The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Leon Draisaitl may be traded this summer

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And McDavid, coming off one season gets 12.5 x 8.

Draisatl had a really good year, and a better playoffs.  I bet he's wanting 9 to 10 million, after seeing what McDavid got.  That 20-30% less than McDavid.  That seems fair, considering their recent production.  

How many hart trophies does Leon have? What about ted Lindsey?  What about art Ross?

McDavid is the third-youngest player to win the hart. Only Crosby and Wayne Gretzky claimed the Hart as teenagers.

23 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

How many hart trophies does Leon have? What about ted Lindsey?  What about art Ross?

McDavid is the third-youngest player to win the hart. Only Crosby and Wayne Gretzky claimed the Hart as teenagers.

thats all great but you have to admit that he was handled quite well in the playoffs. If he can't improve on that it doesn't matter what happens in the regular season and without another top C like LD its going to be hard to go on a deep run just with McD. So thats the holdup I suppose with LDs camp wanting a huge payday. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

thats all great but you have to admit that he was handled quite well in the playoffs. If he can't improve on that it doesn't matter what happens in the regular season and without another top C like LD its going to be hard to go on a deep run just with McD. So thats the holdup I suppose with LDs camp wanting a huge payday. 

Last year McDavid put up 9 points in 13 games.  I don't know if i'd call that getting handled and I also don't think that's something to worry about. 

For example in 2013-14 crosby put up 9 points in 13 games.  That one year hasn't stopped him from winning two conn smythe trophies and 3 cups. 

And when did 13 playoff games become the basis for making a 8 year $9 million contract.  Is leon really banking on 1 good series to hit the jackpot.  Remember he sucked in the SJS series only getting 3 points in 6 games.   

Again, i've listed the 11 players that are making over 8.5 cap hits in the league.  Leon's name does not belong in that group.  If he wants to make that elite money he will have to prove he's an elite player first.  

McDavid's name shouldn't even come it in discussion with Draistailts contract talked.  Connor is a Generational talant that only comes around every 10-15 years.  Sure Leon is a decent player but he's not a gen talent. he's a young player who had a break out year while riding the coattails of the best player in the world.  What Connor makes sure have zero impact on what leon asks for, they are not in the same ball park of talent

Leons name will come up with other comparables from around the league.  and their big long term contracts

Kuznetsov 7.8 cap hit

Tarasenko 7.5 cap hit

Scheifele 6.1 cap hit

Guadreau 6.8 cap hit

Johansen 8 cap hit

Barkov 5.9 cap hit

All these players have put up just as good offensive numbers in their 2nd year in the NHL.  I don't see any way Leon could feel he's more valuable to the oilers than those players are to their respective teams. 

The evidence is all laid out.  There is no counter argument.  People were saying the same thing about Johnny hockey last year but in the end the team holds the power.   

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Last year McDavid put up 9 points in 13 games.  I don't know if i'd call that getting handled and I also don't think that's something to worry about. 

For example in 2013-14 crosby put up 9 points in 13 games.  That one year hasn't stopped him from winning two conn smythe trophies and 3 cups. 

And when did 13 playoff games become the basis for making a 8 year $9 million contract.  Is leon really banking on 1 good series to hit the jackpot.  Remember he sucked in the SJS series only getting 3 points in 6 games.   

Again, i've listed the 11 players that are making over 8.5 cap hits in the league.  Leon's name does not belong in that group.  If he wants to make that elite money he will have to prove he's an elite player first.  

McDavid's name shouldn't even come it in discussion with Draistailts contract talked.  Connor is a Generational talant that only comes around every 10-15 years.  Sure Leon is a decent player but he's not a gen talent. he's a young player who had a break out year while riding the coattails of the best player in the world.  What Connor makes sure have zero impact on what leon asks for, they are not in the same ball park of talent

Leons name will come up with other comparables from around the league.  and their big long term contracts

Kuznetsov 7.8 cap hit

Tarasenko 7.5 cap hit

Scheifele 6.1 cap hit

Guadreau 6.8 cap hit

Johansen 8 cap hit

Barkov 5.9 cap hit

All these players have put up just as good offensive numbers in their 2nd year in the NHL.  I don't see any way Leon could feel he's more valuable to the oilers than those players are to their respective teams. 

The evidence is all laid out.  There is no counter argument.  People were saying the same thing about Johnny hockey last year but in the end the team holds the power.   

