The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

Palmu is not a tall man (boy). But he's built like a Mack truck, plays a gritty fearless game. Low centre of gravity makes him difficult to knock down or off the puck. He's good in front of the net and corners. I love his compete level, and I think he'll be a very good Canucks player one day. Can you believe Schroeder will already be 28 when the season starts? For a former 1st round pick, he's done very little with his career.    

23 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The Finnish Liiga is roughly equivalent, in terms of statistical conversion factors, to the more competitive conferences in NCAA Division 1 hockey. So basically around the same level of competition, at least by the numbers. The Finns also play one of the heavier games of the European leagues, and Liiga is often described as being one of the closest to an “NHL-style” game in Europe. Also, some of the rinks in Finland (at least as of a few years ago) have a hybrid ice surface, around 60m by 28m, which is basically halfway between an NHL rink (61x26) and an IIHF rink (60x30), so Finnish players tend to get some experience playing on slightly “smaller ice” (at least compared to a standard European surface). All in all, it’s a pretty good league, and seems to be getting better year after year.

Thank you. Do you consider Palmu to be a similar talent to Schroeder or do you have higher expectations for him?

I know we all have high expectations but I mean realistic ones.

Edited by Kosmo Kramer
Spelling

2 hours ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

I am really interested to track Palmu in Utica this year.

I was too excited about Shroeder in the past, but Palmu seems different.

I don't believe that size is everything,

It's more about the skill and compete level and he seems to have it.

Which is why Schroeder is a serviceable player who's having a nice career. Palmu exceeding Schroeder would be a pretty big accomplishment.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Which is why Schroeder is a serviceable player who's having a nice career. Palmu exceeding Schroeder would be a pretty big accomplishment.

The big difference though is that Schroeder was a 1st round draft pick and expected to have a very good shot of an decent NHL career. Palmu was drafted in the 6th round and was a big long shot to even be offered a contract. I would suggest that Palmu has already exceeded expectations of how he might pan out vs Schroeder having, as you mentioned, a serviceable NHL career.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Western Red said:

I disagree that Schroeder is having a nice career as a serviceable player.

Never played over 40 games in the nhl in one season. Never scored more than 15 points in a season. Averages 0.24ppg in the show.

All the while getting close to 30 years old and is on his 4th team.

I agree Palmu exceeding a first rounder would he a success but I'm wondering if he will make a bigger impact than that.  Hopefully so.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I don't see Schroeder and Palmu as comparables really at all.  Different era, different body proportions, different skills, different drive level as a young player and thus I expect different results.  Palmu needs more time to develop but I think will play in the NHL in two years or so and hang on the third line for his career.  

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

They’re really tough to compare, other than their similar size and stature.

Schroeder had an amazing draft season. Probably safe to say that had he been average size and put up similar numbers, he’d have been a top-5 pick. Palmu at the same age put up respectable numbers, likely enough to get drafted in the middle rounds, had he been average sized. But instead, he had to wait until his D+2.

By the time Schroeder was Palmu’s age, he was producing similar numbers in the AHL to what Palmu scored last year in Liiga.

Possibly if you graphed their production, you might plot a future intersect where Palmu might equal Schroeder (age for age) in the next year or two. If all goes well, maybe Palmu surpasses what Schroeder did in his career.

But we’re not there yet. Next season (in Utica) will provide good info on what type of player we have in Palmu.

As draft picks, Schroeder was a far superior prospect. He failed to meet expectations. Palmu will need to exceed expectations to become an NHL player. He’s already exceeded expectations, relative to his draft position, so I’m optimistic, but he still has a lot to prove.

It’s also tough to compare them because Schroeder is a natural centre and Palmu a winger. Plus the league is different today compared to what it was just a few years ago when Schroeder was trying to break in. Definitely easier for a smaller player today (although clearly still not easy at Palmu’s height).

Sorry if that’s dodging around the question a bit. It’s just not easy to answer because it’s not really an apples to apples comparison.

Thanks for your input Sid. It certainly fleshes out the discussion about Palmu but as you mentioned we will just have to wait and see how he does in the AHL this year.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

They’re really tough to compare, other than their similar size and stature.

