the KHL, so that in and of itself is an achievement. However, you can see that his production explodes in the Playoffs. For me, there are two ways to look at this: Kravstov is a big game player, has the killer instinct and his high end skill to produce high end levels and should be a great scorer in the NHL, or, one stretch of 16 games might have severely inflated his career projections and now he's getting overrated. On top of that, there's the Russian factor. It's really tough to gauge whether he'll be more like Nichushkin or Kuznetsov. According to McKenzie, he's gotten some discussion as a top 5 pick, but will most likely go in the mid 1st. He would be an excellent boom or bust pick in that range if we landed another 1st rounder.  

39 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Benning mentions two players who knocked the interview out of the park. In my mind, the two players who most likely fit that bill are Bouchard and Smith. Bouchard was named captain of the Knights this year and lead his team to the Playoffs in a rebuilding year. Smith is a high character kid who captained Team Canada at the U18's, wears an A in Spokane and could reasonably wear a letter in the NHL. 

Canucks didn't interview Bouchard after the combine so I think he's out of the question. 

Also sounds like Tkachuk and Wahlstrom are out of the question too....

My bet:

1) Zadina / Kotkaniemi

2) Hughes / Boqvist / Dobson

Can't go wrong with any of those picks and it would be great if we could add another 1st to grab 2 of them!

I am pretty set on Dobson or Wahlstrom at this point.  

We will have a choice of a few of  Bouchard, Tkatchuk, Wahlstrom, Hughes, Boqvist.  I'm  fine with any of them, but I think Dobson is our best bet to get a top pairing Dman.  I do think that Wahlstrom could end up being the 2nd best forward in the draft.  Petterson, Boeser and Wahlstrom on the PP could be a deadly combo.

This is going to be an exciting couple hours for sure!

Quick quote from an article by the Athletic looking at the best defenders according to the data categories used by the CHL.

https://theathletic.com/398538/2018/06/20/brown-the-best-draft-eligible-defencemen-in-five-categories-tracked-by-the-chl-data-tracking-project/

"If there’s one takeaway from this article, it’s that Ty Smith and K’Andre Miller are both excellent players. Of the nine different ways we evaluated the prospects, Ty Smith was top-four in five of them. Miller was top-two in six categories, including every measure of offence and the top player in neutral zone defence.

Unsurprisingly, Ryan Merkley was the best in exits, entries, shot assists, and scoring chance assists per 60. His skill level is elite, there’s no denying that."

As I've been saying for months, Smith is one of the highest rated defenseman in the CHL and this entire draft in terms of advanced metrics. His defensive numbers were very good and his offensive numbers were borderline historic for a draft eligible defenseman (I've written so many variations of that statement over the last couple of months :lol:). Literally the only metrics that aren't in Smith's favour are his physical measurements. He would be a good pick at 7th and nobody should be surprised if he goes ahead of any of Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes, etc. I really don't like the idea of Chicago or Edmonton landing this guy as he would help them out a great deal. 

The fact that Miller looks so good in these metrics is surprising and very impressive when you consider that he was only recently converted to defense. I don't remember exactly, but I think his offensive translation numbers were among the highest in the draft among defensemen. Combine that with a with a 6'3, 200 pond frame and he becomes a very intriguing prospect. At this point, it's not very likely that he lasts until the 2nd round.

Of course, Merkley is still among the best defensemen in the draft statistically. Everyone knows that his problems are everywhere except his skillset. 

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Maybe Kravtsov is the Pettersson, the guy no one expected JB did not want to pass on?

MacKenzie says teams have him in the top 5...

A Russian RW? No thanks. Gives me Sergei Shirokov flashbacks lol

17 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

BUF - Dahlin

CAR - Svechnikov

MTL - Kotkaniemi

COL (from OTT) - Zadina

ARI - Tkachuk

DET - Hughes

VAN - (RD) Bouchard or (C) Veleno

This is a crazy draft. So many people saying so many different things and the draft itself, past number two, is gonna be wild.

Dobson is slated to be a top 5 pick. Yet your mock seems reasonable. Would you personally take Bouchard over Dobson? I would love either of those two guys...but I also would like one of the top forwards as lots of knowledgeable people think forwards future performance is easier to predict.

Archived