The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have absolutely no star power!!!

trailers

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

Well the thing is, pretty much anything is possible when you're talking about the future. I don't know if I've go out of my way to use "role coloured glasses" as a classification as I'd say the likelihood of Horvat becoming a star is more evident than it being the opposite. It's obviously not a guarentee yet, but you certainly don't need glasses to see he has what it takes to be one.

Then again, I tend to hate the whole "this person has role-coloured glasses" comment stuff. It's lazy and is an accusation rather than a sound argument. It's throwing sticks and stones basically. Not all that productive. Especially when a lot of the people using that tern could be called out as doing the exact same thing, just with the opposite side of the argument. lol

Ok. Maybe next time you decide to just pick something out of someone's post and debate it, include the whole post to provide context.

The reality is we don't have any stars yet on this team. Yes Horvat will likely become a star, not a superstar like our team could really use right now, but a star.  Rose coloured glasses.  Rose coloured glasses.  Rose coloured glasses.  Maybe if I type it three times you won't find it lazy.   Not throwing sticks and stones, the OP is about the obvious fact this team lacks star power.  

If you don't agree with that than, well, rose colored glasses. ( I did that in for any Americans that might read it, don't want to offend them too.)

On 18/07/2017 at 7:05 PM, IBatch said:

Mediocrity ( or Vanilla) is the biggest problem of the cap era.  Most teams have one or two stars, or just one superstar like Ottawa, and end up been stuck in the middle, usually resulting in a wild card spot, near miss or on a good year second place in their division.

Economics make it near impossible to buy your way out ( although somehow after all this time NYR keeps acting like their is no cap and behaving like they have since the mid to late seventies, an eventual destination for late prime stars) and the ELCs hold everything together.  

Guess the lottery will help this somewhat as Philly and Dallas are about to find out, and NJ certainly got a big shot in the arm for their rebuild also, at ours and COL expense.  

When you look back at all the Stanley Cup winners, they all have star power, elite goaltending and or Norris worthy defenseman and or game breaking forwards that eat teams like ours for lunch including the hypothesized team above.  You simply can't win it without at least some star power.  The NYI robbed the mighty Pens of past from a three peat, with Ferraro leading a pack of mediocre guys so history does show the little guy can do some damage in the playoffs

But nobody has ever won it without stars laced into the line-up somewhere.  

We need at least one and that will only work if it's a superstar goalie (ahem Roy) Preferably two upfront, one or two defenders ( includes Selke types) and a top ten goalie.

So far we can tick one of those boxes in Horvat, and given its early still thats using rose coloured glasses.  

Here's the whole post, maybe it's a tad inflammatory, but it's also true.  Just like Drouin and MT,  the potential is there and even likely, but it simply hasn't happened yet.  You need to be scoring seventy plus points or be a Selke candidate to be considered a star...at least that's how I see it.  

So let me get this straight ... just because we apparently have no "star power" right now somehow means we won't have "star power" in the future. Lol

These articles are completely pointless. Especially when it's known that a team is in transition.

We have no star power? Yeah, no kidding. We knew this was going to happen and it would take a while A) When Gillis and Torts were fired (B) we had so many NTC/NMC clauses C) When we're drafting and developing future star power

Banging the drum and crying that we have no star power is nonsensical. Writing about it is even more ridiculous. 

Think about it ... we have no other option but to wait for our "star power" to grow and emerge yet writers are expending effort into sounding an alarm that we have no "star power". Even presenting stats to back it up ... Lol. 

The entire history of the NHL shows that stars emerge unexpectedly, stars are drafted, stars are acquired via trade, and stars can be purchased. Just because we have no "star power" at this very moment in no way, shape or form means we won't have "star power" in the future. 

Yours truly, 

Dr. Obvious

57 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

So let me get this straight ... just because we apparently have no "star power" right now somehow means we won't have "star power" in the future. Lol

These articles are completely pointless. Especially when it's known that a team is in transition.

We have no star power? Yeah, no kidding. We knew this was going to happen and it would take a while A) When Gillis and Torts were fired (B) we had so many NTC/NMC clauses C) When we're drafting and developing future star power

Banging the drum and crying that we have no star power is nonsensical. Writing about it is even more ridiculous. 

Think about it ... we have no other option but to wait for our "star power" to grow and emerge yet writers are expending effort into sounding an alarm that we have no "star power". Even presenting stats to back it up ... Lol. 

The entire history of the NHL shows that stars emerge unexpectedly, stars are drafted, stars are acquired via trade, and stars can be purchased. Just because we have no "star power" at this very moment in no way, shape or form means we won't have "star power" in the future. 

Yours truly, 

Dr. Obvious

If you were actually a doctor you'd see the obvious part is that even in the prospect pool there are no stars. Can't grow a star if you don't have the seeds.

15 minutes ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

If you were actually a doctor you'd see the obvious part is that even in the prospect pool there are no stars. Can't grow a star if you don't have the seeds.

You should re-read what I said. Especially the part that says ... Just because we have no "star power" at this very moment in no way, shape or form means we won't have "star power" in the future. I'd be more than happy to write out a prescription for glasses if need be.

