The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Dale Tallon (Florida) still interested in Gudbranson {from The Province Provies}

I'd keep Gudbranson if I was GM. Two things would make me change my mind...

1) if Gudbranson wants money close to elite #1D level money

2) if Gudbranson is going to walk as a UFA

But I am not really interested in a small forward. But that is just me. I truly don't know anything about these players mentioned.

Gotta be able to handle the grind against NHL defensmen.

1 hour ago, Canucklehead73 said:

I'd keep Gudbranson if I was GM. Two things would make me change my mind...

1) if Gudbranson wants money close to elite #1D level money

2) if Gudbranson is going to walk as a UFA

But I am not really interested in a small forward. But that is just me. I truly don't know anything about these players mentioned.

Gotta be able to handle the grind against NHL defensmen.

3) Playoff hopes are slim post Xmas.  Trade and resign after the season.

Actually I am super excited with all the signings.  They have good term and good money.  We can keep them if we look playoff bound, or sell them all off at the deadline as rentals for more picks.

I truly believe if we are out of the playoffs come TDL this will be the year we pull a "Toronto".  We should be able to garner an extra 4-6 picks/prospects if we firesale.   

8 hours ago, peaches5 said:

I'm not ignoring it. That fact is irrelevant when you're basically saying you'd rather try to re-sign him than get something for him. I would rather trade him for something than risk losing him for nothing. Florida will be able to pay him more and if anything Dave Tallon leaking these rumours out lets Gudbranson know he wants him and I'm sure he would love to go back to Florida.

Florida's number one problem is goaltending. Their offense is good enough to win most games if they could at least get a save. They had like 50 shots on Tampa yesterday completely outplaying, two games really, and lost one and almost a second because of poor goaltending. They do need better defense though but they are very close to being the team to beat in the east.

Its only one game man. Were talking about the duration of a season. 1.They dont have enough depth 2.Not enough skill, but Barkov,Huberdeau, Trocheck are a great start. 3. Goaltending is a bit spotty. That equals a non-contender. 

Contenders

1.Pens

2.Tampa

3.Leafs

4. Caps

15 hours ago, nickels said:

Don't know how Benning could do a deal like this....Are either of those players better than McCann ?

take it with a grain of salt.

it's B-otch-ford.  Worthless source.  Crap stirrer.

Neither of those guys get half a deal done.

Possible truth to Tallon wanting to reacquire Gudbranson, but take it for what it's worth - about an Eklund E-3.

12 hours ago, Me_ said:

Hey Dale...

That time when they kicked you out to get rid of Guddy...

That's a franchise problem. Not ours.

He's a 25yr old punishing defensive defenseman; the type you don't trade.

12 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I'd prefer to keep and extend Gudbranson.

not used to plussing you guys....:lol:

this thread was a nice surprise.   nice to see the majority of folks here realize Gudbranson's importance to this team.

Would take a hell of a return imo.   I think Benning and Gud agreed to revisit contract negotiations this season after Gud has a chance to play and show where he's at - wouldn't be surprised to see him re-up around the half way mark of the season.

I

21 hours ago, darinbadershouldamadeit said:

Funny you should mention that, while i do agree with you, that this isn't the time to bring back Luongo. But Eventually we might need to bring him back and park his contract in Utica to save our Cap space but until then let him be in Florida, hopefully he will play the darn thing out...

luongo whined and cried with the vet team that he had when they did go to the stanley cup, he would have a headache with all the new players in front of him... especially the young guys....ty luongo but stay in florida...

21 hours ago, Jaku said:

Don't get me wrong, I like how Gudbranson plays the game. Any player that puts Lucic on his rear-end is okay with me. But, unfortunately he is an expendable asset. While we may enjoy hits and plays like this, Erik's skill set isn't exactly screaming elite and if Benning believes that he can get a player that will be a better return in the end then I don't think he'll pass up on it.

While Gudbranson may not be elite or untouchable, he's one of the few physical defencemen we have who can also eat minutes. Add to that he's still relatively young and does bring leadership to this team and a team would have to sweeten the deal beyond a good prospect with a high motor to really entice us.

21 hours ago, darinbadershouldamadeit said:

I agree, I would just require that we get the closest thing to a "sure" thing because this pre-season it looked like McCann was going to be a sure thing for them...

While I don't think McCann is a sure thing, nor should we base future values off of previous trades, I agree that we should be trying to get relatively significant value back for a player that really fills a role and can be a part longer term of our young core. A prospect with potential isn't that for me, particularly one that we have depth in with our current prospect pool.

Tallon may be interested, but he isn't going to offer Huberdeau or Barkov (i.e. a forward that would really help us vs another prospect) or a stud defenceman to get Guddy back.

