The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser and the Calder race.

Adarsh Sant

7 minutes ago, Jetliner said:

guys dont get too excited too soon. he kinda reminds me of david booth. Booth had a 30 goal season. he is a one dimensional player who drives to the net and tries to score. if he scores great, but if he doesnt hes pretty much useless. lets hope im wrong

....next time you watch a game...try squinting and looking out of the corner of your eyes....

....you might notice Brock stealing pucks or hustling back on D. before anybody else or passing for quality chances....the only thing Booth had that was close is the speed and speed of shot, but his aim was awful and his defence worse...no comparison...really at all.

8 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

I disagree totally, saying he looked slightly jaded is purely subjective on your part, means nothing.

Just because Green says Brock needed a rest makes it so? again purely subjective. No way to prove he wouldn't have been been great if he played.

The issue is Green making calls for no reason except in his mind.

Yes it does. He's the frigging coach with medical staff and trainers at his disposal. You have a TV and a lack of logic.

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

Again, in order to make this point, you need to back it up.

Of the top level NCAA players that made their transition, most make a direct transition into the NHL. Maybe it's a Brock thing but it's definitely not an NCAA thing.

Parayko, Toews, Parise, Eichel, Stastny, Keith, Heatley, Hayes, Read, the list goes on.

Paryako did not play an 82 game season in his first, or any year yet. 

Toews did not play an 82 game season in his first year. Not even close. 

Parise did not play an 82 game season in his first year (and was pretty bad)

Eichel did not play an 82 game season in his first year, and was injured in year two quite badly.

Paul (probably?) Stasny did! play 82 games in his first year. Woo! Found one. Oh, but he was injured in his second year. Pretty badly.

Duncan Keith did not play 82 games in his first year.

Dany Heatley killed somebody. But yes, he did play 82 in his first year. And then got injured. And then got injured worse. And killed somebody. **** Heatley.

Jimmy Hayes? Lol. Took him 3 years to hit 82 games.

And finally, Matt Read did not play 82 games in his first year.

So Boeser taking a game off here or there is in line with a lot of very good players.

4 minutes ago, brownky said:

Eichel did not play an 82 game season in his first year, and was injured in year two quite badly.

Paul (probably?) Stasny did! play 82 games in his first year. Woo! Found one. Oh, but he was injured in his second year. Pretty badly.

Dany Heatley killed somebody. But yes, he did play 82 in his first year. And then got injured. And then got injured worse. And killed somebody. **** Heatley.

So Boeser taking a game off here or there is in line with a lot of very good players.

Correct me please, but did any of those guys you mention win the Calder?  (Excluding the killer)

2 hours ago, coolboarder said:

It is not necessarily babied him up.  It's more of realistic reaction to how your body would react to a sudden change to the level of play and length of the season.   Athletes needs just a day off between any involvement in sports to fully recover from any rigour exercise.  That is a science fact especially on workouts.  The NHL schedule includes a back to back games which would cause some stress to the body on every athlete.  It does not matter who you are, you are only a human and you need some rest.  A 35 college games is different compared to 82 games schedule and a strong body will break down eventually if you keep on playing every games.  You do not want to pull a groin when your body tells you to rest but you can't because your coach wants you to play hard every night.  Your team will lose games eventually and makes no difference on whether you play or not.   A healthy bodies with enough rest will go a long way especially in the playoffs.  

Troy stetcher says wassup!

9 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

I disagree totally, saying he looked slightly jaded is purely subjective on your part, means nothing.

Just because Green says Brock needed a rest makes it so? again purely subjective. No way to prove he wouldn't have been been great if he played.

The issue is Green making calls for no reason except in his mind.

When the media asked Brock about being scratched, Brock himself said how grueling training camp was, and I'm pretty sure he even said something about the two games off being good for getting his legs back. FWIW. 

14 minutes ago, brownky said:

Are you seriously saying that they need to play the full 82 games? As in they can't miss any games?

Parayko played 79 games. Keith played 81 games. Kevin Hayes, not Jimmy Hayes, played 79 games. Eichel played 81 games. Read played 79 games. Parise played 81 games. And as you said, Stastny and Heatley both played 82 games.

If 82 games is the benchmark, then this applies to every single junior league, not just the NCAA. Few players, from any league, play the full 82 game season in their rookie season. This narrative you're trying to construct is wrong in every way.

I think reasonable expectations are that if he finishes the year with 20 goals and 20 assists. Anything more than that is him over-achieving. Anything just below is still quite a success. 

19 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

The team won the 1st game and got a point in the 2nd. Green isn't interested in the Calder trophy as nice as that would be for Boeser, 

Exactly.  Team got 3 points out of 4 and was a bounce away from 4 out of 4.  With Brock in the lineup results fell off.  Not his fault, but Green is looking at winning games, not Calder issues.  And if the Canucks don't get into the playoffs, probably no sniff at the Calder. 

But I do want my jersey from Apricot so go Brock!

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

When the media asked Brock about being scratched, Brock himself said how grueling training camp was, and I'm pretty sure he even said something about the two games off being good for getting his legs back. FWIW. 

FWIW I know what he said, and whats he supposed to say? "yeah I wanted to play but Green didn't put me in"  that would go over well.

8 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

FWIW I know what he said, and whats he supposed to say? "yeah I wanted to play but Green didn't put me in"  that would go over well.

So the coach says he was tired and Brock says he was tired. And you are assuming that they were both lying. Wow. I think you may be projecting.

16 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

So the coach says he was tired and Brock says he was tired. And you are assuming that they were both lying. Wow. I think you may be projecting.

Don't put words in my mouth, I never said anyone was lying! I said Brock is NOT going to diss his coach. nothing to do with lying

22 hours ago, guntrix said:

I'd understand that angle if we were 50 games in, not 5 games in.

Everyone makes mistakes. It's quite possible Green made a mistake in sitting him to start the season.

It's also quite possible you have no idea what you are talking about ;)   Likely a lot more probable

I don't think sitting out any games will have any negative impact on award voting. The votes will be based on his performance, and value to the team. Obviously, if he keeps up the pace, he would basically be our MVP, as a rookie. I think it would be hard to say that about any of the other candidates besides Will Butcher. Devils have a lot of young guys performing well, meanwhile, the Canucks have Boeser as the rookie.

23 hours ago, Green Building said:

If Boeser performs well as a result of being rested occasionally, then yes, Green is making the right moves. Also, Nucks fans should be prepared for Boeser to sit more games this season as he gets his mind and body up to the day to day grind of the NHL. I want Green doing what's best for Boeser (and it looks like he is so far) rather than trying to get Boeser the Calder so early in the year.

So far so good. 

Players want to play...Boeser can handle it. He is young and strong

The past few years, it has looked like the Sedins are the ones that can't handle the grind. They are old and slow.

1 hour ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Don't put words in my mouth, I never said anyone was lying! I said Brock is NOT going to diss his coach. nothing to do with lying

No he's not going to diss Green but plenty of players say stuff like,

"It's the coaches' decision. I feel great and I'm ready to go whenever."  

Which I wouldn't consider a diss but it's a long way from admitting to being run down.  

He also looked run down in that last preseason game.  

Brock winning the Calder would be nice but it's by no means the goal for the season.  Team success and his development always come ahead of individual awards.  He doesn't need the distraction anyways even if I understand why the fanbase could use one.

Archived