The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Is There Enough Depth for a Galchenyuk Trade?

16 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Yup.  Coach sending a message about compete level.  That still doesn't mean Sutter solves their scoring woes. 

I was thinking something along the lines of Sutter and Goldbin with a possible plus going back either way (mid pick late pick between teams)

I am just curious what people would thinnk just because we're finally starting to stockpile that depth teams need to start considering trades like this.

As I said we're still a draft or two early but it's a fun discussion to have

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I was thinking something along the lines of Sutter and Goldbin with a possible plus going back either way (mid pick late pick between teams)

I am just curious what people would thinnk just because we're finally starting to stockpile that depth teams need to start considering trades like this.

Galchenyuk is one of their few remaining higher value trade chips.  Guys like Sutter are valuable but reasonably easy to obtain.  If they move him it will be a move to shore up there 1C or 2C position. Sutter is a good 3C but that's his ceiling 

Let me explain why Sutter isn't a fit in a different way.  Montreals biggest need is a legit 1C or 2C. They currently have Plekanec playing 2C. Ideally he should be their 3C at this point in his career.  His offence has dried up but he's still a very good 2 way guy. Picking up Sutter does nothing to correct this issue. It just adds to the problem.  If Galchenyuk is moved. They need a top end C who will address their scoring problems.  

43 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I don’t think Montreal would get much more than that for Galchenyuk. Max I’d offer is Baertschi, Sutter, and a pick. The pick we’d more than likely be able to recoup at the trade deadline and Galchenyuk, even right now is an easy upgrade on Baertschi. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I really like Chucky, and would love him on our team.  I think the GM in Hab land needs to win now, so he might prefer a more developed play.  I'm thinking Sutter and a prospect and a pick might look good.  Maybe, Sutter + Goldobin + our coming second?  We might have to take another contract along with Chucky to balance out.

Knowing how much some of the fans here love Russians, we should keep as many Russians as we could just to spice up conversations. So replace Goldobin with Lind and no more draft picks.

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Just a super quick discussion.

Galchenyuk is 0 for.  Zero.  Nadda.  Zilch.  Nothing.  He's currently the whipping boy of les Toilet Seats and their fans.

Bobby Macsays straight and true "now's not the time to trade him"

But his value is as low as it's ever been.  The lack of responsible 2 way forwards and scoring is killing the Habs.

Do we FINALLY have enough depth to get that trade done?

My thoughts are a good prospect and high pick.  Possibly a young roster player and pick/prospect.

I'm still thinking we're one solid drafts worth of depth before we can make this trade.  But I don't think we lose out much if we can obtain him while his value is so low

EDLER

Gally gets so much hate over there it's incredible. Edler straight up. The fans will roll out the red carpet for MB and he'll be able to keep his job until Christmas - at which time the fans will realize how wrong they were, and then roll up to MB's house en mass with poutine in one hand and an AR15 in the other. 

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

I really like Chucky, and would love him on our team.  I think the GM in Hab land needs to win now, so he might prefer a more developed play.  I'm thinking Sutter and a prospect and a pick might look good.  Maybe, Sutter + Goldobin + our coming second?  We might have to take another contract along with Chucky to balance out.

Are you the same guy that dislikes Ehlers and Nylander? But like Galchenyuk? Galchenyuk so bad defensively I think he even shoots on his own net sometimes.

It's not about "depth". Montreal absolutely needs a bonafide top-6 center who can drive offense. We only have one of those to offer, and we're not trading Horvat.

Galchenyuk (+ Juulsen?) for Duchene makes perfect sense. And I suspect that Montreal management is watching the Tavares situation closely as well.

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

It's not about "depth". Montreal absolutely needs a bonafide top-6 center who can drive offense. We only have one of those to offer, and we're not trading Horvat.

Galchenyuk (+ Juulsen?) for Duchene makes perfect sense. And I suspect that Montreal management is watching the Tavares situation closely as well.

Exactly.  Galchenyuk for multiple depth prices doesn't solve their issues.  It'll be Galchenyuk + for a legit top 2 C 

33 minutes ago, D-Money said:

26 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Exactly.  Galchenyuk for multiple depth prices doesn't solve their issues.  It'll be Galchenyuk + for a legit top 2 C 

Up until this year, this was the one deal I never really thought made sense but after both player's respective starts it's starting too.

Duchene gets out and Colorado gets a younger player with something to prove with the benefit of reuniting Galchenyuk and Yakupov.

I didn't think that Sakic would move on this but it's looking more viable now.

That being said, I have to ask since we're on this forum if there's a deal we could make or have made.

I wonder if Montreal could swing a deal with Vegas for. Shipachyov.  Montreal could solve Vegas's roster issues by taking a disgruntled potential 2C and take one of their extra D. That allows Vegas to finally bring up Theodore. Not sure what the return would have to be. Likely a 1st and a good prospect (depending on which D Montreal has to take) 

On 10/13/2017 at 5:27 PM, qwijibo said:

I wonder if Montreal could swing a deal with Vegas for. Shipachyov.  Montreal could solve Vegas's roster issues by taking a disgruntled potential 2C and take one of their extra D. That allows Vegas to finally bring up Theodore. Not sure what the return would have to be. Likely a 1st and a good prospect (depending on which D Montreal has to take) 

But is shipchayov their scoring answer?

If Goldobin and Sutter aren't enough...

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

But is shipchayov their scoring answer?

If Goldobin and Sutter aren't enough...

Shipachyov was a top 5 centre in the KHL last season.  He's in the minors because of poor player management in Vegas. He can step in and be a 2C right now.  Neither Sutter nor Goldobin can offer that. Also. In this deal Montreal would keep Galchenyuk 

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Shipachyov was a top 5 centre in the KHL last season.  He's in the minors because of poor player management in Vegas. He can step in and be a 2C right now.  Neither Sutter nor Goldobin can offer that. Also. In this deal Montreal would keep Galchenyuk 

uh....khl isnt nhl.  that's my point.  They could make that trade and find he's barely a fringe player long term.

Goldobin is sadly a more proven commodity here in the west.  The only point I was trying to make

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

uh....khl isnt nhl.  that's my point.  They could make that trade and find he's barely a fringe player long term.

Goldobin is sadly a more proven commodity here in the west.  The only point I was trying to make

It you have Montreal giving up Galchenyuk. I have them giving up a pick and prospect.  Also. Shipachoyev is a 30 vet. He's proven he's a professional player. Goldobin is yet to do that 

Archived