The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

That unimportant, what was the Plus Minus?

You may mock :P:lol:

He has a plus 4, which is superior to OJ ( Harvard student say superior rather than better ) who has improved to his best ever minus -9  which is still the worse of the 33 man roster in Utica.

10 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

He has a plus 4, which is superior to OJ ( Harvard student say superior rather than better ) who has improved to his best ever minus -9  which is still the worse of the 33 man roster in Utica.

The +/- hubbub needs to stop. It's a dumb stat.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Yikes, I would say something, but I know it’s been said many times and repeating it would be like trying to put my head through the same brick wall

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

On the Canucks, Bo has the worst +/- among forwards, and Hughes has the worst +/- among Dmen. I guess these guys are both busts.

Well they can both be explained actually.  

Bo always gets the matchups against the other team’s top line and Hughes as good as he is, still gets targeted by the opposing coaches with their top lines coming out against him and Myers. So it’s not a very telling stat on it’s own HOWEVER you look at someone like Neal in Edmonton and he’s averaging 70% offensive starts and still managing to pull a whopping -24 in only 41 games so far! I think in his case it’s safe to jump to the conclusion that he’s a black hole for 5 on 5 metrics. 

I understand some have a distaste for +/- I can handle that but most stats  compilation always feature that stat. It does allow you to gauge a players performance especially as Habitan has explained. On each team there are players at the top of a standard stat and those who are at the bottom, you can if you wish disregard it but you're missing some thing if you do. Every page of players/teams stats record this statistic including the NHL statastician and the AHL stats. In the case of OJ his +/- has been atrocious as long as he's been a pro and I'm sure that has a baring on if he will or won't make the Canucks. If every thing else is the same why would you select a guy that has a poor +/- rather than a guy that has a good +/- Rafferty is a plus player which in my books put him ahead of OJ who is a minus.

FYG the Hockey News has OJ ranked as the 10th  …. News

The top 10 NHL draft busts of the decade

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/the-top-10-nhl-draft-busts-of-the-decade

Edited by Fred65
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Yikes, I would say something, but I know it’s been said many times and repeating it would be like trying to put my head through the same brick wall

...But that's what we do here on CDC...

Like just now I am going to complain about all this talk in the Rathbone thread....as if there isn't enough of it in Oli's thread...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Fan since 82 said:

Man every thread I go into has a discussion on something other that the title of the thread. Kind of like a Christmas cracker surprise whenever you enter a thread - you never know what you are going to get. The jokes aren't as good here though!

Imagine if we renamed every thread according to what everyone was talking about....there'd be hundreds of +/- thread titles. Lol

• Cheers 1

On 12/30/2019 at 4:28 PM, Fred65 said:

Sounds like your tweed coat is getting itchy under the collar there professor.  

Must be a Stats Professor to be so knowledgeable about the value of the Plus/Minus stat that the rest of us unwashed are unaware of.

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2