The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have absolutely no star power!!!

trailers

Meh  - just an article.    Remember, it also said Justin Schultz was PGH fifth best player for their cup run - if you can win a cup with JS as your fifth best player, any team can win a cup.

Canucks were 29th in NHL last year - not a surprise they have none on list (even if some of the names on the list are, wow, but whatever).   Goes with the territory at being at bottom of a cycle.   If this list was done in 2010, for example, Canucks are likely leading NHL  with names on the list.    Goes with that territory of being back-to-back PC winners and a few calls away from being SCChamps.

Article is what it is.   I don't see a bias against Vancouver at all.  I see a few questionable names on the list but so what.   Vancouver should worry about continuing to acquire and develop and soon enough these lists will start to have a lot of Orcas on them - natural cycles  are just that.

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Bert and Naslund weren't really developed in Vancouver and interestingly are the weakest names. I would add Burrows and Smyl to your list. Tanti? 

"The  weakest names"?   Uh, for two or three seasons, both were in the top 3 to 5 best players in the world.   After Bertuzzi's suspension, his last 70 games that one year put him in a class alone in the entire league.  Naslund was arguably one of the best wingers in the game for years.

What an odd thing for you to say.   To suggest Burrows, Smyl and Tanti were "better" is a pretty big reach.  While Smyl had a great career, he didn't dominate NHL and was never in Hart discussion like Bertuzzi and Naslund.    

29 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Ever consider that Gillis had a different idea after making the finals in 2011?

NOPE - this team was and likely still is:   OWNER DRIVEN . . .     AND I guess they can do what they want, they pay the bills . . .

43 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

You're not getting it. He - him, the author - picked the stats and weights - he thinks represents "star power". Its completely biased. He didn't arrive at it via experimentation of raw data. He had an idea, and massaged it until it fit the top producers in the league. Be glad this isn't how people design planes. 

He in fact has done nothing to forward knowledge of this topic whatsoever. Overall scoring stats would lead you to the same end point. All he did was provide a bunch of fluff around the concept of who's a "1" and who's a "5". It has all the credibility of a National Enquirer Elvis sighting. 

I usually agree with you Good Man but biased against who?...the Canucks?

I just can't believe that this writer worked overtime gathering all this information on a quest to make the Canucks look bad.  Was Vegas on the bottom also because of 'bias"? He must have lost a chunk of dough on the slots there to have a bigger gripe against Vegas than Vancouver.

What would be the point of doing all that research and effort just to "massage it until it fit the top producers in the league"?  First off, the top producers would most likely be at the top of most every study, no matter how your rearranged the stats. The quibble seems to be how high from the bottom the Canucks are.

There seems to be a lot of denial on here on just how bad the drafting history has been for the Canucks. And bad luck. Or a combination like picking Bourdon over Kopitar. Or Nedved over Jagr, Primeau, Sydor, Hatcher, Tkachuk, or Brodeur. Add to that bad trades from our earliest days (Cam Neely who would have fit that star power)

1 hour ago, GoBoGo53 said:

it literally says what a star is in the first couple of sentences of the article.

Wow thank you for that pointlews reply but instead of being a smart alec maybe it would have been better to reiterate what the article says then.

You know in the event that I missed that part of the article because things just happen. You know real life. 

To be honest, I don't really care how many "stars" we have, I just want to win some hockey games.  "Star power" is both highly subjective and mostly irrelevant (at least to the hockey - it helps with marketing but I don't give a crap about that).  Besides we actually have two bona fide stars in the Sedins, they just don't suck up to the celebrity culture.  They are both consummate professionals, highly skilled, dedicated to their teammates, dedicated to their fans, dedicated to their city and just all around good people.  They are the real stars of this game and if the eastern based media, and even some Canucks fans, refuse to acknowledge that, so be it.  But they're missing the boat.  GCG!

Using this metric many players will vary in star status from year to year. Next year Bo will probably qualify, not to mention if Loui Eriksson and the Sedins can put together a good season. 

This is basically telling us in the past 3 years the Canucks have not had any consistant star level players. It is a bit obvious if you ask me considering the amount of roster turn over.

Did the Canucks have any stars in the past 2 years? No. 

Will the Canucks have any stars next year? Probably :)

14 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Whether you like it or not, plenty of teams, including the Canucks are using analytics now.  Like JB and other GMs have said, "it's one of the tools in their belt".

It's a tool, but the tools who think it's the only tool need a new helmet and knee pads.

In Lindenning I trust.

19 hours ago, xereau said:

Bo lead the team in points, got the most D zone starts on the team, is a top PK, and WENT TO THE ALLSTAR GAME  at the age of 22.

No star?  What?

But the article on the Hockey News said so, so it has to be true. The author of the article is a weasel who admittedly doesn't even watch the game. It's analyticzzzzzz only twerps like this deranged hobbit that are polluting the landscape. 

DOM LUSZCZYSZYN

DL.jpg

ABOUT

Dom Luszczyszyn is a freelancer for The Hockey News. His passion for the game stems from his father, who enjoys yelling at the TV while watching. Dom has strong opinions on your favorite team based on numbers – and numbers only – because he doesn't watch the games, just his spreadsheets.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

But the article on the Hockey News said so, so it has to be true. The author of the article is a weasel who admittedly doesn't even watch the game. It's analyticzzzzzz only twerps like this deranged hobbit that are polluting the landscape. 

DOM LUSZCZYSZYN

DL.jpg

ABOUT

Dom Luszczyszyn is a freelancer for The Hockey News. His passion for the game stems from his father, who enjoys yelling at the TV while watching. Dom has strong opinions on your favorite team based on numbers – and numbers only – because he doesn't watch the games, just his spreadsheets.

not watching games would certainly give him a different viewpoint:lol:

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Wouldn't that only prove the point that he isn't biased towards one team or another? That this is "just the facts maam"?

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

DOM LUSZCZYSZYN

DL.jpg

ABOUT

I'm pretty sure that was facetious and intended as commentary on the analytics vs eye test debates. 

19 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

How is Tkatchuk in tier 3, yet Bo who outscored him this year (being deployed as a 3rd line center, and as a matchup guy) is not ranked? Bo had the same amount of points as Rikard Rakell, who is ranked. Same with Silverberg and Mikael Frolik.

man look at the rest of that list, the guy has bergeron and pastrnak ahead of malkin and ovechkin. he has stone, ardvisson and trochek ahead of Stamkos, Benn, Toews  and getzlaf. how much crack did he smoke before he wrote that?

48 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

DOM LUSZCZYSZYN

DL.jpg

ABOUT

Ever notice how the analytic guys kind of look alike..

Filipovic_Dimitri-300x300.jpg

20 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

That will change in five years from now.

Boeser, Pettersson, Juolevi, Demko.

With a pretty bang up 2nd punch with Gadjovich Horvat and Virtanen. I think all of our top 6 guys are going to be 20+ goal scorers. If not baer granlund and sutter too. Top 9 isnt looking too bad in 2 to 3 years. From the cellar to the penthouse suite we will climb. 

Archived