The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Van had deal with VGK to trade down

Seannnp

10 minutes ago, Stormtrooper Steve said:

During an Interview with NBC after Vegas selection, Mcphee said He talked to Benning about moving up but he knew Glass would still be available so declined. My guess is Benning told him at the last minute. (as I remember at a"behind the scene" at the draft a few years ago Benning telling some one on the phone who he's taking). Classic nice guy Benning. Sounds like he had Elias picked along. 

Yeah I remember this as well, how Benning told someone who the Canucks were picking, just before Benning walked up to the mic and announced it to the entire arena...

regards,  G.

5 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Maybe Benning did talk to other GMs about trading down, as folks here were suggesting that he should. Maybe McPhee got a hint of that from discussions with one of those other GMs, who Benning had talked to about trading down. This could have given McPhee the idea that Glass was not on the Canucks' radar.

Or, you can just believe that Benning somehow blew it, because it's simpler that way.

regards,  G.

Or someone on a soon to be fired scouting department opened his yap.  Who knows?  If it happened as reported, McPhee somehow found out because someone with the Canucks talked to the wrong person.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Or someone on a soon to be fired scouting department opened his yap.  Who knows?  If it happened as reported, McPhee somehow found out because someone with the Canucks talked to the wrong person.

Or maybe McPhee just decided he didn't want to pay to move up his selection as he felt if he didn't get Glass he could still take Mittlestadt, or Rasmussen, or Vilardi or...

regards,  G.

Just now, Gollumpus said:

Or maybe McPhee just decided he didn't want to pay to move up his selection as he felt if he didn't get Glass he could still take Mittlestadt, or Rasmussen, or Vilardi or...

regards,  G.

Or a blue fairy flew out of his derrière and whispered in his ear....  Nobody here knows one way or another.  For anybody to flat out deny it could have happened because it involves their favourite team, is pretty homerish. 

18 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Just because you don't want something to be true doesn't mean that it isn't.  Between Benning putting his foot in his mouth in the past and the scouts who know that they are losing their jobs soon, it's very possible that McPhee caught wind of who Benning was planning to take.

Nah, I mean the deal(with them two teams), didn't happen. Ultimately amounts to another forgettable detail, in a world filled with much more serious issues.

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Nah, I mean the deal(with them two teams), didn't happen. Ultimately amounts to another forgettable detail, in a world filled with much more serious issues.

Ah ok, gotcha.  That makes more sense.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

Or a blue fairy flew out of his derrière and whispered in his ear....  Nobody here knows one way or another.  For anybody to flat out deny it could have happened because it involves their favourite team, is pretty homerish. 

And who has flat out denied that it could have happened? Not me. To my mind the scenarios I have outlined are as likely, if not more likely than those the tin foil beanie crowd are suggesting. 

This being said, I would have gone with green...

regards,  G.

6 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

And who has flat out denied that it could have happened? Not me. To my mind the scenarios I have outlined are as likely, if not more likely than those the tin foil beanie crowd are suggesting. 

This being said, I would have gone with green...

regards,  G.

I never said you.  A few people have denied it though.  McPhee flat out said that the deal was in place with Vancouver but that he changed his mind because he believed his guy (Glass) would be there at 6.

That means that he made a tentative deal with Benning and then some new information came to light at the last minute that made him think that Glass would be there at 6 and that's what made him pull out of the deal.  The only mystery is, where did McPhee's information come from.

41 minutes ago, Stormtrooper Steve said:

During an Interview with NBC after Vegas selection, Mcphee said He talked to Benning about moving up but he knew Glass would still be available so declined. My guess is Benning told him at the last minute. (as I remember at a"behind the scene" at the draft a few years ago Benning telling some one on the phone who he's taking). Classic nice guy Benning. Sounds like he had Elias picked along. 

I wonder, JB might have even said, "George, tell me who you're goin for..if it's the same guy, we'll certainly listen to offers." If McPhee answers truthfully, Jimbo says, "Don't worry. He'll be there."

Such class may cost assets along the way, but the goodwill & trust it engenders(with rival GM's) is a currency that'll likely pay off in future dealings.

A few of these scenarios play out(over time) & a GM carries weight & respect amongst his peers.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

I never said you.  A few people have though.  McPhee flat out said that the deal was in place with Vancouver but that he changed his mind because he believed his guy (Glass) would be there at 6.

That means that he made a tentative deal with Benning and then some new information came to light at the last minute that made him think that Glass would be there at 6 and that's what made him pull out of the deal.  The only mystery is, where did McPhee's information come from.

And there's a big difference between "knew" and "believed" that his guy would be there at 6, no?

regards,  G.

1 minute ago, Gollumpus said:

And there's a big difference between "knew" and "believed" that his guy would be there at 6, no?

regards,  G.

Not really.  Not if he was willing to trade up only one spot.  McPhee doesn't strike me as an indecisive person who changes his mind at the last second.

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I wonder, JB might have even said, "George, tell me who you're goin for..if it's the same guy, we'll certainly listen to offers." If McPhee answers truthfully, Jimbo says, "Don't worry. He'll be there."

Such class may cost assets along the way, but the goodwill & trust it engenders(with rival GM's) is a currency that'll likely pay off in future dealings.

A few of these scenarios play out(over time) & a GM carries weight & respect amongst his peers.

I'd prefer JB plays hardball.  If I were a rival GM, I would hang up the phone and laugh and say out loud "sucker" if another GM gave up a high pick.  JB's strength is supposed to be evaluating young talent.  I'd much rather he claws at and gets every round 1-3 pick that he can manage. 

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'd prefer JB plays hardball.  If I were a rival GM, I would hang up the phone and laugh and say out loud "sucker" if another GM gave up a high pick.  JB's strength is supposed to be evaluating young talent.  I'd much rather he claws at and gets every round 1-3 pick that he can manage. 

It can be exhausting to live/deal that way(& I've known my share of the sort). I'd prefer he dealt as per my previous post. Just one opinion.

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

It can be exhausting to live/deal that way(& I've known my share of the sort). I'd prefer he dealt as per my previous post. Just one opinion.

I for sure understand your reasoning, but professional sports is a dog eat dog world where a wrong move or a bad season or two can get you fired from a job that you are making 7 figures at.

I prefer that the dogs on my team be the hungry ones who are interested in keeping their highly paid jobs.

1 hour ago, Stormtrooper Steve said:

Heres how the convo happened

George McPhee: Hey Jim, I'd love to get my hands on that 5th pick, want to swap for 2nd rou...

Jim Benning: Elias Petersson is mine! mine mine mine mine, and stuff!

George McPhee laughs and heads to his table

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

I care if it really did happen.  JB's strength is supposed to be in young talent evaluation.  A third bite at the apple in the second round would have been sweet.  The Canucks can certainly use and need every pick they can get their paws on.

It doesn't really make a lot of sense for teams who pick right besides each other to swap picks - unless the first team does not feel strongly about their choice.

If Benning is willing to give up #5 it means that he believes he can get his guy at #6.  So if Benning agreed McPhee knows that they are not targeting the same player.   Or was McPhee trying to get #5 to then move up to #3.

7 hours ago, Qwags said:

Given how McPhee backed off, I don't see how this has anything to do with Benning.

It's all bennings fault all the time. Reasom virt hasnt panned out so far. Reason we're last. Reason we fell from 2 to 5. Reason my dog died a couple years ago. Reason it's raining today. Reason my private parts are below average size.

Archived