The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Andrey Pedan, 4th-round pick to Penguins for Derrick Pouliot

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but it looks like Pouliot was drafted at around 181 lbs. He now registers at 208 lbs. Thats and additional 27 lbs packed into a 6' frame. Not sure when or how quick he put on that wieght but it could explain some of his difficulties transferring his game to the NHL. If he can settle into that larger frame we might have something here.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

This:

We traded something we weren't using and a low ceiling with a low percentage 4th for a promising lottery ticket. If he plays NHL games for us, it's a win, if he doesn't, it's a draw.

The worst we can do on this trade is a draw. The best is a serious, serious win. To me that's a 'win' even in 'today's' dollars. No need to wait. 

What if that 4th turns into a Sheary,Rust, or Guentzel?

Just now, Canorth said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but it looks like Pouliot was drafted at around 181 lbs. He now registers at 208 lbs. Thats and additional 27 lbs packed into a 6' frame. Not sure when or how quick he put on that wieght but it could explain some of his difficulties transferring his game to the NHL. If he can settle into that larger frame we might have something here.

Juolevi had the same problem this camp didn't look as fluid in his skating.

Maybe Green decides he needs to lose weight like Virtanen and whips him into shape.

Overall I like the deal. Sucks giving up the 4th, as Benning has proven to be a late round bloodhound when it comes to sniffing out talent deep in the draft, but I'll take it for a guy that could still potentially have a pretty high ceiling. 

Considering where we're at in our rebuild, we can afford to let him make a few mistakes along the way. 

I get why Pedan sat the last pre-season game now. Was wondering why somehow Biega and Wiercoch were ahead of him in the pecking order. Really like this trade. Possible allusive PMD in the midst and no hurry to have him develop in to this spot too. Can progress with the rest of the young group.

With the emergence of players such as Granny, Baert and even Kassian, I have high hopes that Pouliott can follow in their footsteps.

Nice trade Benning. ::D

3 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

:bored: 

I take it you disagree? Hoping for an injury then to keep all 3 plus Edler?

Green already said he wants a true lefty-righty balance on his d pair.

Not in any particular order, but we have a nice mix of L/R here now, and I agree it's more important than most people think. Green has some options here, for sure.

Edler       (L)     Stecher (R)
Del Zotto (L)     Tanev    (R) 
Hutton     (L)     Guddy   (R)
Pouliot     (L)     Biega    (R)

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

I get why Pedan sat the last pre-season game now. Was wondering why somehow Biega and Wiercoch were ahead of him in the pecking order. Really like this trade. Possible allusive PMD in the midst and no hurry to have him develop in to this spot too. Can progress with the rest of the young group.

With the emergence of players such as Granny, Baert and even Kassian, I have high hopes that Pouliott can follow in their footsteps.

Nice trade Benning. ::D

This is key with this trade. Pitts are not in a similar situation as us; they are repeat cup winners. They would've lost him for nothing to waivers, so may as well get something, and that someone had to have cleared waivers. 

Considering that he would've been lost for nothing should say something to some posters on here. Alas, it likely won't. 

38 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I love posters declaring a winner from this  trade.    2 guys that can't crack NHL rosters and some posters are declaring a club as winning the trade.

Wait a year or 2 before deciding who won this swap of spare parts. 

Wow, really. 

Considering the age of both players being swapped it's really this year or bust it seems. If one or neither don't stick with their teams I could see them going to Europe/Russia next year.

I'm shocked to see how well cdc has taken this trade given the love affair with pedan around here. I was never a fan of the pedan trade to begin with but we have up little to get him so I never raised a stink. Excited to see if DP can elevate his game to the point of nhl regular (something pedan has shown no signs of). 

Great asset managment by......Pittsburg

pedan cleared waivers so we weren't losing anything

pouliot was on the outside and destine for waivers would he have been claimed most likely after all he's was the 8th pick

so instead of risking it Pitts trades for a guy that's NHL ready and has already cleared waivers and get a 4th round pick as well 

vancouver gives up it slim NHL D depth, even slimmer toughness and even thou a 4th round draft pick still important in a rebuild. Perhaps if the gm was worried about NHL ready prospects he'd should consider to start drafting some instead of long term project picks.

13 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

:bored: 

I take it you disagree? Hoping for an injury then to keep all 3 plus Edler?

Green already said he wants a true lefty-righty  balance on his d pair.

More that I have no idea what it had to do with the post you quoted.

I don't have to hope for anything, there will be injuries. I think (if they can), they'll go slow with Pouliot. Lot's of practice, video and likely want him to cut down 5-10 lbs in the gym too before they insert him in the lineup so long as an injury doesn't move that timeline up.

As for moving other D, it's likely we'll need to start looking at moving someone this TDL/summer. Particularly if Pouliot can make progress.

1 minute ago, combover said:

Great asset managment by......Pittsburg

pedan cleared waivers so we weren't losing anything

pouliot was on the outside and destine for waivers would he have been claimed most likely after all he's was the 8th pick

so instead of risking it Pitts trades for a guy that's NHL ready and has already cleared waivers and get a 4th round pick as well 

vancouver gives up it slim NHL D depth, even slimmer toughness and even thou a 4th round draft pick still important in a rebuild. Perhaps if the gm was worried about NHL ready prospects he'd should consider to start drafting some instead of long term project picks.

"NHL ready and has already cleared waivers" :picard:

Archived