The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Atmosphere

Vancouvertillidie

3 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Good to know

Just don't sit in the no alcohol (aka no fun) section. Even if you don't drink that section is full of kids and likely to get bad looks for cheering too loud.

My season tickets are upper bowl centre ice and both the atmosphere and view of the ice is fantastic.

7 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Just don't sit in the no alcohol (aka no fun) section. Even if you don't drink that section is full of kids and likely to get bad looks for cheering too loud.

My season tickets are upper bowl centre ice and both the atmosphere and view of the ice is fantastic.

Thanks.

It's been a couple years since I went to a game, but have been planning a trip over with a couple buds.

Last time I went, it was zero fun, super disappointed in the overall experience when compared to just 5yrs ago. But I've always sprung for lower bowl if we're making the trip over.

Think I'll check out this "fun zone", where the fun people hang out and have a good time!

21 hours ago, luckylager said:

Back in the day you used to be able to get loaded, scream your face off and have as much fun as you wanted so long as you didnt swear or throw stuff.

But then all these corporate suited up losers and their clients decided a hockey game is the place to go to show face, talk business and be uptight wankers.

Fricken suits ruining everything

I only go to a couple of games per year... yet every time I'm in the stands, there's always some people who are totally cursing like a they're suffering from Coprolalia.

It makes Joe Pesci seem tame in comparison.... and there are usually tons of kids around too.  

There's a huge difference between being passionate and behaving like an uncivilized philistine.  It's a shame that many are unable to differentiate between them.  

14 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I only go to a couple of games per year... yet every time I'm in the stands, there's always some people who are totally cursing like a they're suffering from Coprolalia.

It makes Joe Pesci seem tame in comparison.... and there are usually tons of kids around too.  

There's a huge difference between being passionate and behaving like an uncivilized philistine.  It's a shame that many are unable to differentiate between them.  

Fair enough, can't say I havent heard people going too far.

But those of us that can be respectably rowdy are being marginalized by the fun police

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

You get warned by the fun police for raising your voice, chanting alor even smiling too big.

Plus, all the angry glares from uptight suits who look down on fun, makes me angry. No fun atmosphere

Is the fun police the other fans or security?  If it's security then that's terrible.  For the suits or anyone else that frowns like you farted at a wedding as the bride walked by, screw them, you paid your ticket too and can have more fun than them, and even better fun at their expense.  Smile and laugh and cheer.  Hopefully others will feel the spirit and pitch in.  Also bring backup. 

Only once was I stopped by a fan and it was completely understandable.  Was screaming something like " Rip his f#$@ing head off!!!" during a fight and sitting a few rows up and behind me was a dad with his five or six year old son.  My bad.  Otherwise is balls to the walls.  My sister is the best, rudest mouth you've ever heard, make dock workers blush, and its full tilt.  Nobody ever says anything, sometimes some looks but usually just laugh and when the poo eyes come out I just smile and it goes away.

I can see why this thread was made, sounds like the fan culture needs a shot in arm.  It doesn't help with all the losing either, the mood is always better when we're winning and it means something ( beating a rival, getting into the playoffs, or go the Buffalo route and cheer near the end of the year when we're scored on as it means a better pick.)

9 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

This 100%, I don't drink at games(I've never had a beer in my life).  Last time I sat in the lower bowl I sat down and yelled "Alright, Go Canucks!" and 5 suits in their 50's turn around and gave me a dirty look.  Like it's a effing sporting event ffs, not a corporate shindig were you can woo your effin clients.  Rogers Arena is the worst place in the NHL to go, watch and root for your team, the atmosphere is non-existent.  After that I vowed never to buy a ticket unless things drastically changed. 

I have only been to 2 other NHL rinks (rexall and the Saddledome) and know that Vancity is near the bottom of the league when it comes to home ice atmosphere. My sister and her husband have season tix and every time i use them they give me the ol "please behave yourself" spiels. If people misbehave, their season tix privilege can be taken away. And when I say misbehave. It's usually no standing and cheering if everyone around you is sitting. No yelling at the opposing team, and if you drop one swear word, it's game over for you. My god. I've seen rowdier crowds at my sons elementary school Christmas concerts. 

32 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Hockey is innately violent and rowdy.  If you think this is bad you would have hated the seventies through mid nineties when fights in the stands were common, and wearing your own teams colours in enemy buildings was a little dangerous.  Fans were allowed to be passionate and channel their inner Pesci without ridicule if that's what they wanted to do.  Watching what looks like a respectable old man lose his s#$t over a stupid call is funny, a lot of these rowdy fans, myself included when I've partaken, leave and are normal, well mannered citizens outside the rink.

Hockey is also an escape from ourselves, it's supposed to be a safe place to let our Canadian politeness go away for three hours, two or three times a year or whatever it is.   Next time maybe try it, the fun police might frown, but maybe you will see the side that makes it so refreshing and even liberating.  I'm not for the guy that bangs on the glass everytime a player gets close, but I also understand he's just enjoying himself.

