The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Brendan Gaunce

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

a bunch of people before your post. Didn't mean to imply it was you. 

Ah, I would think that claim would be vastly premature as they are quite different players though Gaunce had better offensive numbers in CHL and he is more physical player than Malhotra.

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Ah, I would think that claim would be vastly premature as they are quite different players though Gaunce had better offensive numbers in CHL and he is more physical player than Malhotra.

I suggested Gaunce will need to play like Malholtra to stay in the NHL.  Manny was drafted 7th overall, and played in the NHL in his draft plus one season.  After that, his career went downhill until he focused on becoming a face off, PK, top checker. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I suggested Gaunce will need to play like Malholtra to stay in the NHL.  Manny was drafted 7th overall, and played in the NHL in his draft plus one season.  After that, his career went downhill until he focused on becoming a face off, PK, top checker. 

I respectfully disagree.   When Gaunce has confidence as he did his last stint in AHL he can score power forward goals, drive the play and be a strong possession player.   Even his NHL stats show he has possession game at that level.   I don't think he should abandon a style that worked in CHL and AHL just because he has been on the ice with pluggers and has been a bit snakebit offensively.    Too young and too talented (he is a great skater for a big man) to simply give that all up in my opinion - which apparently differs from yours.

6 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Can we just skip forward 5 years lol, Hopefully get a top 2 pick this year, top 5 next year. Have Virtanen work out and become what we hoped for. Demko becomes a top 10 goalie in the league. 

Win a cup or 2 :P 

I don't wanna wait forever because I know I'll be living in pain :3

We all feel your pain...I was born the year before the Canucks were so we're in a race to see if they can win once while I'm on the right side of the dirt.

We are still wanting to watch some good hockey though and hoping like heck that the Oilers or Leafs don't win a cup in the meantime. Go anybody but EDM or TOR!

3 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

We all feel your pain...I was born the year before the Canucks were so we're in a race to see if they can win once while I'm on the right side of the dirt.

We are still wanting to watch some good hockey though and hoping like heck that the Oilers or Leafs don't win a cup in the meantime. Go anybody but EDM or TOR!

You're alright with Calgary winning the Cup in the meantime?

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Like Gauncer..but in the bigs, he's done more danglin' with his derriere than his twig(ain't THAT an ominous statement!)

When he Finally snipes one, might the floodgates dramatically swing open?!

If by floodgates you mean 5 very unspectacular, nose in the net goals- the answer is a tsunami size yes from me.

I'm never this optimistic........ 

But I could see Gaunce pushing for 20 goals next season, maybe something more around 12-15. But I just have this feeling his confidence will be up, the hard work is going to pay off and things are just gonna click for him.

7 hours ago, Mighty Max said:

I'm never this optimistic........ 

But I could see Gaunce pushing for 20 goals next season, maybe something more around 12-15. But I just have this feeling his confidence will be up, the hard work is going to pay off and things are just gonna click for him.

Not trying to 'pile on' but 5 goals from Brendan would be nice.

On 8/9/2017 at 11:32 PM, Mathew Barzal said:

Big Gaunce fan. Sami Pahlsson 2.0. Quote me on it.

Every SC winner has a Gaunce type of player in their forward group. 

The reason he excites me, is he is a self improver, soaks up coaching and yet he already has the advantages of height, speed and size.

Given the above he will get tougher and harder to play against imo.

That is why I was worried we would lose him to LVK

4 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Every SC winner has a Gaunce type of player in their forward group. 

The reason he excites me, is he is a self improver, soaks up coaching and yet he already has the advantages of height, speed and size.

Given the above he will get tougher and harder to play against imo.

That is why I was worried we would lose him to LVK

Sorry but there was no chance in hell VGK would ever take Gaunce.  I wish they did and we still had Sbisa but Gaunce will likely be waived and in the AHL.

I hope I'm %100 wrong and he makes the team and makes me eat my words big time. Likable guy but haven't seen enough good from his on ice play

2 minutes ago, apollo said:

Sorry but there was no chance in hell VGK would ever take Gaunce.  I wish they did and we still had Sbisa but Gaunce will likely be waived and in the AHL.

I hope I'm %100 wrong and he makes the team and makes me eat my words big time. Likable guy but haven't seen enough good from his on ice play

Fair enough apollo. Everyone sees things their own way when it comes to evaluating players. I liked Sbisa and have always defended him on here (he held the D together in Willie's first year) on many occasions.

I just see Gaunce as potentially something we don't have at present but imo Sbisa was replaceable.

26 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Fair enough apollo. Everyone sees things their own way when it comes to evaluating players. I liked Sbisa and have always defended him on here (he held the D together in Willie's first year) on many occasions.

I just see Gaunce as potentially something we don't have at present but imo Sbisa was replaceable.

You could definitely argue that Gaunce is more valuable per dollar to the cap hit than sbisa. 

I liked sbisa but still think Jimbo overpaid him big 

Hope Gaunce has a great year! 

Archived