The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All time Canucks lines

dangerous365

5 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

Another thought might be to suggest all-time best lines that actually played together. Examples would be:

That's good idea.  I would throw in:

Courtnall-Linden-Bure Or Odjick/Courtnall-Adams-Bure  Doesn't matter who they'd thrown in, Bure would still score 60 goals with them on both lines.  

Bertuzzi-Morrison-Naslund

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows or Sedin-Sedin-Carter

Fraser-Gradin-Smyl

Kesler

I don't remember the defenseman pairing lines that time so I'll mix them up.  

Salo-Jovocop

Ohlund-Lumme

Babych-Snpests

Edler (pre-injury Edler) (Post-injury Edler, I would pick Lidster)

Ehrhoff

Luongo

Schnider 

McLean

Brodeur

That's my 23-man roster and top line with Bure is actually difficult choice with McLean-Brodeur would have been 3rd-4th string if they were thrown together playing at same era.

As for my all-time line-up according to their position and stats with chemistry history both same era or a potential all-timer with different era:

Bertuzzi-Kesler-Bure 

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Courtnall-Sundin-Linden

Fraser-Gradin-Smyl/Naslund

That top line has a potential to score more than 150 points if they were playing together with best shutdown center we've ever had that scored 40 goals with the best power forward we ever had that scored a ppg in 2002-03 season with Bure 60 goals.  We can imagine how many points they might end up.. maybe higher than they ever did in their career.   I know the fact that Sedin cannot mesh other superstar very well with Naslund, Bertuzzi, or even Eriksson.   Sundin could still play at late 30's when he was with us so that line would be pretty good considering.  Any line with Bure is on top line for me no matter the combinations.

4 hours ago, apollo said:

Brooooooo... come on 

I'm assuming that's a shot to Luongo's performance in the SCF. Can you let me know how many NHL goalies have had 2 shutouts in the SCF in 1-0 wins? 

Luongo was the only reason that series got to 7 games. 

Riiiight. 2 shutouts and still managed to post a 3.50 GAA and .860 Sv% in the series. Magnificent! Tim Thomas would've had two 1-0 wins as well but Luongo got ventilated in those games.

I'd say your'e almost bang on about Luongo being the only reason the series went to 7 though. It takes a special kind of performance to blow a 2-0 lead in the SCF, losing 4 of 5 with home ice advantage. I believe the Canucks were only the second team to pull it off? To be fair though, many of our top players were no-shows

5 minutes ago, dangerous365 said:

So now that we've seen a lot of options for the Canucks best lines ever, which team in the NHL boasts the best ever "squad"? 

When i I was growing up the Red Wings had a great team so I'm sure they would have a great ultimate line up 

Yup.  Howe, Lindsey, and Abel.  The "Production Line".  

21 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

Another thought might be to suggest all-time best lines that actually played together. Examples would be:

Bertuzzi - Morrison - Naslund

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Lever - Boudrias - Ververgaert

Fraser - Gradin - Smyl

Skriko - Sundstrom - Tanti

Courtnall - Ronning - Linden

Five lines and no Bure 

22 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

Bertuzzi - Morrison - Naslund

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Lever - Boudrias - Ververgaert

Fraser - Gradin - Smyl

Skriko - Sundstrom - Tanti

Courtnall - Ronning - Linden

You could also include:

Bure - Linden - Adams

On 10/6/2017 at 4:18 PM, apollo said:

Brooooooo... come on 

I'm assuming that's a shot to Luongo's performance in the SCF. Can you let me know how many NHL goalies have had 2 shutouts in the SCF in 1-0 wins? 

Luongo was the only reason that series got to 7 games. 

And he finished the series with a save percentage of around .880 i believe. Shows how bad he played in the losses. So your partially correct with Luongo was the only reason the series went to 7 games... great goalies would take a 2-0 lead and finish them off before 7 games!

With Players I've seen playing..

Courtnall - Linden - Bure

Naslund - Morrison - Bertuzzi

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows

Ronning - Kesler - Mogilny

Cooke - Brashear/Rypien - Odjick  (thats tough.. )

Lumme - Jovanovski

Ohlund - Salo

Edler - Bieksa

Hamhuis - A. Aucoin

Luongo

McLean

Cloutier

Coach

Pat Quinn & Alain Vigneault

:wub:

On 2017-10-06 at 2:41 PM, Tre Mac said:

Bure Linden Mogilny

Sedin Sedin Burtuzzi

Smyl Morrison Naslund

Odjick Walker Neely

McLean  <--- Didn't choke when it mattered, screw the stats 

Schneider

Just try and mess with that 4th line

If choking when it mattered was a factor, why are the Sedins on there? They were supposed to be scoring leaders yet they disappeared in the SCF to help the Canucks achieve a record: lowest goals scored ever in a 7-game series. 