9 hours ago, peaches5 said:

I'm not ignoring it. That fact is irrelevant when you're basically saying you'd rather try to re-sign him than get something for him. I would rather trade him for something than risk losing him for nothing. Florida will be able to pay him more and if anything Dave Tallon leaking these rumours out lets Gudbranson know he wants him and I'm sure he would love to go back to Florida.

Considering we know nothing of him not wanting to re-sign in Vancouver, it's not about getting nothing back for him and having him walk. If Benning gets close to the deadline and feels he can't get a deal done, sure, trade him for something, but to take anything for him - especially this early in the season with the rumours already starting (or continuing from last season) - is very, very premature. The rumoured players offered aren't nearly enough for what he brings to this team right now.

Also, one of the main reasons Florida traded him was because of the potential contract he'd want moving forward, and they didn't want to commit that money to him. If they had lots of room, that wouldn't have been the deal breaker that ended up with a trade after. It won't be something that they feel they have plenty for him either, not even with Tallon back in charge now. We'll have plenty of space soon as well. His contract isn't an issue.

21 hours ago, Green Building said:

I don't see why we'd be interested in trading him right now. That Demers trade would have been garbage had it happened. If Gudbranson is to be moved it should be for a lot more than that, like Duchene-type asking price. You want him? Pay up.

I don't see that at all at the moment. How many other big defenceman like him do we currently have in the lineup?

I agree why we would even think of trading are only real big tough guy that can play top 4 defence..

Guddy 6'5, 220, 25 yrs old lots of upside, just remember how good he played in his last season in  Florida 2015 when he was healthy..WE LACK TOUGHNESS CAN'T TRADE GUDBRANSON

NO TRADING GUDDY FOR MORE SOFT FORARDS ? WE LACK TOUGHNESS ON DEFENCE AND GUDDY WILL BE A BIG KEY PART OF THIS TEAMS FUTURE..ALSO A GREAT LEADER..

WILL SIGNED GUDDY TO A 4YR DEAL IN EARLY FEBRUARY AFTER HE SHOWS EVERYONE HE IS THE REAL DEAL.. 

4YRS -- 16 MILLION DOALLARS

15 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Throw in a first,  not lottery protected,  and then maybe JB considers it if we can't re-sign Quads at a fair price/term.  Hockey has started and there's plenty of real story lines to  discuss yet these guys keep spewing out click-bait garbage.   Guess they couldn't fabricate any bs Boeser rumors after Green shut that down on after hours so they began this made-up garbage. 

Lol some people are saying Boeser is getting traded cause he wasn't in the first game? Newsflash dummies, it's the first game of the season. The NHL is a physical and mental grind. He will get his chances. 

13 hours ago, EdgarM said:

No kidding. Did people not see the effectiveness he had on last  nights game? You know Lucic and kassian were itching to rile things up but seemed deterred by Guddy and Dorsett. Don't know how some don't see the benefit of having a balanced team. Guddy is a piece of the puzzle who cannot be taken out, otherwise we get back into the 2011 Boston problems we had and I definitely do not want to go back to that.

I don't think they were deterred at all. They just weren't unleashed by their coach. MC D and the goon squad is far tougher than they showed last night Gud and Dorse don't deter anyone though I really liked how tall the whole team played with a lead  nux haven't been able to protect 3rd period 1goal lead in a long time. so I'm elated with the win.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

take it with a grain of salt.

it's B-otch-ford.  Worthless source.  Crap stirrer.

Neither of those guys get half a deal done.

Possible truth to Tallon wanting to reacquire Gudbranson, but take it for what it's worth - about an Eklund E-3.

Botch is a decent reporter that works hard and has a sense of humour.  Also has good chemistry with J-Pat, and the provies are awesome.   I think he is not worthless in the least. 

Remember when  Green said that Virtanen needs to move his feet more? I think that's Guddys problem too.  I went to the Edmonton preseason game and he was coasting and floating around a lot.  I decided to Iso in on him for minutes at a time and I was not impressed at all.  He puck moving is below average at best.  Count how many times he gets the puck and just gets rid of it or turns it over....its amazing how often it is. 

9 minutes ago, Ruxin'sVinegarStrokes said:

Botch is a decent reporter that works hard and has a sense of humour.  Also has good chemistry with J-Pat, and the provies are awesome.   I think he is not worthless in the least. 

lemme guess.....nah, nvmd lol.

11 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Very true. Infact, Gudbranson may get an overpayment in Vancouver, precisely because he is the ONLY guy with his skill-set that we have : a big, tough crease-clearing defensive defenceman. Even though players like Hutton, Stecher, Tanev, Edler etc. are more multi-faceted than Guddy, we have multiple of them in our club. 

I don't mind if we overpay a tad. We need him in the line up desperately. We paid Loui 6 million so what another overpayment for something we actually need. When he's healthy he's a huge plus on the team. If he won't resign for a generous offer, then trade him at the deadline. 

Archived