The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Andrey Pedan, 4th-round pick to Penguins for Derrick Pouliot

Man, I remember saying Pouliot has the potential to be a franchise defensemen amongst his peers........oh boy I was wrong. 

Still a fan of his, and hopefully he can turn it around under the tutelage of Green. Next step, bring in Mike Johnston and trade for Johansen.

56 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canucks JB loves picking up off the scrap heap...

This off season  now 5  guys from the wrecking yard.....  All former first rounders...   Gagner ( 6th ) Burmistov ( 8)  DelZotto ( 20 ) and Poullit ( 8)   and Vanek (  5 )

Why would JB throw in a  4th rd pick for  Pouilot who was about to go on waivers.....  JB loves wasting picks his deals and does it again..

JB just got the 2017 version of Puilliot   not the 2012 version......     He was so far off the Penquins roster he had a hard time even getting near the rink...

Good chance Colorado would have picked him up, they need D's

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Depends how much our powerplay struggles.

I'd like to see MDZ, Stecher, Hutton, and Pouliot all get prime looks. Anyone but Edler on the first unit.

2 hours ago, 6string said:

That's where I was going with this, Edler was on the PP in the last exhibition game...

A much improved look from last year with this group.

With all due respect to Edler, he's been a great shutdown defenseman and anchor for our blueline for the better part of a decade, but his offensive game isn't nearly what it used to be. I'd like to see Edler play top 5v5 minutes and top PK time. That'll keep him from being overworked in a game. 

I agree... MDZ, Stecher, Hutton, and Pouliot should see the bulk of the PP time. I can see Stecher and MDZ seeing the most minutes on the PP of those four, with Hutton being rotated in and Pouliot as well when he's in game. 

That said, similar to Willie Desjardins giving Linden Vey prime minutes to showcase himself, I'm hoping Travis Green gives Pouliot some love too.

I can't believe that there is 29 pages on these 2 players, that at this moment are both fringe NHLers..........

And just for the record.......................

I would trade Pedan and a 4th for the chance of Pouliots pedigree 10 out of 10 everytime

If it all falls apart......exactly what have we lost? I mean seriously?

It's very interesting listening to the radio guys talk about the trade and give their "two cents" and analysis. One thing specifically that came up was the type of defenseman we have on the left side and how that may affect future trades. A succession plan if you will.

On the left side defensemen depth chart the Canucks have Edler, Hutton, Del Zotto, Pouliot, Juolevi, McEneny, and Brisebois. Of the NHL defenseman, Edler is the only one who has a strong defensive game; Hutton, Del Zotto, and Pouliot are all puck moving, offensive-minded defensemen with varying degrees of defensive deficiencies. Further down the pipeline, Juolevi and Brisebois are similar to Edler as they are known for their strong defense and two-way play (Juolevi with a much higher offensive ceiling than Brisebois).

To make room for Pouliot or even Juolevi and Brisebois to be on the main roster (the latter two not so immediately as the former), it would make sense that the Canucks keep the LHD with a strong defensive game and trade one of the guys who aren't as good in that aspect. That is,  if the Canucks are serious about giving Pouliot a shot with meaningful minutes as a top 6 defensemen it makes sense that the Canucks keep Edler to anchor the defense and trade one of Del Zotto or Hutton sometime in the near future.

Hutton may hold the highest trade value -- young, mobile, can move the puck, and put up almost 30 points 2 years ago in his rookie season -- so I wouldn't be surprised if he were to be traded sometime in the near future. That would make immediate room for Pouliot. When Del Zotto is traded or finishes his contract with us that should be around the time where Juolevi plays second or third pair.

Not sure what Hutton gets 1 for 1 but involved in a package we could get quite a player.

What I really like about this trade is the fact that we'll probably get something like a fourth at the deadline for Vanek anyway. Pedan is the only asset really lost in the deal. I liked him a lot, but I'd rather take the chance on Pouliot. He's just about as useful as Pedan in the NHL now, but has more potential to turn into a very useful player.

8 hours ago, combover said:

Great asset managment by......Pittsburg

pedan cleared waivers so we weren't losing anything

pouliot was on the outside and destine for waivers would he have been claimed most likely after all he's was the 8th pick

so instead of risking it Pitts trades for a guy that's NHL ready and has already cleared waivers and get a 4th round pick as well 

vancouver gives up it slim NHL D depth, even slimmer toughness and even thou a 4th round draft pick still important in a rebuild. Perhaps if the gm was worried about NHL ready prospects he'd should consider to start drafting some instead of long term project picks.

You’ve totally lost the plot mate. 

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I can't believe that there is 29 pages on these 2 players, that at this moment are both fringe NHLers..........

And just for the record.......................

I would trade Pedan and a 4th for the chance of Pouliots pedigree 10 out of 10 everytime

If it all falls apart......exactly what have we lost? I mean seriously?

Yes exactly... We are taking about a player, who can't break into our top 8... was benched several times by our coach in the AHL. 

I still feel we need a bit more muscle on the back end, but they need to be able to play their way on to the team as well...

Archived