The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Andrey Pedan, 4th-round pick to Penguins for Derrick Pouliot

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I think that's been a common criticism of Benning - he should be stockpiling picks, but instead he has had the same number going out than in (28 picks in 4 drafts).

But it's hard to argue against this trade. Even though Pouliot has struggled, the (remote) potential of having a top-4 PMD still emerge is worth far more than Pedan + 4th. Hopefully though we'll be trading more than just Vanek at the deadline...

thats funny I thought the idea was to stockpile talent :P a lot of teams don't get the development part right for some players, even very good organizations like Pits. It happens. Could be our good fortune. 

I like this trade, good move for both teams! Pittsburgh received what they could for a player that they were going to loose through waivers.

TO Van:

young d-man with top 4 potential

To Pit:

4th round picks have a 10% chance of playing over 200 nhl games (correct me if I'm wrong) and a career AHL D-man with potential to be 6/7th on the depth chart. 

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

No, not quite as simple as that.  If Pouliot doesn't reach his ceiling then he is essential worthless.  If Pedan doesn't reach his ceiling, he can still be a physical presence on a bottom pairing.  I do agree with your ceiling assessment though, for what it's worth.

If Pedan doesn't reach his ceiling, he's not in the NHL.

He's already on the verge of being passed by McEneny, Chatfield, Holm and Brisebois. Juolevi will be soon to follow.

He was already close to 'worthless'. And we just got a potential top 4, offensive PMD for him. Call it the win that it is. 

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

He was already close to 'worthless'. And we just got a potential top 4, offensive PMD for him. Call it the win that it is. 

I agree Pedan didn't have any value.  But I'm not going to call it a win, and it lies in that 4th pick.  Benning has already proven to be a good drafter, and Pouliot has already proven he is unlikely to reach his ceiling.  Reading HFboards, Penguins fans are happy to see him out of there - presumably for that exact reason.

So basically, we gave up an admittedly not great player and a draft pick for the CHANCE that Pouliot might turn it around.  That's a sure-fire win to you?  Alrighty.

4 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I agree Pedan didn't have any value.  But I'm not going to call it a win, and it lies in that 4th pick.  Benning has already proven to be a good drafter, and Pouliot has already proven he is unlikely to reach his ceiling.  Reading HFboards, Penguins fans are happy to see him out of there - presumably for that exact reason.

So basically, we gave up an admittedly not great player and a draft pick for the CHANCE that Pouliot might turn it around.  That's a sure-fire win to you?  Alrighty.

And flames fans were happy to get rid of Baer and Granlund too. You really shouldn't base your opinion on what fans of any team think.

And yes a 4th rounder that we can EASILY recoup for even a potential top 4, offensive PMD is beyond a win. If Benning somehow magically drafted Pouliot with that 4th rounder this summer, we'd all be extremely stoked at his potential.

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

yost-draft1_53958.jpg

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

to be fair, whoever Pitts. drafts could be someone completely different than who Benning could pick. 

Most likely wont have the same upside as Pouliot. 

Couple/few thoughts:

1.  Pedan cannot provide any physical deterrance if he cannot break onto the lineup.

2.  Pouliot showed well, being held by a linesman during a scrum, taking a hay-maker on the back of the head from a third player, getting the number of the cheap shot artist, and finishing off his first opponent with one beauty to the button.

3.  His prior successes (Mem Cup, Stanley, All-Star, etc.), especially with TG at the helm, are considerable, and this change could be just what he needs to perform very well for us in a capacity that has been unfilled for far too long; (plus funny comment from reporter, "since you (JB) were being drafted by the Canucks"). 

4.  Benning's comments in that wee video thing (Twitter?  Forgive me, I am a dinosaur.) suggested to me that he was shopping Subban, when on the face of it, he was praising Subban.  I think training camp showed that Subban and Pedan were not going to be in his future plans, except as tradeable "assets".  This is an area of Jim Bennings mandate that may yet prove to be the most rewarding to the team:  the ability to evaluate and identify prospects that are not going to be on the team, and maximize the return when disposing of them.

Two thumbs up from me.

1 hour ago, gameburn2 said:

Interesting you say that.  Most of us didn't either.  And yet with all the D around (including Wiercioch), it sort of makes sense to move one.  But to get another D back for Pedan?  We still have too many D.  

Maybe puck-moving-D are hard enough to find that it's worth have 3 or 4 in the system, hoping 1 or 2 work out.  We have Subban, Brisebois, Juolevi and now Pouliot.  To go along with Stecher and Hutton.  Imagine if either of Dahlin or Merkley end up here too? lol. Nashville 2.0.

I thought if there were going to be D traded today, it would be Vegas doing it. You see the bottleneck that they have at D going into the season? Its nuts!

I think management thought that there would be a lot better market for D through the off season, when they did expansion draft. Going to be interesting to see opening night lineup.

I love posters declaring a winner from this  trade.    2 guys that can't crack NHL rosters and some posters are declaring a club as winning the trade.

Wait a year or 2 before deciding who won this swap of spare parts. 

Wow, really. 

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I love posters declaring a winner from this  trade.    2 guys that can't crack NHL rosters and some posters are declaring a club as winning the trade.

Wow, really. 

This, plus 1

34 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

anyone thinking that this move was poor "asset management" just wants to complain and is using that term as an excuse.

@J.R. has it correct, its high ceiling for low ceiling. 

Exactly. Poor asset management would be having an asset that looks to have little value to the organization moving forward and hanging onto him. It should be pretty obvious to many that unfortunately Pedan was running out of time to prove himself with the likes of OJ, Chatfield, Brisebois etc in Utica and with the guys already on the big club. Instead JB moves him for another project player who has more potential. It either pays off or it doesn't, so why not roll the dice on a guy who can possibly hit that high ceiling. Either way, not much risk in this move. That 4th isn't a huge loss and should be easily replaced at the TDL. May even look like another steal by Trader Jim in a year's time.

38 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If Pedan doesn't reach his ceiling, he's not in the NHL.

He's already on the verge of being passed by McEneny, Chatfield, Holm and Brisebois. Juolevi will be soon to follow.

Hutton and Pouliot are competing for the same spot in the lineup as the partner for Tanev.

Hutton or Del Zotto could be moved at the deadline imo.

I find it funny that Penguins fans would write that 23 year old Derrick Pouliot was the 'worst player in the NHL' when 24/25 year old Justin Schultz was considered the same before being traded to Pitt. Even the TSN guys were calling Schultz the worst player on national television. 

My point is that every one of these players can turn it around and at 23, Pouliot has plenty of time to do so. Lets all hope that he does and really finds his stride here. 

Great trade IMO

Benning, one day your work will be recognized, understood and appreciated.

14 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Wow, really. 

This:

9 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

Exactly. Poor asset management would be having an asset that looks to have little value to the organization moving forward and hanging onto him. It should be pretty obvious to many that unfortunately Pedan was running out of time to prove himself with the likes of OJ, Chatfield, Brisebois etc in Utica and with the guys already on the big club. Instead JB moves him for another project player who has more potential. It either pays off or it doesn't, so why not roll the dice on a guy who can possibly hit that high ceiling. Either way, not much risk in this move. That 4th isn't a huge loss and should be easily replaced at the TDL. May even look like another steal by Trader Jim in a year's time.

We traded something we weren't using and a low ceiling with a low percentage 4th for a promising lottery ticket. If he plays NHL games for us, it's a win, if he doesn't, it's a draw.

The worst we can do on this trade is a draw. The best is a serious, serious win. To me that's a 'win' even in 'today's' dollars. No need to wait. 

Archived