Without Lou that year the Nucks get swept by the Bs...... well maybe they steal one at best. 

3 hours ago, Cocolocci said:

With Players I've seen playing..

Courtnall - Linden - Bure

Naslund - Morrison - Bertuzzi

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows

Ronning - Kesler - Mogilny

Cooke - Brashear/Rypien - Odjick  (thats tough.. )

Lumme - Jovanovski

Ohlund - Salo

Edler - Bieksa

Hamhuis - A. Aucoin

Luongo

McLean

Cloutier

Coach

Pat Quinn & Alain Vigneault

:wub:

I'm confused... you say that you've watched these players... yet Edler makes it? I don't know many players that have had -36 seasons yet still make greatest anything lists.

On 2017-10-08 at 1:19 PM, Westcoasting said:

And he finished the series with a save percentage of around .880 i believe. Shows how bad he played in the losses. So your partially correct with Luongo was the only reason the series went to 7 games... great goalies would take a 2-0 lead and finish them off before 7 games!

But with the lack of offense it should have only went 4 games. The Canucks scored less in 7 games than many loseing teams do in a 4 game series.

On 2017-10-06 at 9:29 PM, Riviera82 said:

Riiiight. 2 shutouts and still managed to post a 3.50 GAA and .860 Sv% in the series. Magnificent! Tim Thomas would've had two 1-0 wins as well but Luongo got ventilated in those games.

I'd say your'e almost bang on about Luongo being the only reason the series went to 7 though. It takes a special kind of performance to blow a 2-0 lead in the SCF, losing 4 of 5 with home ice advantage. I believe the Canucks were only the second team to pull it off? To be fair though, many of our top players were no-shows

CE1B9701-168D-4A98-A62F-3E5171DCB1C3.jpeg

Taking all players and their career stasts as a Canuck only:

Forwards:

D. Sedin (2010-2011) - H. Sedin (2009-2010) - Bertuzzi (2002-2003)

Naslund (2002-2003) - Ronning (1992-1993) - Bure (1992-1993) 

Courtnall (1992-1993) - Kesler (2010-2011) - Linden (1995-1996)

Adams (1992-1993) - Horvat (2016-2017) - Smyl (1982-1983)

Burrows (2009-2010)

Four very balanced lines;

Sedins + Bertuzzi as offensive 1A (or 1B).

Ronning with Naslund and Bure as offensive 1B (or 1A).

Putting Sedins wtih Bertuzzi because I think a Bertuzzi is a perfect winger for the Sedins, he goes to the net, forechecks and creates a lot of space for the Sedins to do their magic. Bure on a line with Ronning and Naslund to make a more balance attack from the top 2 lines, and both Ronning and Naslund are faster skaters than the Sedins and they can keep pace with Bure when Bure needs to do his thing. (Honourable mention of Brendan Morrison, he would of slot in as the 2nd line C, but Ronning is just better offensively and is more suitable for this role).

Going down to our 3rd line, we have a very good faceoff man in Ryan Kesler alongside of Linden and Courtnall. This will mainly be a checking line that is extremely dangerous

to generate offense as well. This line will be used to match up against opposition's top line, to shut them dowxn. With the skils these 3 players have, they can also generate offense while being a shut-down line.

A fourthline of Horvat, Adams adn Smyl is another line that can win faceoffs, and take advantage of weaker opposition defense. Horvat would of put up a lot more points playing alongside of Smyl and Adams, and they can be rely on for the defensive zone faceoffs and also chip in offensively. A lot of heart and determination of this line that this line can be a difference maker when all the other lines have a quiet night.

Honourable mention who probably should of make this line up would be Martin Gelinas (1996-1997). if Gelinas plays, he likely would take Adams's spot, but Adams gets ahead of him because Adams is a clutch playoff performer and when this team makes the playoffs Adams would be useful. Yes, Gelinas is also a clutch performer but that came with the Calgary Flames and isn't when he was a Canuck, so Adams got the nod ahead of him.

Burrows as the extra forward to subsitute in when injuries occur. Burrows is a guy that can play anywhere in the line up, reliable defensively and also an agitator that gets under opposition's skin. Sometimes he may play a head of another winger depending on the opponent. Honourable mention to Dave "Tiger" Williams (1980-1981), was debating on whether to have him as the 13th FWD or Burrows, but ultimately went with Burrows.