Schroeder had an amazing draft season. Probably safe to say that had he been average size and put up similar numbers, he’d have been a top-5 pick. Palmu at the same age put up respectable numbers, likely enough to get drafted in the middle rounds, had he been average sized. But instead, he had to wait until his D+2.

By the time Schroeder was Palmu’s age, he was producing similar numbers in the AHL to what Palmu scored last year in Liiga.

Possibly if you graphed their production, you might plot a future intersect where Palmu might equal Schroeder (age for age) in the next year or two. If all goes well, maybe Palmu surpasses what Schroeder did in his career.

But we’re not there yet. Next season (in Utica) will provide good info on what type of player we have in Palmu.

As draft picks, Schroeder was a far superior prospect. He failed to meet expectations. Palmu will need to exceed expectations to become an NHL player. He’s already exceeded expectations, relative to his draft position, so I’m optimistic, but he still has a lot to prove.

It’s also tough to compare them because Schroeder is a natural centre and Palmu a winger. Plus the league is different today compared to what it was just a few years ago when Schroeder was trying to break in. Definitely easier for a smaller player today (although clearly still not easy at Palmu’s height).

Sorry if that’s dodging around the question a bit. It’s just not easy to answer because it’s not really an apples to apples comparison.

I don't think you dodged that one at all Sid, good insight.

Good point about the position and state of the league at the time.

I feel like Schroeder was more of a top 6 or nothing kind of guy as an undersized center 10 years ago, as you said.   Compared to a winger of similar height in today's game.

Palmu being more tenacious without the puck and being able to play a middle 6 role in today's game will hopefully give him a better chance at becoming a real player.

It's all speculation in the end.

I remember the days of being excited about Hodgson and Schroeder.

Now I'm much more even keeled about prospects.

Cheers to Palmu, hope he shines this year. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Western Red said:

How is it that you believe Schroeder to be a “...serviceable player having a nice career.”?  Eighteen goals in ten NHL seasons, he had one goal and one assist in the NHL last season doesn’t look very serviceable to me - it looks like borderline career over to me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Palmu is not a tall man (boy). But he's built like a Mack truck, plays a gritty fearless game. Low centre of gravity makes him difficult to knock down or off the puck. He's good in front of the net and corners. I love his compete level, and I think he'll be a very good Canucks player one day. Can you believe Schroeder will already be 28 when the season starts? For a former 1st round pick, he's done very little with his career.    

I always thought there was something missing between the ears with that guy. He never seemed quite "present"

Palmu strikes me as "driven"

Edited by alfstonker

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

How is it that you believe Schroeder to be a “...serviceable player having a nice career.”?  Eighteen goals in ten NHL seasons, he had one goal and one assist in the NHL last season doesn’t look very serviceable to me - it looks like borderline career over to me.

He might have fared better in the KHL.

6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

He's been a professional hockey player for near a decade. What lofty expectations you have.

Your comment is a joke.

6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Schroeder is a great depth guy. Excellent at the AHL level, can fill in at the NHL level. Has had 6 seasons in the NHL with more than 20 games. Depth player. If you can separate his first round status from the equation, he has had a serviceable career. He'll probably finish his career with 200+ games. Nice !

1 hour ago, Western Red said:

He's been a professional hockey player for near a decade. What lofty expectations you have.

Your comment is a joke.

Comment is a joke is a bit over the top.

People have different of opinions on what a serviceable NHLer is. 

I realize he has been a pro (mostly in the AHL) for a decade, and is infinitely better than me.

But my opinion of a serviceable NHLer would be a career 4th liner that can play up the lineup if needed and is on the roster all season.

Wasn't meant to discredit Schroeder. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

Comment is a joke is a bit over the top.

People have different of opinions on what a serviceable NHLer is. 

I realize he has been a pro (mostly in the AHL) for a decade, and is infinitely better than me.

But my opinion of a serviceable NHLer would be a career 4th liner that can play up the lineup if needed and is on the roster all season.

Wasn't meant to discredit Schroeder. 

Ya, you're right. Although I did say professional, which includes the AHL.

Good on you for being balanced and thoughtful. The board could use a few more posters like yourself.

• Cheers 1

This kid is a cannonball and fun to watch. I see his height and think, "ya, whatever". Then watch him play and the kid is effective as heck. He could be the surprise coming out of training and make the opening roster. Instant fan favourite if he does  

• Upvote 4