The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have absolutely no star power!!!

trailers

I'd rather have a strong team with quality depth throughout the roster, than a "it factor" talent with no depth.  To me Benning has done a decent job albeit a few key terrible signings / extensions at doing just that.  Tryamkin leaving hurt the back end, which was disappointing.  However, he could be back within a season based on the Olympics.  I like the direction of the team.  

I love the Canuck management claiming that our teams strong depth is going to create GREAT  competition in training camp.

WE FINISHED 30th last year.  Are you kidding me,  the club has very little depth in comparison to other NHL teams.

Canucks are probably one of the 3 easiest teams for any player to crack the lineup  and gain a spot...

Very funny with the summer Cliches by Canuck Management.    

9 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I love the Canuck management claiming that our teams strong depth is going to create GREAT  competition in training camp.

WE FINISHED 30th last year.  Are you kidding me,  the club has very little depth in comparison to other NHL teams.

Canucks are probably one of the 3 easiest teams for any player to crack the lineup  and gain a spot...

Within the team there are 18 players up for 9 jobs in the bottom 9.  You don't think the competition for spots will make players work harder and play better.  In the end, they'll be left with better players.

That's what Benning is talking about.  It's culture building.  Players won't be getting complacent because they know somebody is waiting for the chance to take their place in the line up.

At this point, they can't be going along and comparing themselves to other teams.  They have to work at getting better themselves.

If you're watching the Open, Matt Kuchar said last night, he has to go out and play the course on the final day.  He can't go along trying to respond to what Jordan Speith is doing.  He can only control what he does.  He has no control over what somebody else is doing.  In team building, the parallels are there.  In a game situations, it is different.

28 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Withing the team there are 18 players up for 9 jobs in the bottom 9.  You don't think the competition for spots will make players work harder and play better.  In the end, they'll be left with better players.

That's what Benning is talking about.  It's culture building.  Players won't be getting complacent because they know somebody is waiting for the chance to take their place in the line up.

At this point, they can't be going along and comparing themselves to other teams.  They have to work at getting better themselves.

If you're watching the Open, Matt Kuchar said last night, he has to go out and play the course on the final day.  He can't go along trying to respond to what Jordan Speith is doing.  He can only control what he does.  He has no control over what somebody else is doing.  In team building, the parallels are there.  In a game situations, it is different.

Great to have players competing for the 4th line.  Of course, that is good to see.

BUT it would be much better to have a club  that has players competing for top 6 forward spots.....

Claiming that the Canucks have DEPTH is just plain false ADVERTISING.    Career AHL guys finally getting a NHL chance should not qualify as providing depth. 

18 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

In a way they could compare some players on other teams, but not all.

They should/could be able to put together players that can compete with other team's bottom six and number 4, 5 & 6 dmen, maybe in goal as well. Maybe in some ways even surpass some lines but you see that with line matching already.

37 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

IF Green does institute the TRAP, which a lot of players don't like because it diminishes their next contract due to low points, having players act like they are in the AHL, (will do anything to make the show), will make Green's job easier to deal with some players.

40 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Summer and everyone is on vacation, during the regular season isn't it said the team gets built in summer? Cliché?

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Great to have players competing for the 4th line.  Of course, that is good to see.

BUT it would be much better to have a club  that has players competing for top 6 forward spots.....

Yes it sure would but even most posters already know who is top six on this team, which is in itself sad.

That Hank and Dan at 38 are still top 4 players speaks to their fitness and professionalism. IMO they would be even better in the eastern conference with limited travel. Horvat, Sutter, Eriksson, Gagner. Well you know what? Even on this team the top six is harder than I thought because there are no stand outs or enough NHL playing time to reference. A third line looks decent Boeser - Granlund - Sven?

Again, if Green brings in the trap, it would suit a slower, older team the best but they need to get the PP going.

The summer doldrums.

16 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

That is completely erroneous BS, you're attempting to discredit the guy whose opinion differs from you, you aren't addressing the point being discussed "Lazy, Kicking, Screaming" are all slanderous attempts to make the other guy look bad, not to address the point at hand.

