The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser and the Calder race.

Adarsh Sant

11 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

I don't think they were saying that Sergachev was ranked higher. He was considered a more Boom or Bust prospect than Juolevi. Higher offensive ceiling but worse in his own zone, which is why he was ranked slightly lower than Juolevi. 

As for Brock, it's really exciting watching him and awesome to see him potentially in the Calder race. I agree with others though that he will probably start to struggle with the schedule and a night off here and there might be good for him to help maintain this level play throughout the season. 

13 hours ago, coolboarder said:

This reasoning is why I advocated Brock getting some scheduled games off ahead of time even if he is contributing to the team.   I do not want to see him hitting a brick wall halfway in the season.  I would think that 60-65 games season should be a benchmark for any NCAA rookies in the NHL. 

If I were Green, I'm looking at schedule ahead of time with planned games rest.  He already sat two games because he hit a brick wall after preseason games.  So there's 15-20 games to choose from ahead of time.  If it were up to me, I'd have him to sit at least two November games, games against Calgary, and against Nashville on their 6th games on the road.  As for December games, no back to back games but I'd schedule a game off against San Jose on the road on Dec 21 and maybe against Winnipeg on December 11.   He would miss about 6 games in 2017 so we'd have about 10-14 games to choose from in 2018.  January schedule is relatively light so he might miss no games but concern about him potentially selected for All-Star weekend.   February, I see about 3 games off as it's more heavier schedule in that month.  As for March, maybe 3-4 games off with one home game off every other day late in the month.   As for April and potential playoff games, I would not give him any day off.  Should Canucks advance from game 7 to game 1 of next series with no extra day off, I might give him one game off in next series.  

That's how you manage any rookies in the league, no matter how good he is, you acknowledge that he might need some rest and increase his workload for his sophomore season.   There is a reason why there is a sophomore slump is because of the sudden increase of workload from his lower level of hockey to top level of hockey in this case, NHL.  Your body is not used to grind of highest level of play after first year and there's the reason why most of players who entered in their 2nd year in a slump as they have yet to overcome a fatigue despite a summer off.   By the training camp, his energy level might slumped and would stay like that for a whole season because of low energy level as they pace themselves through the season before seeing a better result in his 3rd season and onward.   That is a normal reaction for every players in the league so nobody ever tried a scheduled games off in their rookies season except for Virtenan and McCann in their rookie season and look at the result today because of injury ridden team late in the season, they were forced to play more than the management wanted to do that. 

I think if he needs the games off they will give them to him, everyone is different when it comes to conditioning at any age, he's an elite athlete so who knows what sort of time he's put in the gym to prepare for the grueling NHL schedule.

Last year I read an article on Werenski, and how the first twenty or so games were on pure adrenaline, then it hit him hard, he was tired a lot.  Of course his coach Torts didn't care and kept playing him twenty plus minutes in all situations as a rookie

..he responded by pushing through it and came out the other end fine, with his energy back and ok to go the next game right into the playoffs.

Of course he's only one example and is younger than Boeser, I hope he can keep it up without any second half brick walls, and if he does hit one if Green keeps him in he responds like Werenski ( basically getting his conditioning in game by developing it as he went) or just sits him out back to back games or something.  I agree that coaching and management should take the NCAA guys small schedule into consideration, same with most European ones too (around 48 games is normal for a lot of leagues) same with the fact these guys already play against men.

17 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Why did you list draft position?

We were discussing which of those two D had more star potential.

Oli was the safer pick, nobody would argue that, on the Russian factor alone, but the Russian likely had/has a higher ceiling.

On 10/27/2017 at 8:31 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hurts to know we could have had Sergachev and Keller and Boeser

Cool story.

Where did you get that second top 7 pick in the 2016 draft?

Reality.  They could have had Juolevi - or Keller - or Sergachev - or Tkachuk.

Realitically - a month ago you would have been "what if"ing Tkachuk - today you've got Sergachev and Keller as the "what ifs" - based on what they've done though the first month of this season.

Why not toss Jesper Bratt into the mix?

In other words - it's the what have you done lately of prospect development - and changes as other players enter the NHL readiness stage.

A year from now it could be Fabbro, or Borgstrom, or Thompson, or.....

Premature hindsighting.

On 10/27/2017 at 6:55 AM, IBatch said:

Its starting to look like this could be between Boeser and Keller more than anyone else, with McAvoy and Kempe running second tier.   Butcher has slowed down and isn't playing top minutes like his Bruin counterpart but is also in early conversation.  

Absolutely stoked about this, mostly because it shows Benning can dig gold out of the latter part of the first round, and if we end up making the playoffs we will need him to keep it up....

Well, I am pretty sure Boeser was projected to go earlier but fell and Benning took him. We got lucky that he fell for some reason.

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I've learned to temper expectations, especially when it comes to the Canucks.

Last I counted, there were about 43 players in the NHL scoring at a PPG pace. Read into that a bit...

True, but how many of those 43 are OUR GOLDEN BOY...BROCK BOESER?  :wub:

4 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I've learned to temper expectations, especially when it comes to the Canucks.

....yet ironically, on the other hand, you've already ordainded the Leafs 'the next Blackhawks'....

(after one 8th place finish, a single pt ahead of Tampa and the NYI - and a first round exit.)

On 10/18/2017 at 8:22 AM, Rocksterh8 said:

Brock just proved how stupid Green's decision was, there was no reason to sit him at all, none!

Quite the opposite.   Letting him see those two games probably launched him far better than any amount of practice/video would have and removed him from excessive scrutiny.   It was a calculated coaching move that seems to have paid off nicely.   

Two games may well become six or eight games watching by the end of the year - all good if the player is learning from that process and from what Boeser showed once back in the line up shows he learned a lot.

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Quite the opposite.   Letting him see those two games probably launched him far better than any amount of practice/video would have and removed him from excessive scrutiny.   It was a calculated coaching move that seems to have paid off nicely.   

Two games may well become six or eight games watching by the end of the year - all good if the player is learning from that process and from what Boeser showed once back in the line up shows he learned a lot.

you have no proof what so ever those games made him better, it's all pure guessing on your part.  You're argument is laughable. 

2 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

you have no proof what so ever those games made him better, it's all pure guessing on your part.  You're argument is laughable. 

Versus your "proof" it made him better making your "argument" all the much better.   

At-Least-You-Tried-Funny-Polar-Bear-Meme

• Adarsh Sant changed the title to Brock Boeser sitting first 2 games, and the Calder race. (Updated as of Nov 4th)

Archived