I think you're bang-on with the Taraskeno comparison, thats right where it should be. 

I dunno, maybe we just saw it differently but I thought McD was really held in check nicely and was not allowed to be a difference maker. He didn't take over a single game or really dominate, but he also faced some really tough match-ups. So thats his hurdle to figure out next time. Kesler e.g., ripped him a new one on face-offs. So he's not generational at everything just yet :P

16 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I think you're bang-on with the Taraskeno comparison, thats right where it should be. 

I dunno, maybe we just saw it differently but I thought McD was really held in check nicely and was not allowed to be a difference maker. He didn't take over a single game or really dominate, but he also faced some really tough match-ups. So thats his hurdle to figure out next time. Kesler e.g., ripped him a new one on face-offs. So he's not generational at everything just yet :P

Kesler is one of the best face off guys in the league.  He's also one of the best shutdown players in the world. He was able to do that same to crosby in the olympics. The fact that connor was still able to put up 5 points in 7 games isn't nothing to be to upset about.  Could McDavid have played better, sure but it's also up to coaching to find ways to get Mcdavid away from the type of match up. 

Next yr (2018-19) appears when Edm is headed for their cap-crunch to begin. Canucks have a LOT of space opening. So many claim trading within div seems unlikely..well they've got 5 Cups & we've been skunked, can't see why they'd die worrying?

Suggested this deal(Bo for Leon thread/proposals) about 2 wks back...

Bo, Tanev & Granlund

EDM: Draisatl, Sekeras(5.5 mill AAV, will be out for most of this season), Khaira

Ignoring our 2018 & '19 drafts, we could have such a fwd lineup in 2 seasons:

Goldobin - Draisatl - Boeser

Dahlen - Petterson - Virtanen

Eriksson - Gaudette - Lind

Gadjovich - Gaunce - Lockwood

Youth, size, speed. Only 1 vet, & we'd have plenty of ELC's filtering through for a good spell. Able to commit extra resources/space to building a deep D

I foresee Drai getting about 3 mill higher(AAV) than Bo's deal. Tanev is 1 mill lower than Sekeras(4 yrs).

That extra 4 mill could be very valuable space for Edm, starting the 2018 season.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Did he win a Mem Cup?  Did he win the Cup?  

When Leon won the Memorial Cup, he was 5th in scoring on his team. Even Bowey, a defender drafted in the 2nd round I might add the year before, had more points than him. There's even a player who is still undrafted who had more points than him on the team. He alone did not win the Memorial Cup. His team however did.

McD's awards have come from his personal achievements. You can't get the Hart Trophy by just being merely being on a good team.

Obviously Leon's made a case for him getting a good payday, but let's be real about it at the same time.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

So McDavid gets 12.5x8, which he deserves.

Doesnt Leon deserve 20% to 30% less?  That's 9 top 10 million.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So McDavid gets 12.5x8, which he deserves.

Doesnt Leon deserve 20% to 30% less?  That's 9 top 10 million.  

I think he'll eventually sign in the 8-9 million range. Fair value for a player of his caliber. 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think he'll eventually sign in the 8-9 million range. Fair value for a player of his caliber. 

I wonder what term the two sides agree on?  I'm sure the Oilers want to lock Draisatl up for the longest term at 8 mil.  I wonder if Draisatl, if he settles for less than 10, will want a short term - 3? 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder what term the two sides agree on?  I'm sure the Oilers want to lock Draisatl up for the longest term at 8 mil.  I wonder if Draisatl, if he settles for less than 10, will want a short term - 3? 

I don't think Draisaitl would want short term at all. Now's his chance to cash in big. Who knows what the next few years holds.

I think he takes a deal under 10. No way should they be comparing him to mcdavid. Completely different level of players. Mcdavid is putting butts in the seats, that comes with a premium.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I don't think Draisaitl would want short term at all. Now's his chance to cash in big. Who knows what the next few years holds.

I think he takes a deal under 10. No way should they be comparing him to mcdavid. Completely different level of players. Mcdavid is putting butts in the seats, that comes with a premium.

