The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] We need some size up front

Bo is a big boy.

Jake is a big boy.

Gaunce is a big boy.

Twins, Sutter, Errikson are not small, and certainly don't back away from contact.

Dorsett, if healthy, plays big enough.

Granny plays bigger than he is.

Baer plays small, as does Goldobin.  Are you talking about replacing theses two?

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bo is a big boy.

Jake is a big boy.

Gaunce is a big boy.

Twins, Sutter, Errikson are not small, and certainly don't back away from contact.

Dorsett, if healthy, plays big enough.

Granny plays bigger than he is.

Baer plays small, as does Goldobin.  Are you talking about replacing theses two?

Bo scares no one, Jake plays in Utica, are you kidding about Gaunce? hes waiver fodder, and then I stopped reading when you mentioned the twins lol

3 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

I love all these posts about getting bigger and tougher to "protect our guys". Quick question for you, who exactly are we "protecting" them from? 

The 80's.

Is EDM rushing to find someone to protect McDavid? TOR w/ Matthews? CHI w/Kane? PIT w/ Sid? Nope.

But VAN needs someone to protect Goldobin?

1 hour ago, garthsbutcher said:

Maybe I missed it but did Cody McCormick sign anywhere? We are very soft up front and teams may think twice if we have some push back in the lineup.

I think we need a bit of muscle up front and on the back end.  The thing is that those kinds of players are easier to find than the high end skill guys.  I don't mind putting most of the effort into finding highly skilled players who can put the puck in the net, we can always fill in with some heavy guys along the way.  Of course having someone that can do both, i.e. play the heavy game and put the puck in the net, is ideal.  That's why I like the Gadjovich pick.  If he can learn to skate like an NHLer then I think we have the right kind of guy.  Although Pettersson isn't heavy, he isn't tiny either.  Give him time to fill out and he's a player to watch too.  The days of the one-dimensional knuckle-draggers is pretty much over.  GCG!

P.S. - Cody McCormick is retired.  According to Wiki: "In January 2015, McCormick experienced blood clots that prevented him from playing the rest of the season and the entire 2015–16 campaign, prompting him to retire on April 11, 2016."

5 minutes ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

The 80's.

Is EDM rushing to find someone to protect McDavid? TOR w/ Matthews? CHI w/Kane? PIT w/ Sid? Nope.

But VAN needs someone to protect Goldobin?

Patrick Maroon and Milan Lucic say Hi, they are hanging out with Matt Martin

21 minutes ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

Ummm.....

Lucic

Maroon

Martin

TooToo

Reaves....

24 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

We already have Gudbranson, Dorsett, Labate and Pedan. What more do you need? Those are two guys you've named, please give me a list of all the "tough guys" on each team and let me know if we actually need more protection from these guys. 

8 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Ummm.....

Lucic

Maroon

Martin

TooToo

Reaves....

As per my above post, we have guys on our team that can tangle with those guys with no problem. Not sure why we need more plugs since each team has 1, maybe 2 of these guys tops. 

28 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

Those are pretty good examples. But not enough to convince me of anything.

Slightly cherry picked list IMO. Maroon had a good season, no doubt. Lucic, come on the guy gets paid like a star. Martin.... we'll see what happens.  

3 hours ago, garthsbutcher said:

Bo scares no one, Jake plays in Utica, are you kidding about Gaunce? hes waiver fodder, and then I stopped reading when you mentioned the twins lol

The thread is about size up front.  I agree.  Our forwards, except for Jake will not scare anyone with their physical play.  We are not tiny though.

16 hours ago, pluralsight said:

I love all these posts about getting bigger and tougher to "protect our guys". Quick question for you, who exactly are we "protecting" them from? 

Pretty much every team they play against, both East and West.  Guddy is our only truly tough player, sorry Dorsett nobody fears going into battle with you.  We have absolutely zero intimidation factor, and teams don't fear retribution using there sticks on anyone in the lineup.  

I would be ok with this if we were looking to compete for the cup...but as a bottom team there really is no excuse for not having at least two guys on the fourth line and two defenseman that can fight well and take a solid shift.  These guys are around.  And they will play for peanuts too.  Maybe Pedan will stick, at least for a while, hes intimidating and can fight.

Archived