The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petterson vs Nylander

PRIMO88

Hey guys. Many of you have probably heard it from other posters but i too was upset with the petterson pick over Vilardi + Glass. After the dust has settled and reading into some of Pettersons stat lines it seems that what he is doing is in some elite company. Of that company, and one that he is sometimes compared to is Nylander. Nylander is the player i was hoping for in his draft but that ship has sailed already. Can some of you guys that are better at this then me help me to compare the two? Can Petterson become or be better than Nylander? I know that Petterson has a small advantage in stats in the Allsvenkan league but i remember that Nylander was destroying the international tournaments. If Petterson has better Draft year numbers than Nylander than how come it seemed that Nylander was so much more hyped than Petterson? Sorry for the tons of questions but i thought i would find a VS thread between CDC and Hf but nothing

In his draft year Nylander killed the tournaments (12-13-25pts in 14 international Jr games), and also played in the SHL where he did fairly decently. Thats part of the reason, but also he was drafted by the only hockey team in Canada as far as TSN and Sportsnet know. Any leaf draft pick will receive 10x the hype as any other prospect.

19 minutes ago, PRIMO88 said:

Petterson vs Nylander

Not sure it would be much of a fight.    Nylander would be hard pressed to land a blow if Petersson turned sideways and Nylander would have a hard time punching from his turtle position on the ice.

30 minutes ago, PRIMO88 said:

Hey guys. Many of you have probably heard it from other posters but i too was upset with the petterson pick over Vilardi + Glass. After the dust has settled and reading into some of Pettersons stat lines it seems that what he is doing is in some elite company. Of that company, and one that he is sometimes compared to is Nylander. Nylander is the player i was hoping for in his draft but that ship has sailed already. Can some of you guys that are better at this then me help me to compare the two? Can Petterson become or be better than Nylander? I know that Petterson has a small advantage in stats in the Allsvenkan league but i remember that Nylander was destroying the international tournaments. If Petterson has better Draft year numbers than Nylander than how come it seemed that Nylander was so much more hyped than Petterson? Sorry for the tons of questions but i thought i would find a VS thread between CDC and Hf but nothing

its all in the Pettersson thread, but his numbers so far are better than Nylander at the same age. He's looking like he could be a taller, maybe a little heavier version of Nylander. But its years away from knowing. 

Nylander was drafted at 5 11" and also pretty light and a true draft eligible as a '96 born in 2014. Nylander has really bulked up, if you see pictures of him, and has elite skating and agility to go with a shot. 

Pettersson is a listed at 6 1.75" and is a late '98 born for a 2017 draft. He's more smooth than Nylander is but less explosive and probably smarter.

Defence is probably the biggest difference between the two during their draft years. Pettersson is pretty good at defence and back checking, Nylander was not.

Nylander at 18 was faster and had a harder shot for sure though. 

They are different players in my mind. 

I'm going to wait until both of them play substantial NHL minutes/games.

Some players adjust differently to the pro game, some take to it right away, others take more time.

We could be making the same threads about one of the Canucks 5th round draft picks from the last couple years, We won't know until they play.

Archived