Defense:

Lumme (1993-1994) - Brown (1994-1995)

Hamhuis (2011-2012) - Bieksa (2011-2012)

Ohlund (2001-2002) - Erhoff (2010-2011)

Salo (2006-2007)

Lumme and Brown will be a great top pairing that they can both generate offense and because they are both fast skaters, back checking wouldn't be much of a concern. Lumme is a smart player and can cover for Brown when he pinches.

Hamhuis and Bieksa is a perfect shut down pairing. This pairing will likely play against oppositions' top line and their job is to limit oppositions best player from creating much offense. Realize I have them both in their best form in 2011-2012, as they were also a great pairing together that specific season and it was just a perfect shut-down pairing (atlesat in my memory).

Ohlund and Erhoff as a third pairing. Ohlund will see more ice-time in the penalty kill and Erhoff will get some PP time as a right hand shot. Ohlund will cover for Erhoff when he pinches and this pairing would be a great 3rd pairing D.

Extra Defenseman in Salo. He will subsitute in when there is an injury or when we want to shake things up on the PP. Since he is often injured in his career, it is probably better to keep him in the press-box most nights to limit the chance of him getting injured. Honourable mentions to the following defenseman that almost made the cut in Alex Edler (2011-2012), the all star form Edler that we likely will never see again :(. Chris Tanev (2014-2015) and also Dave Babych (1993-1994).

Goalies:

Luongo (2006-2007)

Schneider (2011-2012)

Miller (2014-2015)

Luongo without a doubt should be the starter, he is the winningest goalie in Canucks history, and picking his absolute beast form in 2006-2007 would mean he is a breakwall which almost no one can score on us. 

Schneider of 2011-2012 was a solid and perfect backup for the team, and he was just on the rise to be a great goalie and he would be perfect subsituting with Lou playing about 25-30 games (which is almost about the same amount of games he played in 2011-12).

Miller as the third string goalie that gets in as a back up when one of the two gets injured. Before anybody flaming on me for not including Captain Kirk McClean in this, I look at the save percentage and goals against average and with the way the game is trending now, unfortunately most goalies of the 80s and 90s live puck era likely won't make it to the list but I do have him as a honourable mention. And since this is about the best team possible, I pick Miller of 2014-2015 as he was a winning goalie for us that year until his injury and he really was a solid goaltender for the us and he derserves to be here. If we would include his stats as a Sabre, he would o fbeen the back up behind Luongo, but since I am only considering players' stats as a Canuck, Miller will only be the 3rd string goalie here.

PP Unit 1: 

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Bertuzzi

Bure - Brown

Bertuzi as netfront presence to pounce on the loose pucks

Sedins both along the halfwalls cycling the pucks

Bure will basically be all over the ice, both shooting and passing the puck. He plays one of the points because of his speed, he can also go back to check on opposition on breakaways who tries to score a shorty.

Brown as the right hand shot that will be a constant threat from the point

PP Unit 2: 

Naslund - Ronning - Kesler

Lumme - Erhoff

Kesler and Ronning are both centers and if one of them gets waived out, the other can come in for the draw.

Naslund as the righ hand shot on the top of the circle for one timer

Kesler as net-front presence

Erhoff is the point shot that is going to be a threat

Lumme as the puck mover from the blueline

PK Units:

Forward Pairings: Courtnall-Linden, Horvat-Bure, Kesler-Adams, Smyl-Bertuzzi

Defensive Pairings: Hamhuis-Bieksa, Lumme-Erhoff, Ohlund-Brown

Head Coach: Alain Vigneault

You can't go wrong with the winningest coach in Canuck history and before people flaming me for not having Pat Quinn as the coach, read the next segment.

General Manager: Pat Quinn

Since AV is name as the coach, Pat Quinn would be our ultimate GM!

Honourable Mentions: Morrison (2002-2003), Dave "Tiger" Williams (1980-1981), Babych (1993-1994), McClean (1994-1995), Tanev (2014-2015), Edler  (2011-2012), Mogilny (1995-1996)

On 06/10/2017 at 5:55 PM, dangerous365 said:

Messier was a great player, but for the Canucks he was well past his prime. He wouldn't get in an all time Canucks line..

Same with Sundin.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Adams Linden Bure

Naslund Morrison Bertuzzi 

Top three lines ever.

Archived