The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have absolutely no star power!!!

trailers

According to this article the canucks and Vegas are the only teams with no star power

Star power is the start of a good team, and it’s what makes a great team, but they need support around them to become a championship team.

Roster building is always one of the most fascinating subjects in sports because it’s something nearly every fan thinks and dreams about – how to turn their team into a champion.

For hockey there are many blueprints that can get the job done, but they almost always start at the top. A team needs high end talent to compete and win, the proof of that is engraved on the Stanley Cup every season. It’s rare that a team wins it all without a player who’s among the league’s best and looking back through past Cup winners, I honestly can’t really recall a team that pulled it off without star power.

That effect is even larger in the NBA, a star-driven league where you’re not winning without an MVP-candidate on your team. Star power is a big topic of interest in the NBA these days in the wake of the Golden State Warriors dominance and after an off-season where a bunch of upper tier players moved to new locales. One of those stars on the move was Gordon Hayward, which led to a piece over at FiveThirtyEight.com that measured the effects of star power in the NBA and where certain players fit compared to past championship teams.

With that in mind, I wanted to recreate the analysis for the purposes of the NHL to see where the league’s best players fit in relation to each other, which teams have the most star-power, and how much it really matters. We know it’s not at the same magnitude of the NBA, but how far off is it?

First, we have to look at past champions. Five Thirty Eight looked at the three best players on each championship team to figure out how good a player needs to be to fit championship criteria. We’re going to use five players instead because NHL rosters are bigger, with players ranked by their Game Score percentile (to see how good they are relative to their position). The only issue is we can only go back 10 seasons because that’s when the NHL decided to start tracking real-time stats....

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/star-power-in-the-nhl-which-teams-have-it-and-how-much-does-it-take-to-win-the-cup

Agreed. We have absolutely no star power. The Sedins are past their prime, and guys like Horvat, Hutton, and Stecher are before their prime. Right now, we are in a spot with no real star power, but that doesn't mean we don't have players that can play. I'm excited about the start of next season.

We have no player other fans from around the league really want to see. Nobody in Carolina or in St Louis is going, "Oh boy the Canucks are on! I got to see this!" But at the same time, I kind of like that for this year. Benning quietly made a competitive team with a good prospect pipeline. Let people underestimate us and watch our group flourish. If this is the last year for Daniel and Henrik, you can be damn sure that star player or not, the lockeroom is going to play to their fullest.

29 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

... another an eastern media story about the Canucks :bored:

Not really actually, it's an eastern media story about star power in the NHL and the OP singled out the Canucks and posted it in Canucks Talk.

we're rebuilding. the stars just haven't developed yet. edmonton, before mcdavid was drafted, had lots of star power and couldn't win.

we need to except that our guys will have to bring their lunch pails to each game. play hard and play as a team. watching players like bo, beiser, virtanen, granlund and stech develop, will have to be our motivation to watch and cheer for this team. if only star power, is a person's motivation for following a team, they will always be disappointed with the canucks. 

Step back and look at this roster as if it were the  sjs Ana minnny  ect. roster. No star power  is the current truth not many teams if any  in the early stages of a full rebuild have star power.doesn't mean there bad players they just don't have theticket selling  fan draw or standup excitement skill guys. it is what it is, in a few years there  are some guys that could change that. 

This is a meat and potatoes line up with no appy or desert. 

34 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Maybe, but they're not wrong 

meh. even when we had "stars" the league didn't really do that much to promote them. Plus I just don't give two dry poops about what the hockey news thinks. I'll watch my home team regardless, and won't be more excited about it if some hack in Montreal thinks we're great. 

How is Tkatchuk in tier 3, yet Bo who outscored him this year (being deployed as a 3rd line center, and as a matchup guy) is not ranked? Bo had the same amount of points as Rikard Rakell, who is ranked. Same with Silverberg and Mikael Frolik.

17 minutes ago, xereau said:

Bo lead the team in points, got the most D zone starts on the team, is a top PK, and WENT TO THE ALLSTAR GAME  at the age of 22.

No star?  What?

17 minutes ago, canuckmen84 said:

We may not have star power but we have an All Star 

BO The All Star Horvat B)

To be fair every team was required 1 all star

Archived