The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Andrey Pedan, 4th-round pick to Penguins for Derrick Pouliot

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Didn't we get Ehrhoff for (pretty much) peanuts - White?  Maybe it's meant to happen again for us?:)

I think it was something like Patrick White and Daniel Rahim(sp?) Rahimi.

Just checked and yes that was the trade. We also got Brad Lukowich in the deal.

Just now, Fantomex said:

I think it was something like Patrick White and Daniel Rahim(sp?)?

And Ehrhoff was coming up to waivers, or couldn't agree to a contract or something.  So, it's pretty similar.  Nothing given up (really) for a potentially dynamic offensive minded dman, who is still young.  

14 hours ago, oldnews said:

leave it to surrey to give combover a run for his money lol.

I remember when Baertschi was a bust and waste of a 2nd - and  Granlund was a 4th line center at best, who Benning got fleeced in acquiring for Shinkaruk.  You have to pay - to risk the odd Linden Vey - to get the payoff.   In the end we can evaluate whether Benning batted better than the draft positions he's given up.

But for now, here's king of the east side going on about wasting a 4th round pick.   Surprise.  Thanks for the googlescout shade.

SoiledHisPants News  -   typically you once again have nothing to add to the discussion except excrement and spilled coffee.

Fact is JB loves a former first round struggling player.  

I would rather have kept Pedan on the club this year to at least give us some toughness on the squad.

Having Pouilet as   7-8 D man  is not going to help our club.    Penquin management gave up on him as his game has not developed the last 2-3 years......

Lots of players excel at the WHL level and fail to develop into pro players....   

13 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

SoiledHisPants News  -   typically you once again have nothing to add to the discussion except excrement and spilled coffee.

I would rather have kept Pedan on the club this year to at least give us some toughness on the squad.

Having Pouilet as   7-8 D man  is not going to help our club.    Penquin management gave up on him as his game has not developed the last 2-3 years......

Pedan being tough is great.  Then what?  Green wouldn't even allow him to make the roster after coaching him for back to back seasons.

Pens management gave up on him after winning back to back cups and being a top 3 team in the league the 2 years prior to those cup wins.  He was literally not needed on a championship squad.  Pedan couldn't crack the blue line on the 2nd worst team in the league and the 4th worst the year before

And you think somehow someway Pedan would be better than him based on what?

So he succeeded at the WHL level, then became a 2 time AHL all star.  Meanwhile Pedan was what?  1 concussion from drinking his soup through a straw.

If you cannot find value in this deal fine.  But don't pretend just because Pedan is "tough" he is magically better than Pouliot.  Pouliot who in 114 AHL games has 70 points and in 33 NHL games has 7 points vs Pedan who in 139 AHL games over the same period of time has 45 points and 0 points in 13 NHL games

Because point for point.  Numbers for numbers, if these two never progress past AHL defencemen.  Pouliot is STILL the better player

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Because point for point.  Numbers for numbers, if these two never progress past AHL defencemen.  Pouliot is STILL the better player

I don't think the Canucks should be focusing on attaining another solid AHL player.

Canucks need NHL players this season and toughness is something we will definately be short of this season.  

Time to start protecting the younger players as well as Hank and Danny when they get run  like every season. 

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I don't think the Canucks should be focusing on attaining another solid AHL player.

Canucks need NHL players this season and toughness is something we will definately be short of this season.  

Time to start protecting the younger players as well as Hank and Danny when they get run  like every season. 

Problem is what YOU think means jack and shart man.  Pouliot is a potential NHL D man.  Pedan appears is not.  If the younger players NEED protecting they don't belong in the NHL to begin with

5 of the last 8 cup winners did it WITHOUT tough guys in their line up.  LA did it with Nolan as their only "tough guy" and he only played 3 playoff games in their 2nd cup win.

Stop making "tough" guys a thing in the NHL.  If you want to watch tough hockey watch more AHL or CHL games.  The NHL is moving away from that.  For very good reason

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

I believe his point is that Pouliot has more potential to become an NHL player.

Toughness is something we could use, but we are lacking that elusive offensive dman. Toughness is much easier to find when needed, especially a potential bottom 6 tough guy filler like Pedan.

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Problem is what YOU think means jack and shart man.  Pouliot is a potential NHL D man.  Pedan appears is not.  If the younger players NEED protecting they don't belong in the NHL to begin with

5 of the last 8 cup winners did it WITHOUT tough guys in their line up.  LA did it with Nolan as their only "tough guy" and he only played 3 playoff games in their 2nd cup win.

Stop making "tough" guys a thing in the NHL.  If you want to watch tough hockey watch more AHL or CHL games.  The NHL is moving away from that.  For very good reason

Couldn't of said it better. 

26 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Pot and the freaking kettle

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Pitsburg Penquins do not agree with him.....   Do you think Pitsburg has a quality GM ?

Pittsburgh management didn't see a good fit on the blue line for him. Doesn't mean he cant eventually make it as a regular. They were moving him down if he stayed so they figured they would just get some assets before losing him for nothing. 

He may not be the player he was drafted to be but it is well worth the gamble with a player who won't see ice time in van. 

28 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

80% of 1st round draft picks play 50+ games in the NHL, if you are taken in the top 10 then the chances are much greater for success in the NHL. This is a gamble worth taking IMO

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Pitsburg Penquins do not agree with him.....   Do you think Pitsburg has a quality GM ?

Pittsburgh is a back-to-back Stanley Cup winning team that has Letang and Schultz as their offensive leaders on defense. The Canucks currently near the bottom of the pack traded a guy that couldn't crack the roster. So do I back up the claim that Pouliot has more potential to be an NHL player? Absolutely. I think Pittburgh does indeed have a decent GM because they got assets for a guy they could've potentially lost for nothing, but that's beside the point.

For what it's worth, DobberProspects has a very telling tale on Derrick Pouliot. Quite a long read as it does span 5 years' worth of updates, but it does provide insight into his play and his fallout from management's depth chart.

http://www.dobberprospects.com/derrick-pouliot-2/

The scouts on DobberProspects cite his "lapses in concentration," a "shortage of desire," and a "baffling inability to... process the game at the NHL level" in the defensive zone as major factors of him not cracking the Penguins lineup. Moreover, on a championship-winning team Pittsburgh head coach Mike Sullivan did not want a defenseman who would make mistakes.

It will be a process for Derrick Pouliot. Coach Travis Green when speaking to the media this afternoon said that we won't "see him on the weekend" and will need more time to evaluate the young blue liner, likely hinting that Pouliot will be a healthy scratch until he learns the system. Furthermore, Green also said that he wants to put his players into positions where they can succeed, which might mean a slightly longer stay in the press box for Pouliot.

Two things are certain, however; one, that the Canucks' future depth on the defense group is desperately lacking the type of player with his skillset, and two, when Derrick Pouliot does draw into the Canucks' lineup he will be put into a position for him to be successful. 

55 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

And lots of D men take much longer than forwards to develop at the pro level. I'm all about toughness but it can be found on the waiver wire.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

13192983.jpg?size=640x420

Archived