It's become so painfully obvious that a lot of the profiles posting on CDC these days aren't actual fans, but Canuck employees. The lame attempts at "Astroturfing" and "Gaslighting" by individuals who lack the intellectual brawn to pull it off are truly embaressing (Google those terms if you aren't familiar) The truly shameful part is that you shouldn't be trying to do it in the first place, it makes the whole organization smell.....very, very bad....and it will get out beyond these boards too, then you'll have some 'splainin' to do.

In the meantime, whoever's in charge of "Astroturfing" for the Canucks these days...get a real job. You're not very good at this one.

What point at hand? How is it erroneous BS? Please. Enlighten me on how it's not lazy. Just because it's not what you want to hear doesn't make it incorrect dude.

And seriously? We're all "Canuck employees"? Who lack intellect? So you basically don't like the fact that I called out people "kicking and screaming" about opinions that are different than their's and then you come up with this 2nd paragraph of you kicking and screaming.... wow.... just wow.....

potential to play top six:

Sedins

Erickson

Boeser

Horvat

Baertschi

Grandlund

Gagne

maybe

Dahlen

Goldobin

Rodin

11 players competing for 6 spots- looks like competition to me. The bottom 6 is also up for grabs.

Gaunce

Dorsett

Chaput

Megna

Molino

Virtanen

Labate

Burmistrov

maybe 

Cassels   

There is going to be competition to be on the team. That does not mean it is going to be a good team, but there will be competition.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Actually, the message has seemingly been that there will be more competition as they have more NHL caliber talent available from the get go and that is a true statement.    It will create more competition, I am not sure it will be "great" and I don't recall reading that quote - perhaps you can share.   "Great" competition will require more talent infusion which looks like it is on the horizon with some of the better prospects but not necessarily quite this season yet.

For the record, not that it really  matters when you are at the bottom of a cycle, but they were 29th as 30th would have been nicer from a lottery standpoint but they didn't get that.   

17 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Unfortunately, there's a lot of truth to this.

The need for star power is why you don't take  Joulevi at #5 or Petterrson at #5

If you don't see star potential in these two prospects, you are blind to this organization's prospects as any other NHL management would rank those two Canucks as potential stars.   Perhaps you also didn't watch the Prospect's Game to see how much above the rest of the players  OJ was in terms of NHL readiness or how Petterrson's natural  offensive instincts are something this franchise hasn't seen from a kid of that age for a generation.    

We get you dislike all things Canucks and in particular their management but to not acknowledge some outstanding young talent that includes two that could become bonafide NHL stars seems like you are reaching even a bit too far into your darkness.

13 hours ago, smokes said:

It's easy for the Canucks to get a Star. Just make a trade with Dallas.

And if we get Jamie Benn, we'd have our super Star!  LOL.

Kidding aside... I maintain that we still have twin stars, the Sedins.  I don't believe that they're done yet.  Last year was a downer for them because they didn't have a consistent linemate through the whole season.  It was a revolving door of ineffective wingers ... Eriksson, Hansen, Burrows, Chaput, Boucher, Megna... playing with them.  Obviously that is going to have an impact on their production.  Lack of secondary scoring on the team made the situation worse.

If Jagr could still be effective at age 45, then certainly the Sedins, who are extreme fitness freaks, can do the same at 36... given the right linemate.  Their smarts and playmaking skills have not eroded that much.  I think if they had a full season with a skilled winger like a Boeser, Goldobin, Gagner, or Rodin, we'd see a bounceback season from the twins.

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Sedins

Erickson

Boeser

Horvat

Baertschi

Grandlund

Gagne

maybe

Dahlen

Goldobin

Rodin

There is going to be competition to be on the team. That does not mean it is going to be a good team, but there will be competition.

Really   - you think these 3 are NHL top 6  forwards this season..   I like your enthusiasm even it not very realistic....

Goldobin - 3 NHL goals last year

Rodin  -   0  NHL goals last year

Dahlen  - 0  NHL goals last year

12 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Really   - you think these 3 are NHL top 6  forwards this season..   I like your enthusiasm even it not very realistic....

Goldobin - 3 NHL goals last year

Rodin  -   0  NHL goals last year

Dahlen  - 0  NHL goals last year

did you miss the part about "maybe". I see you didn't mention Rodin was injured and only played 3 games, and Dahlen wasn't even in North America, iirc Goldobin played less than 15 games.

maybe, maybe and maybe.