Good point about McDavid being the star attraction.  I just don't see Draisatl deserving less than 20% to 30% of what McDavid got.  That is 9-10 million.  If he gets 8, that's 40% less than McDavid.  I could see Draisatl wanting less term, so he can make more in his next contract.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good point about McDavid being the star attraction.  I just don't see Draisatl deserving less than 20% to 30% of what McDavid got.  That is 9-10 million.  If he gets 8, that's 40% less than McDavid.  I could see Draisatl wanting less term, so he can make more in his next contract.

I just don't think it makes sense on his end. He could have a couple average seasons or long term injuries that could kill his bargaining power.

Now's the time to put the pressure on the oilers. He knows how valuable he is to them. Without him mcdavid cannot single handedly carry the oilers. And what's their backup option? The nuge?

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Kesler is one of the best face off guys in the league.  He's also one of the best shutdown players in the world. He was able to do that same to crosby in the olympics. The fact that connor was still able to put up 5 points in 7 games isn't nothing to be to upset about.  Could McDavid have played better, sure but it's also up to coaching to find ways to get Mcdavid away from the type of match up. 

until it mattered :lol:  Hey maybe McD will end up being the best ever, but i'm not going to say he is until he actually gets it done. 

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

McDavid's name shouldn't even come it in discussion with Draistailts contract talked.   

This. I feel this way about pretty much every contract negotiation going on right now. McDavid is a one off. There's a ton of other comparibles to use without bringing the most valuable player in the world into the equation. I feel like players like Bo might be holding out and saying hey, I'm worth at least half of a McDavid, pay me $6M. But he's a one off player with a one off contract. Let's use the other 99 comparibles, rather than the one guy that no one compares to.

The Bo + Tanev for Draisaitl idea seemed outlandish, but when you put it into context for both teams it sort of makes sense. 

I am not saying it should happen, nor do i necessarily want it to happen. Bo is something special imo, may not have superstar upside like Draisaitl but he is a heart and soul guy that has earned every inch. 

However, if that deal is being discussed, i can see the merits of it from both sides. 

On 2017-08-11 at 6:47 PM, VIC_CITY said:

This. I feel this way about pretty much every contract negotiation going on right now. McDavid is a one off. There's a ton of other comparibles to use without bringing the most valuable player in the world into the equation. I feel like players like Bo might be holding out and saying hey, I'm worth at least half of a McDavid, pay me $6M. But he's a one off player with a one off contract. Let's use the other 99 comparibles, rather than the one guy that no one compares to.

McD's contract is not a one off for Leon. It sets a standard of pay within the oilers org. How is McD worth double what Leon is worth?  Leon played in better in the playoffs, scored about 25% less that McD did in the regular season. That's about a 20% difference in value based on production. It's like saying Gretzky was worth double what Messier was.

They are both really good players, that add different things to a roster. Leon is a better pick than every player the Oilers have drafted in ten years except for McD. The Oilers screwed themselves with paying McD so much. How can Leon not be worth 8-10 million to the Oilers based on what they paid McD?  

5 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

McD's contract is not a one off for Leon. It sets a standard of pay within the oilers org. How is McD worth double what Leon is worth?  Leon played in better in the playoffs, scored about 25% less that McD did in the regular season. That's about a 20% difference in value based on production. It's like saying Gretzky was worth double what Messier was.

They are both really good players, that add different things to a roster. Leon is a better pick than every player the Oilers have drafted in ten years except for McD. The Oilers screwed themselves with paying McD so much. How can Leon not be worth 8-10 million to the Oilers based on what they paid McD?  

I guess you're right in that if anyone can use McDavid's contract as a comparible, it's LD. But McDavid is the most valuable player in the world and his jersey sales alone will likely pay off his entire salary. LD just doesn't have the same marketablity, so there's more than just the 20% point difference that comes into play. 

Also, I don't think Edmonton is trying to get LD at half of McDavid's salary. It's more likely that the LD camp is using your agrument and that's why there's a hold up. But I fully expect LD's contract to come in around $8-$8.5M. 

The way the media is built the game is givin to McDavid and it's not his fault he's a great player but on 2 separate occasions last season (this is just when I was watching) mcdavid received second assists from just being on the ice I had it pvrd and watched over and over didn't touch puck..... Eberle undressed 3 guys scores a beautiful game winner all the announcers talked about how mcdavid head maned the puck to make that play happen... drai sitting there in the shadow getting the little things done that make Oilers good again and he gets very minimal credit I hope he moves somewhere he can be appreciated. 

anyone know of a site to look up primary vs secondary points? 

Archived