The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rebuild Kicked Off With Acquiring Bo, & Was Completed at 2019 Draft!

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

1 minute ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Why don't we wait until the actual season actually starts before we bury this year's version....

I think we will be hard pressed to keep in the draft lottery with 88-92 points this year....!

I will hope for the best but i can't help but see another lottery looming. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Why don't we wait until the actual season actually starts before we bury this year's version....

I think we will be hard pressed to keep in the draft lottery with 88-92 points this year....!

It's a reasonable suggestion, & sure don't mind if you've hit the nail on the head! :^)

18 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

You know you can bet on this.

Last year the Canucks got over 20% of their points in the last 9 games when teams were suddenly the worst in the league ( not tanking for better odds for Dahlin or outright declared "blowing it up") and they barely got over 70 pts, again. If the end of last season reflects how good they are then they should get around 127 pts, if you believe that.

This year may/shall/could be the worst of the last 5 years with 2020 showing marked improvement but it sure would be great to get Alexis Lafrenière. If the Nucks lucked out and got both Hughes and Lafrenière all they would need is a top young dman like McAvoy or Shergachev and maybe trade/sign another "stud" dman that has been there.

Now that would be a team to compete for a cup for 6 years or so, it would take cap management genius to manipulate. 5+ players all getting 10 mil a season, it may be possible depending upon the new CBA and the cap continuing to go up. 

20 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

"Kamikaze" is really takin' 1 for the team! Nuthin ninja-stealthy here..it's simply one more mighty rough yr, I'm afraid...

I don't know if this has been talked about but we could have trouble in net in a year from now. Obviously our goaltending hasn't looked good in the preseason. What if none of our goalies make any significant progress this year? I hope Demko goes back to Utica and has a monster season and I hope Markstrom takes another step forward but our goaltending isn't exactly a sure thing in a year from now. What if Dipietro ends up being our guy and he's still about 3 years away from being an NHL backup. Food for thought.

I certainly feel better now about the state of the prospects.  I do think we need another high pick but seeing just how good a centre EP is/will be I feel much more comfortable with the state of the prospects.

The NHL team is awful and will be getting a high pick this year and probably next.  Even if EP is racking up the points, Brock scores 40 and Bo gets 70 its we still will have trouble scoring consistently this year.  If the goaltending isn't lights out we are going to be near the bottom of the league.

Hughes was a lucky get, send him to the lottery draw this year.

Most of the young talent are two years or more away from the NHL and probably a couple more years after that till they are good NHLers.  So we should be seeing several good high picks in the years to come.

*evaluating, & honestly assessing*

*worrying, ruminating/obsessing, & chewing one's fingernails off*

...so what do YOU do?

From starting this thread(about a yr back), I tried to take a somewhat lighter look at an upcoming hard slog. Of course more travails were in store, but I wanted to suggest a good portion(a progressing %, with each passing game!) of the 're-thing' was already in the rear view.

To put it simply, if one doesn't enjoy observing the process of their fav team building anew, perhaps they've chosen the wrong hobby? There are too many serious issues in the world today. So I choose to see it as an interest; not an all-encompassing obsession. Another observation is that sports-fandom can overwhelm people, when too many other aspects of their lives are outa' kilter. For many, can be a 'drug of choice' when the rest of life doesn't serve up quite the desired rush.

Well paid sporting stars likely don't care much if a large portion of their proceeds trickle up from the desperate fantasies of neurotic, under-satisfied junkies! :^)

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

That's a bold call, with how preseason's going. The div is looking tough too. I bought you a beer for blind faith!

Isk Ive never put stock into preseason games, its not an indicator whatsoever for the regular season. That being said, Horvat Boeser Baertschi and EP look ready for a big year, and Stecher Hutton Juolevi Gudbranson have so much to prove. Markstrom has the potential. I dont know, I really like our squad and see something bright. Its not like its close to an end product at all, but I think this year is the first step on the ladder to the Stanley Cup. Just a feeling

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

That's a bold call, with how preseason's going. The div is looking tough too. I bought you a beer for blind faith!

Not just our division, the entire West.  Better hope the boys are ready for the token one road game per year in the East, they will need those points!

• Upvote 1

I hope it is only one more year.

my fear is that it won't be over until Eriksson, Beagle and Rousell are gone.  Even forgetting their cap hit, just having them on the team is going to mean we are going to the bottom.  4 years.  ugh.  I guess we could put them on a line together and just never play that line...

Hope I'm wrong!!!

Not even Auquaman can stop this bottomless tank now! Every signing of a 30+ y/o fourth liner helps the tank even more. 

The future:

Forwards: Horvat, Virtanen, Petterson, Boeser (Potentially Gaudette, Lind, Rathbone)

Sign nylander and draft Jack Hughes. Draft some RH d in the future. LH D prospects are already strong (Juolevi, Hughes.

Demko is good, and Dipietro is basically a shorter version of luongo.

I think this is the year we bottom out.  By that I mean we will have a guaranteed top five pick in the draft.  OTT will likely have honours if DFL but we won’t be far behind.  The silver lining is another great prospect, and what happens down in Utica.  Also the stealth line should be removed from the thread, when all the hockey pundits think we will be worst in our division and don’t have a chance at a playoff spot there’s nothing sneaky about it.  

23 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

I know it's just pre-season and I shouldn't get my hopes up, but their play so far is encouraging from a #TeamTank perspective.  Hopefully, it carries over to the regular season because all I want this year is to watch Pettersson do his dekes and get another top 5 pick!

You should get your wish on both counts...top then plays of the week on SN had THREE with Pettersson, including the number one which was Talbots glove save on Goldobin who was dished a sure goal by Pettersson cross crease pass...or not he must be snake bitten.  My fave was his pass between his legs, and a defender that started the tic-tac-toe goal with Horvat and Bear.  Not sure how TG plans to play him but he deserves his spot undeniably after what we’ve seen.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FireGillis said:

I know it's just pre-season and I shouldn't get my hopes up, but their play so far is encouraging from a #TeamTank perspective.  Hopefully, it carries over to the regular season because all I want this year is to watch Pettersson do his dekes and get another top 5 pick!

Gun for Jack.