The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser and the Calder race.

Adarsh Sant

14 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

The homerism on here is so overwhelming! Here kool-aid for everyone!

Do you even know what homerism means? Why would it be that only homers would be okay with Boeser being sat for 2 games while he dips his toes into his rookie season?

You can continue dishing out that Kool-Aid now. 

Okay guys, remember when we are talking about easing in rookies and they can make mistakes that rookie coaches can also make make mistakes and sitting Brock the first two games looks like the wrong call, especially for a team that has a hard time putting the puck in the net. Doesn't mean that Green is going to be a bad coach, just disagree with the decision and not finding any reason to defend him like he's infallible. 

On 2017-10-17 at 8:45 PM, Adarsh Sant said:

So after sitting the first 2 games of the season, Brock Boeser has gotten 4 points (2G, 2A) in the next 3 games, while playing 16 minutes a game.

This years Calder trophy race for Rookie of the Year, is shaping up to be a close one. There are no Laine/Matthews type players in the rookie class, who are gonna run away with the rookie scoring lead (or so it seems). It is unreasonable to assume Will Butcher will continue his point pace. So 2 games may make the difference in leading the rookie class in goal/point scoring. 

My question: Do you think Boeser sitting the 2 games will have an impact on his overall Calder chances, and did Green make the right choice in sitting Boeser?

Discuss.

1231.PNG

It's not all about points.   Period.

2 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

The homerism on here is so overwhelming! Here kool-aid for everyone!

Homerism for talking about one of their best young players in his rookie year where he has more than a point per game?    

What would it take for you to get excited about a player?   Clearly you don't like this team and/or these players so why bother reading all the comments that annoy you?   Part of your early release program?

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Homerism for talking about one of their best young players in his rookie year where he has more than a point per game?    

What would it take for you to get excited about a player?   Clearly you don't like this team and/or these players so why bother reading all the comments that annoy you?   Part of your early release program?

Amen brother... +1

38 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

If you can't read all of the conversation, Don't reply to something you know nothing about! I never said anything about NOT liking Boeser, matter of fact this all started with Green not playing him in the first two games!!! Good God this site is unreal!

45 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It's not all about points.   Period.

LOL 

DId you even bother to do any research before posting this? 

Every single Calder winner in the last 15 years was #1 in points at their position (Either F or D).

The only exception?  Goalies.

You have to go back to 2002-2003 season to find a Calder winner who wasn't leading rookies in point scoring at their position.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:51 PM, Green Building said:

If Boeser performs well as a result of being rested occasionally, then yes, Green is making the right moves. Also, Nucks fans should be prepared for Boeser to sit more games this season as he gets his mind and body up to the day to day grind of the NHL. I want Green doing what's best for Boeser (and it looks like he is so far) rather than trying to get Boeser the Calder so early in the year.

So far so good. 

I think resting players by Green and giving younger guys experience in the nhl if only for a few games here and there to get used to the speed and playing with different lines to see who they play well with and where exactly their at in development is long overdue but when have we even had a farm to speak of before?  Anyway I can't see how that would hurt BEFORE injuries happen so they know what's expected of them when the phone rings... 

9 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Yeah canucks fans! For shame about being excited about prospects! FOR SHAAAAME!

Well..  it's ok to be cautiously excited but I'm that way because it all depends how this team is managed for the next 2 years that will turn this team around for good. I just wish Benning had gone after someone else with the pick and gone tough centerman who can score goals but have a tough attitude like Bert did...  a Todd Bert like player is what this team needs and hopefully we get one someday.

Ok and just this once and I know it's been beaten to do for but once...  just once split up the twins ffs!!!  lol

14 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Well..  it's ok to be cautiously excited but I'm that way because it all depends how this team is managed for the next 2 years that will turn this team around for good. I just wish Benning had gone after someone else with the pick and gone tough centerman who can score goals but have a tough attitude like Bert did...  a Todd Bert like player is what this team needs and hopefully we get one someday.

Ok and just this once and I know it's been beaten to do for but once...  just once split up the twins ffs!!!  lol

Boeser is shaping up to be a huge steal at his draft position. I'm not sure where this magical bertuzzi center is coming from in the 2015 draft. Boeser was a fantastic pick. 

49 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Boeser is shaping up to be a huge steal at his draft position. I'm not sure where this magical bertuzzi center is coming from in the 2015 draft. Boeser was a fantastic pick. 

He is dreaming of Bert lol...I doubt we will see any powerforward of that type and the closest thing to him right now is Drai. Bert used to push out 2 defensemen with one arm and clear way for Nas. 

1 hour ago, Butters Stoch said:

Sergachev just had a 2 goal game. Strong wave of rookies this year so Brocks gonna really have to work for it.

I wished JB had picked him instead of Joulevi but I can't blame him since Joulevi was the expected pick at that position and was ranked higher. 

34 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I can, Sergachev was always the guy i wanted

For some reason Joulevi was ranked higher than him. Still Joulevi can develop to be a great D-man, its still a waiting game for him but I think he can improve a lot. Maybe in 2 years Joulevi might become better than Sergachev, who knows because both are still young and need to develop. Its just that Sergachev is ahead of the curve and a safer pick to be a great D-man as of now.

2 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

For some reason Joulevi was ranked higher than him. Still Joulevi can develop to be a great D-man, its still a waiting game for him but I think he can improve a lot. Maybe in 2 years Joulevi might become better than Sergachev, who knows because both are still young and need to develop. Its just that Sergachev is ahead of the curve and a safer pick to be a great D-man as of now.

It was a real toss up. Plenty of analysts had Sergachev ahead. A few even had Chychrun as the top defenceman. 

I have to say I am really impressed with Brock so far.  I'm trying not to get too excited about this kid in case things turn south. But I am really starting to think he is the real deal. I can watch the Canucks lose all year if that happens if Brock continues to play like this and hopefully improves I will have a smile on my face at the end of every game. 

A definite bright spot in the Canucks future. Not only is he talented but by all accounts he is a really good person. So I just want to say Cheers to you Brock keep up the good work you are making us all proud.

23 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Did I say anywhere there it had anything to do with the 2015 pick?  no...  2017...  when I heard benning call the name at the draft.. I was in shock!  I was like who the F is that?  "oh great" not anywhere near that mould of a big tough center ...   was so mad! 

Archived