The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

On 11/2/2019 at 6:05 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Harvard is one of the most prestigious Universities in the WORLD. When Rathbone graduates, he will have something to fall back on after the NHL. 

Harvard's graduates include:

8 US Presidents,

30 heads of state,

188 Billionaires

364 Rhodes Scholars

160 Nobel winners

48 Pulitzer Prizes

108 Olympic Medals

Don't think Harvard as a place that you're "wasting your life". 

Adding their best graduate here: Alex Biega :bigblush:.

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

He is a sophomore, so this year plus two more... unless he leaves early.  Many do - Hughes did.

I don't see him leaving early honestly, unless the Canucks guarantee him a spot on the roster. Like previous posters have said, getting a degree from Harvard is like finding the golden ticket and almost guarantees a lucrative career in the real world while making the NHL full time is a long shot even if a player is skilled enough. 

I don't have the exact source, it was somewhere on these forums, but wasn't it the idea that Rathbone is likely to go pro after this season? I feel like there was an interview with him where he says his goal is to go pro as soon as possible

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

I don't have the exact source, it was somewhere on these forums, but wasn't it the idea that Rathbone is likely to go pro after this season? I feel like there was an interview with him where he says his goal is to go pro as soon as possible

5 hours ago, JC2 said:

I don't see him leaving early honestly, unless the Canucks guarantee him a spot on the roster. Like previous posters have said, getting a degree from Harvard is like finding the golden ticket and almost guarantees a lucrative career in the real world while making the NHL full time is a long shot even if a player is skilled enough. 

he did say that, more than once. It would be surprising if he decided to stay for the full 4. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, JC2 said:

There's a fair bit of scuttlebutt that he plans on going pro after this season. Likely spend a year or so in the AHL after he's done this year at Harvard.

He can always finish his degree, as many players do, remotely. 

Edited by aGENT

My best friend who is DoH at Dartmouth texted me after the game about Rathbone. “He is just really f-n good” I would assume that if Rathbone has the kind of season that Fox had last year then we will see him turn pro in the spring.  I kind of assume Fox played 3 years because he wanted to use the leverage of playing his senior year and going ufa to force a trade of his rights. He seemed pretty dead set on going to the Rangers. Also while his sophomore year was still pretty excellent it really wasn’t as good as his freshman year statistically. The funny coincidence is Jimmy Vesey of Harvard was also drafted 66th overall left the spring before Fox came in i believe and we all know how he took the 4 years to go ufa and also head to the Rangers...

5 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

But its HARVARD. Most stay for 4 i think if its harvard? Adam Fox stayed for 3. 

He is a Mass native, so in theory he could have taken classes in the spring and summer in order to accelerate his degree. I am simply speculating.

5 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Harvard won 3-0 against Princeton, Rathbone with three assists and 3 SOG, including two beauty stretch passes that set up his team's first two goals:

He now has 5pt (2G + 3A) in 2 games.

An amazing start by Rathbone. Let's hope he can keep it up!

I don't think we have to worry about Jack Rathbone's character or him bolting to free agency. This is the same guy that stayed home an extra year when he could have started his college career so he could be at home with his younger brother who needed the support. 

Great to hear he's off to a torrid start to the season! We got a gem.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Rathbone: 2gp 2g 3a 5pts, but the stretch passes on two of those assists were amazing - one from near his goal line to the opposite blue line, across the ice to the far wing for the breakaway with seconds left in the period. Wow!

Yup, both passes were quick too...like he looked up and it was off his stick. That will be a valuable asset to the Canucks going forward.

1 hour ago, Knucklehd said:

Great to hear how Rathbone is doing.  Is there much of a difference in QoC when playing for Harvard vs Boston College's or Northeastern type schools.  Those that traditionally have a prominent hockey pedigree.

There is definitely a difference in the quality of competition. Their league (ECAC) is a lesser league than hockey east which includes teams (Northeastern, Boston College and Boston University). There is a reason majority of the USNTP go to hockey east because it's a better league. What difference there is I cannot say but I wouldn't say the difference is too extreme.