6 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

Weird, every game I've ever been to I've never had a problem. I yell and cheered and whatnot, though respected the youth around me and didn't scream obscenities. No security ever asked me to tone it down, no dirty looks from other fans (they were cheering too) Didn't see anyone else having a problem with security either. 

And let's not bring up how awesome Winnipeg fans are since only one of us has lost a team due to a lack of support and it wasn't Vancouver. 

Most Vancouver fans are great. Culturally we may not be as noisy as other cities anymore but we're still some of the best fans in the game. I can't think of any other team that loses as much as us and still has this level of devotion. 

Toronto has as best by three years without a cup, and has suffered some terrible teams.  And they regularly have 50,000 fans outside watching the game on their big screen.   

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Hockey is innately violent and rowdy.  If you think this is bad you would have hated the seventies through mid nineties when fights in the stands were common, and wearing your own teams colours in enemy buildings was a little dangerous.  Fans were allowed to be passionate and channel their inner Pesci without ridicule if that's what they wanted to do.  Watching what looks like a respectable old man lose his s#$t over a stupid call is funny, a lot of these rowdy fans, myself included when I've partaken, leave and are normal, well mannered citizens outside the rink.

Hockey is also an escape from ourselves, it's supposed to be a safe place to let our Canadian politeness go away for three hours, two or three times a year or whatever it is.   Next time maybe try it, the fun police might frown, but maybe you will see the side that makes it so refreshing and even liberating.  I'm not for the guy that bangs on the glass everytime a player gets close, but I also understand he's just enjoying himself.

I have season tickets to the Whitecaps and I try to catch a Hanshin Tiger game or two whenever I'm in Osaka..... and the latter are even more passionate than Canucks fans IMO.  Yet with all the boisterous cheering and non-stop alcohol (you can bring your own booze/liquor, and girls walk around with beer kegs to serve you).... it's never rowdy, even though fans were completely drunk.  Never felt intimidated or fearful that violence would break out. 

There's always a line between acting passionate and acting like a barbarian. 

On 9/20/2017 at 5:41 PM, luckylager said:

Back in the day you used to be able to get loaded, scream your face off and have as much fun as you wanted so long as you didnt swear or throw stuff.

But then all these corporate suited up losers and their clients decided a hockey game is the place to go to show face, talk business and be uptight wankers.

I think that had more to do with the franchise wanting a family friendly arena rather than a drunken obnoxious one.

4 hours ago, Baggins said:

I think that had more to do with the franchise wanting a family friendly arena rather than a drunken obnoxious one.

Possibly.... Still think a lot of chants could be used, which are family friendly...

The standout would be the:

He's one of our own,

he's one of our own,

He's from B.C.

he's one of our own..... for Stretcher, Virtanen etc...

Or at the refs on poor refereeing:

He's just a Leaf with a whistle,

He's just a leaf with a whistle,

leaf with a whistle,

he's just a leaf with a whistle... (or whom ever you play)...

Etc. 

I'm sure your White caps friends could come up with loads.

A song for each player would be fantastic... And the boys on the ice would love it I'm sure.

Anyway maybe thats just me, but I can't wait to sing when I'm standing on the terraces... Magic :rolleyes:

On 9/20/2017 at 5:41 PM, luckylager said:

^THIS
I remember going to games at the PNE, even in the early 90's, where a bud and I would stand up and give the ref (or Tie Domi) a serious piece of our minds.
Can't even repeat some of the things I yelled at the top of my lungs here without getting the PC police at CDC on me again.

We were having a great time. Nobody cared. If I behaved that way at a game now, I'd be kicked out of there before my ass had time to warm the seat.

Which (along with the ridiculous cost now) is the main reason I no longer go. It's BORING. 

On 9/22/2017 at 3:00 AM, Baggins said:

If it were about being family friendly, they wouldn't be charging a family of 4 upwards of $500+ to see a regular season game.

Going to a library and reading a book is free, and the atmosphere is about on par. 

7 hours ago, darkpoet said:

If it were about being family friendly, they wouldn't be charging a family of 4 upwards of $500+ to see a regular season game.

Going to a library and reading a book is free, and the atmosphere is about on par. 

Sure, kids should be free. Tell that to the PNE. Or any place else for that matter. I see plenty of kids at games.

You guys would love coming into a jets game, on a HNIC saturday game against the leafs, me and a friend snuck in a bottle of gin and before i had a chance to go to the washroom and dunk the liquor into my oversized drink i bought, the jumbotron zoomed in on me and my buddy. I was a little buzzed and decided to whip the bottle out and start chugging (classy i know) needless to say the entire arena was chanting "chug! chug! chug!" and i got somewhat of a standing ovation. lol, never got kicked out either.

Jets won the game 5-1 and randy carlyle was fired the following day, leafs jerseys were being tossed on the ice, great game... 

And i'd trade it instantly to have just been at GM place when burrows scored in OT against the hawks.

Archived