The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hate to break this to you, but the draft actually starts at five our time.  :(  That's an extra hour of waiting. 

Oh really? well, I guess another hour isn't too bad. I set my PVR to SN, which says the Draft is from 4:00 to 7:00. Maybe the first hour is pre-draft talk etc. But I also like that stuff.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Heard earlier today, on 650 by Dhaliwal, that Pittsburgh was interested in Skinner.

Interesting, I wonder where Kessel is going? I remember this one Penguins fan during last year's playoffs, he got a tattoo of Kessel in a Pens uniform holding a hotdog. Sheesh, some people. lol I guess it never donned on him that players get traded.

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Interesting, I wonder where Kessel is going? I remember this one Penguins fan during last year's playoffs, he got a tattoo of Kessel in a Pens uniform holding a hotdog. Sheesh, some people. lol I guess it never donned on him that players get traded.

It's ok to make a mistake as long as it's of a champian ;)

image.png.f49994209c59ab358a0cf17747726c74.png

11 minutes ago, FS91 said:

Dont know much about Bouchard, but heard comparisons to Wade Redden.

Anyone that know more about him able to weigh in on this? 

not even remotely like wade Redden.  Bouchard is an offensive machine who will qb an NHL PP within the next 2 years

1 minute ago, stawns said:

not even remotely like wade Redden.  Bouchard is an offensive machine who will qb an NHL PP within the next 2 years

The comparisons were talking more about skating, I agree that Bouchard seems to be much more offensively gifted 

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Quick quote from an article by the Athletic looking at the best defenders according to the data categories used by the CHL.

https://theathletic.com/398538/2018/06/20/brown-the-best-draft-eligible-defencemen-in-five-categories-tracked-by-the-chl-data-tracking-project/

"If there’s one takeaway from this article, it’s that Ty Smith and K’Andre Miller are both excellent players. Of the nine different ways we evaluated the prospects, Ty Smith was top-four in five of them. Miller was top-two in six categories, including every measure of offence and the top player in neutral zone defence.

Unsurprisingly, Ryan Merkley was the best in exits, entries, shot assists, and scoring chance assists per 60. His skill level is elite, there’s no denying that."

As I've been saying for months, Smith is one of the highest rated defenseman in the CHL and this entire draft in terms of advanced metrics. His defensive numbers were very good and his offensive numbers were borderline historic for a draft eligible defenseman (I've written so many variations of that statement over the last couple of months :lol:). Literally the only metrics that aren't in Smith's favour are his physical measurements. He would be a good pick at 7th and nobody should be surprised if he goes ahead of any of Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes, etc. I really don't like the idea of Chicago or Edmonton landing this guy as he would help them out a great deal. 

The fact that Miller looks so good in these metrics is surprising and very impressive when you consider that he was only recently converted to defense. I don't remember exactly, but I think his offensive translation numbers were among the highest in the draft among defensemen. Combine that with a with a 6'3, 200 pond frame and he becomes a very intriguing prospect. At this point, it's not very likely that he lasts until the 2nd round.

Of course, Merkley is still among the best defensemen in the draft statistically. Everyone knows that his problems are everywhere except his skillset. 

Great post! I hate to sound like a broken record but K’Andre Miller has so much raw talent that it’s disgusting lol! 

Miller’s size, skating, and the way he plays offence reminds me so much of Brent Burns. Part of that might also be because they’re both converted offensemen turned D. 

That article you posted just made me that much more eager for JB to do something aggressive to draft him. I would gladly trade Tanev for him straight up if anyone in the mid to late range if the first draft was willing to bite. 

Well, on the surface, Severson checks a few boxes. He's got good size (6'2" 205) and is only 23, shoots right. But he's never scored 10 goals in an NHL season. Is this guy supposed to improve our goal scoring from the back end? lol Benning did say they would draft based on what the player becomes in 5 years. Can he say that Severson will be better than Bouchard, Dobson and Hughes? If so, then I hope they draft Wahlstrom.

56 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Oh really? well, I guess another hour isn't too bad. I set my PVR to SN, which says the Draft is from 4:00 to 7:00. Maybe the first hour is pre-draft talk etc. But I also like that stuff.

56 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I believe it starts at 4:30, not 5:00.

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd probably hope for a late 1st faller, but I had him ranked him ranked at 32 for GML.

Funny, I had pick 32. I don't recall getting any calls from you? 

But yeah, I had him at 32 as well. And did take a faller; had the choice of Serron Noel or Grigori Denisenko.  Be great if that were the case, or Addison was available?

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

A REALLY good, young D from NJD... 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=124610

I'd be happy to get him personally.

I was a whimpering sock when we passed on Severson his draft year!

I imagine Jersey's first and Severson is too much to ask for Tanev…  :P

Archived