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Sedins

Erickson

Boeser

Horvat

Baertschi

Grandlund

Gagne

maybe

Dahlen

Goldobin

Rodin

11 players competing for 6 spots- looks like competition to me. The bottom 6 is also up for grabs.

Gaunce

Dorsett

Chaput

Megna

Molino

Virtanen

Labate

Burmistrov

maybe 

Cassels   

Agree completely - and while it's lacking proven "elite" PPG+ players in the top 6, there's a solid mix of clear-cut top 6 NHL'ers and young guys with legitimate top 6 skill sets.  Not a single name there that doesn't have either established NHL credentials or quality AHL / European scoring.  At the very least, there's less chance for players getting complacent going into camp. (Virtanen, Etem last year.).  

Just because the roster doesn't look like a powerhouse doesn't mean they should eschew internal competition and roll over or (even worse) roll out the red carpet for youth or vets alike.  Really gives coach Green a leg up in his NHL debut.  

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

What point at hand? How is it erroneous BS? Please. Enlighten me on how it's not lazy. Just because it's not what you want to hear doesn't make it incorrect dude.

And seriously? We're all "Canuck employees"? Who lack intellect? So you basically don't like the fact that I called out people "kicking and screaming" about opinions that are different than their's and then you come up with this 2nd paragraph of you kicking and screaming.... wow.... just wow.....

Rosey coloured glassess.  I enjoy saying that when the shoe fits the foot.  Is that another analogy that is lazy?  I must be working for the Canucks. What the hell is going on anyways.  All I was expressing is Horvat hasn't produced like a true star yet.  That is all.  I have also made many posts on this thread suggesting that I'm a believer and to sign him already at seven years six million per.  Or cut him a bridge deal. Why the lock as a handle anyways?  It comes across as someone looking for anything that is inflammatory and "protecting " us poor and intellectually disabled users.   Your posts seem to put some truth to that statement.  Your not actually adding substance to the sight, just looking to troll just below the obvious troll line.  Again Rosey Coloured Glasses.  Does that make your mad?  I hope so.  I plussed you earlier thinking why not maybe you would let this go, obviously your intentions have nothing to do with Canucks but more to do with trashing things.  I bet if you were old enough to remember 2011 you would have been preparing your riot game before game seven.  How's that for overt trolling?  Or is it too lazy for you and I should up my game?   Seriously ripping on me for something so benign makes me wonder what you really feel for something that's actually controversial.

7 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Claiming that the Canucks have DEPTH is just plain false ADVERTISING.    Career AHL guys finally getting a NHL chance should not qualify as providing depth. 

When people are talking about depth and not having seen such depth in years if ever, I think they're talking about the prospect pool.  

Bennings first draft, the 2014 draft class is mostly 20 and turning 21 this year.  It's pretty hard to go faster than the clock on a rebuild (ie trading for prospects).  In 2-3 years, these guys will be challenging for top 6.

A lot of people think that Horvat will be the 1C at some point this season.  He's competing with an old guy who may very well be playing his last season.  It's not exactly competition but it is turnover.  Benning has been able to add Baertschi and Granlund who are arguably top 6 players now.  Rodin could be there too if things go well.  Other guys like Boeser and Goldobin are possibles.  

If what you're saying is that nobody is knocking down the door, I would have to agree.

9 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Withing the team there are 18 players up for 9 jobs in the bottom 9.  You don't think the competition for spots will make players work harder and play better.  In the end, they'll be left with better players.

Agreed. Competition breeds success. If you continue to set up your team to fail and keep playing for "next year's draft" there is no push for your prospects already in your system to get better. Then you turn into Colorado, who will be trading some of their young players whose growth into stars has slowed, and will be restarting their rebuild all over again. Competition allows players to exceed their ceilings, and maybe you get a star out of a player who projected to only be a third or fourth line player. This is the kind of culture you want to build. It may not pay off next year but if Benning continues to draft well, the pool of competition grows larger, and you begin to build stars out of players rather than tanking in the hopes of maybe getting a generational player. I like the plan that Benning and Linden have in place. In 5 years if the Hockey News has the same story the Canucks will not be at the bottom with no star players.

Solid golf analogy BTW. I think that may be a first for CDC.

Archived