35 minutes ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

Got a crystal ball? Not a single one of prospects will be a star? So there's no chance at all that Boeser, Demko, Juolevi. Pettersson, Dahlen or any other has a remote chance? Well, we may as well throw in the towel and relocate this crap team.

45 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Got a crystal ball? Not a single one of prospects will be a star? So there's no chance at all that Boeser, Demko, Juolevi. Pettersson, Dahlen or any other has a remote chance? Well, we may as well throw in the towel and relocate this crap team.

Finally, some one gets it. 

On 7/20/2017 at 4:27 PM, IBatch said:

Ok. Maybe next time you decide to just pick something out of someone's post and debate it, include the whole post to provide context.

The reality is we don't have any stars yet on this team. Yes Horvat will likely become a star, not a superstar like our team could really use right now, but a star.  Rose coloured glasses.  Rose coloured glasses.  Rose coloured glasses.  Maybe if I type it three times you won't find it lazy.   Not throwing sticks and stones, the OP is about the obvious fact this team lacks star power.  

If you don't agree with that than, well, rose colored glasses. ( I did that in for any Americans that might read it, don't want to offend them too.)

Naw. I still find "rose coloured glasses" lazy. It doesn't accomplish anything other than the person saying it kicking and screaming out of frustration that someone has a different opinion than them.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't really care if we have stars or not if we're in transistion mode. It's really going to depend if you consider someone like Bo a star or if you still consider the Sedins a star. Because of that, "star power" is going to be in the eye of the beholder. It's basically a debate of opinions because you can't really put something that subjective into fact to begin with. lol Yay I guess?....

However, it's the off-season and I guess people need something to talk about in the meantime.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of truth to this.

The need for star power is why you don't take Virtanen at #6, Joulevi at #5 or Petterrson at #5 (You can still take him but trade down and get an addition "Star Power" lottery ticket)is your shot at a cup, you HAVE to get stars, and this is where you gamble to get them....yes, it's gambling, but you can give yourself the best chance possible, maximize you odds so to speak. That is what makes Benning so frustrating (Not the only thing), he seems to want to prove he can pick out talent that no one else can, so he refuses to make the obvious picks, but he also isn't clever enough to broker with the leagues GM's (Vegas nixed a deal because he telegraphed the Petterrson pick, they knew they didn't have to, Columbus jumped up and stole his lunch money because he hadn't done his due diligence and wasn't prepared) McCann was a terrible pick as his reputation was already well-known by the time he was drafted, and Tryamkin was some of the laziest drafting I've ever seen "He's big! Take him....wha..what do you mean he doesn't want to play in the NHL.....he's big PICK HIM!" Boesser and Gaudette look good, but I worry about drafting these American college players, eventually, they are going to want to play in the east, it sucks being in the west with the long flights and time change if that's where your family and friends are, real estate is expensive, the demographic is becoming predominantly Oriental, the city is isolated...I don't know, I think back to Suter and Parise, and then think about why eastern American's would want to stay here....the Sea wall?

Just seems like a slow burn bomb that could go off on us in a few years.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Naw. I still find "rose coloured glasses" lazy. It doesn't accomplish anything other than the person saying it kicking and screaming out of frustration that someone has a different opinion than them.

That is completely erroneous BS, you're attempting to discredit the guy whose opinion differs from you, you aren't addressing the point being discussed "Lazy, Kicking, Screaming" are all slanderous attempts to make the other guy look bad, not to address the point at hand.

It's become so painfully obvious that a lot of the profiles posting on CDC these days aren't actual fans, but Canuck employees. The lame attempts at "Astroturfing" and "Gaslighting" by individuals who lack the intellectual brawn to pull it off are truly embaressing (Google those terms if you aren't familiar) The truly shameful part is that you shouldn't be trying to do it in the first place, it makes the whole organization smell.....very, very bad....and it will get out beyond these boards too, then you'll have some 'splainin' to do.

In the meantime, whoever's in charge of "Astroturfing" for the Canucks these days...get a real job. You're not very good at this one.

15 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

That is completely erroneous BS, you're attempting to discredit the guy whose opinion differs from you, you aren't addressing the point being discussed...

regards,  G.

2 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

That is completely erroneous BS, you're attempting to discredit the guy whose opinion differs from you, you aren't addressing the point being discussed "Lazy, Kicking, Screaming" are all slanderous attempts to make the other guy look bad, not to address the point at hand.

It's become so painfully obvious that a lot of the profiles posting on CDC these days aren't actual fans, but Canuck employees. The lame attempts at "Astroturfing" and "Gaslighting" by individuals who lack the intellectual brawn to pull it off are truly embaressing (Google those terms if you aren't familiar) The truly shameful part is that you shouldn't be trying to do it in the first place, it makes the whole organization smell.....very, very bad....and it will get out beyond these boards too, then you'll have some 'splainin' to do.

In the meantime, whoever's in charge of "Astroturfing" for the Canucks these days...get a real job. You're not very good at this one.

....in the membrane....

On 21/07/2017 at 6:15 PM, MikeyBoy44 said:

Ummm..ok.  History has shown us hundreds of stars and superstars are drafted well past the first round.   We could be sitting on some great "seeds".  Re-drafts always have guys from later rounds, we won't know for sure until draft + five what we really have.

Archived