The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Ottawa Senators vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

Just finished watching this AM.  I know it is hard to look good against a trap team but that just looked like a game between two bad teams.

You know it isn't a great game when Vanek is your best forward.  Thought Jake was decent though got schooled a couple times by Phaneuf, good lessons to learn.  he really needs to develop a little button hook move, he goes wide every single time when coming down the right side, not many NHL D-men are going to get walked around like that.

Dorsett had a rough game, hopefully he is coming out and Brock in next game. 

That may be the worst powerplay breakout I have ever seen.  Just awful, I hope that is all they are doing today.

What ever happened to splitting the Sedins up in O.T. 

I thought it worked well in preseason, to play a fast player together with a Sedin and a defence man. 

Am I the only one to wonder about that?

Besides that, I hope Granlund will be moved further up the line up... He's playing well with Sutter and Dorsett, but he get stifled in this checking mode.

The enigma is Vanek (hopefully not this years Vrabata of a year ago). 

If  is not playing with the Sedins, where I'd like to see Granlund again, where do you play him without disturbing the other lines.

Can easily see Granny move up, once Gaunce is ready to move back into a checking position on the 4th line again.

7 hours ago, Great Granny said:

Boeser Horvat Virtanen (good North/South skilled line)

Sedin Sedin Vanek (meh.. it's what the coach likes)

Baertschi Granlund Eriksson (good two-way skilled line on paper)

Gagner Sutter Dorsett (Our so-called grit...)

Pouliot in for Hutton (Lets see what he can do)

If Virtanen doesn't keep up the physical play, you move him off the top line after a period. Eriksson has been a phantom floater alongside Horvat.

"Sedin Sedin Vanek (meh.. it's what the coach likes)" Meh? They were the best line tonight and we would have lost without them and you go meh? So glad you are not the coach...

7 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Granlund was solid as usual. Bo looked frustrated, the puck was just bouncing and he couldn't make the plays he wanted to. Sedins were painful to watch hogging power play time. Sutter on the shootout was a mistake. Baertchi should have been the guy. 

Ottawa plays a non flashy style that frustrates teams and gets the job done. Makes for less entertaining hockey than say Edmonton. We should have won the game tonight in the shootout. Granlunds goal was a beauty. 

I am ready to see Boeser in the lineup replacing Vanek. 

Why would you take out Vanek who was integral to the play of the best line in last night's game? Please explain that one...

People ragged on Guddy last year before he was officially injured, when in reality it is Hutton that was the problem with that pairing.

When you don't trust your partner, it causes you to make mistakes. This is what Hutton can do more then not to his defensive partner, in case of Stecher last night.

It seems that he really doesn't understand his role in the pairing, when to make those quick passes, when to skate the puck out, when to sit back and let your partner go. 

He can be  solid top 4 D with semi offensive threat if he can make those decisions with confidence in his own end.

Maybe pairing him with Tanev would be bring the most out of his abilities and give him that confidence, I don't know but a change should happen to that pairing.

In the meantime....

Pouliot in for Hutton

Boeser in for DD, Burmy or Gagner

10 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

People ragged on Guddy last year before he was officially injured, when in reality it is Hutton that was the problem with that pairing.

When you don't trust your partner, it causes you to make mistakes. This is what Hutton can do more then not to his defensive partner, in case of Stecher last night.

It seems that he really doesn't understand his role in the pairing, when to make those quick passes, when to skate the puck out, when to sit back and let your partner go. 

He can be  solid top 4 D with semi offensive threat if he can make those decisions with confidence in his own end.

Maybe pairing him with Tanev would be bring the most out of his abilities and give him that confidence, I don't know but a change should happen to that pairing.

In the meantime....

Pouliot in for Hutton

I think we see some line juggling (both forwards and defense) for next game and one or both of Boeser and Pouliot inserted into the line up.

20 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

In the meantime....

Pouliot in for Hutton

Not worried about Hutton. 2nd game of the year. Skating is still above average even with +20 pounds added. Willing to watch him for the 1st half of the season before judging. Definitely not sitting Hutton to play Poulliot. Hutton has shown far more in his career to date over Poulliot and I believe they are almost the same age. Poulliot will have to wait for an injury or really have some standout practices that impress Green. Even then Biega might get the call.   

9 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

He is one of the smartest players on the team and carries the puck through the neutral zone very well, sets up his linemates extremely well It seems like he can make something happen every shift......not sure what you're watching.

Do you ever get the feeling that some folks don't actually watch the game and if they do they spend the whole time skipping forward?  Maybe they have a game in 30 somewhere they watch ;) 

9 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

He is one of the smartest players on the team and carries the puck through the neutral zone very well, sets up his linemates extremely well It seems like he can make something happen every shift......not sure what you're watching.

With the puck he's decent, without the puck he's a nightmare. 

Zero intensity, timid, constantly losing puck battles, plays the perimeter, and weak defensively.

6 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

gfg I get the misses to PVR the game for me and its not available in my region?  Was it on a different TSN channel?  Maybe she picked the wrong channel.....

Things were screwy last night because the Cubs-Nationals game was cancelled. The baseball game was originally scheduled on Sportsnet Pacific, so they had the canucks game on their alternate, Canucks only channel, something like 302 on Shaw. Since there was no baseball or hockey game on the actual SNP they just showed an NHL scoreboard. 

You didn't miss much. 

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

With the puck he's decent, without the puck he's a nightmare. 

Zero intensity, timid, constantly losing puck battles, plays the perimeter, and weak defensively.

Um no??  Saw him skating hard for the puck, weren't you one of those who said we don't need ever player to be bo or sutts??  Is he a selki winner no, but he's far from disinterested in the battleing for the puck

1 hour ago, Banksy91 said:

"Sedin Sedin Vanek (meh.. it's what the coach likes)" Meh? They were the best line tonight and we would have lost without them and you go meh? So glad you are not the coach...

Notice that I still had them slotted as the number two line. They're okay for 15 minutes or less. Too slow for me, but I get that it's the Sedins final year. What more would you do with them?

One thing that I thought was very apparent is that Bo's speed and enterence through the neutral and into the o-zone has gotten very impressive. You can see how he uses his edges to create that speed and drive when he gets that drop pad or first pass from the d-man. I was very impressed by that last night and the first game. That and his improved shot is going to make him a real game breaker for us this season. Something that we haven't had in a number of years. With that being said the team needs to be much better.... with that being said the team needs much Boeser. 

My money is on burmy to come out of the line up in favour of boeser...if any changes at all

burmy is paid like a depth guy and has looked average out there in all categories

sedin-sedin-vanek

baer-horvat-eriksson

virtanen-gagner-boeser

granlund-sutter-dorsett

5 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

Um no??  Saw him skating hard for the puck, weren't you one of those who said we don't need ever player to be bo or sutts??

What does that have to do with anything, did i say he needs to be cut immediately??  With the puck he's good, without the puck he's bad.  That's why he gets 1/3 of his ice time on the PP.

5 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

Is he a selki winner no, but he's far from disinterested in the battleing for the puck

He floats more than Goldobin, and he's easily pushed around.  There's a reason why only Jake and Vanek have less EV TOI

Archived