The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Retirement] Mike Fisher of the Predators

https://www.nhl.com/predators/news/mike-fisher-announces-retirement-in-heartfelt-letter-to-fans/c-290572386

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nhl/predators/2017/08/03/nashville-predators-mike-fisher-retires-says-goodbye/449870001/

Smashville,

I can still picture it vividly.

That afternoon on TV, I'd seen a drone shot of Broadway and the area surrounding Bridgestone Arena that showed all the people gathered for Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final. I gasped. How was there that many people there? And all to support us? It was almost incomprehensible.

I kept picturing that scene even as we gathered in the locker room for the game that night against the Pittsburgh Penguins. I wasn't the only one who'd seen the shots of all the fans; it was all we could talk about in the room. Before the playoffs even began, we, as a team, set goals we wanted to accomplish, even outside of winning the Cup. Right under that obvious one at the top of the list was to unite and inspire the city of Nashville. We put the list up in our room and looked at it each day.

But the scene outside blew us away. We couldn't take credit for it or even claim it was what we expected. All of us were looking at each other and going, "holy cow, this is something we'll never forget."

The way the city was behind us was unbelievable, and that's what makes the memory such a high - but also bittersweet. Can you imagine if we had a parade down Broadway?

It's moments like that which I know I'll miss. This job I've been able to have for a majority of my life is so much fun. To help create that entertainment and to see the joy we can bring to people is such a unique and exciting opportunity. I'll miss my teammates, my coaches and the game itself.

This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make, but I know I've made the right one. I've decided to retire from the NHL.

I kept praying for peace about the next step in my life. A peace that said this is God's will for your future. A peace that said whether or not this was the right time to walk away.

I don't believe it came in a single instance or some aha moment, but as time passed, I gradually became certain that it was right for me to retire. I believe God gave me the ability to play hockey, and I was helped by dozens of individuals along the way, so it's not just up to me on when it's time to say goodbye...  

Knowing we were so close to winning it all in June only makes it more difficult to leave it behind, but I do so with hope. Endings are always tough, but I believe when something ends, there are new beginnings, new opportunities and new things to be excited for, too.

I believe that this team, that this city, is going to win a championship, and I’m going to be the biggest fan. No one will be happier than I will be to see it happen, because, these fans, they deserve it.

to the entire Nashville Predators organization, teammates, owners, coaches and trainers; the way they’ve treated me has always been with the utmost kindness.

I approached this season with the mindset that it could be my last, and now that it’s past, I’m looking forward to a future that includes a lot more time with my family. Things change when you have kids and you have a family. They’ve supported me without question, and now it’s my turn to return the favor.A thank you here isn’t enough to say goodbye with, but all those memories, like the moments in the locker room before Game 6, cherishing those is what I hope will keep me, this team and the city intertwined forever.

Good for him that he was able to play in another Cup Final. Only playing for 2 organizations is impressive. His production never dropped off and he retired hopefully still feeling good with his body and mind. Hope his post-hockey life treats him well. Best to you Mr. Underwood.

Fisher could still play. He was matched up against Crosby in the Cup Final, and the Crosby line only had 1 ES goal when Fisher was on the ice.

But with his age, and lack of bargaining power (would likely only come back to Nashville), he probably would have to take a sizeable paycut. He's made lots of money, his wife makes even more, and he's got a toddler at home - so it's easy to see why just wasn't worth it for him.

I wonder if this means that he might play for the Canadian Olympic team.  It will be interesting to see how they cobble together that team.  I read that they are trying to fill the roster with mostly European based players but they were also talking to some of the aging UFAs that had yet to sign (or announce their retirement).  Either way good luck Mr. Fisher.  GCG!

One might think with Nashville going so deep and likely being right in the mix next season that'd be pretty tempting to re-up for one more season, but I guess it's a case where he's actually got every reason in his life not to play anymore right now so he's decided it's time. 

57 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Image result for crying carrie underwood hockey

She's so hot. Not that he isn't himself... you can argue he's better looking if you put both their fame aside. 

Shocked to see this... Preds could compete for another cup. Not sure why he wouldn't sign up for one more year... 

6 hours ago, jimmyking8888 said:

Great move for Fisher.  Leaving NHL on a high note.   Some players does not want to wait until he is old and slow to retire .   Some don't care what other thinks, they just want to make an extra dollar.  

Or they just love the game. Doesn't hurt to make money on top of that. I respect both sides of it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2017 at 7:45 AM, cyoung said:

Or they just love the game. Doesn't hurt to make money on top of that. I respect both sides of it. 

On 8/4/2017 at 1:27 AM, jimmyking8888 said:

Great move for Fisher.  Leaving NHL on a high note.   Some players does not want to wait until he is old and slow to retire .   Some don't care what other thinks, they just want to make an extra dollar.  

Regardless, still makes no sense for him to retire IMO. 

His team just went to the SCF... they just added Bonino who was arguably the biggest part of the Pens winning their back to back cups, certainly was by far the best player on the first cup team yet he didn't get the Conn Smythe... 

Seems like a great opportunity passed on by Mike to win a cup. 

1 hour ago, apollo said:

Regardless, still makes no sense for him to retire IMO. 

His team just went to the SCF... they just added Bonino who was arguably the biggest part of the Pens winning their back to back cups, certainly was by far the best player on the first cup team yet he didn't get the Conn Smythe... 

Seems like a great opportunity passed on by Mike to win a cup. 

Bonino was clutch but seriously not the most important. Far from arguable. Great piece though I agree with that. 

Archived