The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser and the Calder race.

Adarsh Sant

6 hours ago, guntrix said:

Again, in order to make this point, you need to back it up.

Of the top level NCAA players that made their transition, most make a direct transition into the NHL. Maybe it's a Brock thing but it's definitely not an NCAA thing.

Parayko, Toews, Parise, Eichel, Stastny, Keith, Heatley, Hayes, Read, the list goes on.

The point is your conditioning has to be better. Yes I agree with College hockey players being a bit more prepared to make the NHL. However, it is not out of the question that his conditioning wasn't/isn't where it needs to be yet. If I am right and this is the problem, then Yeah, he is gonna miss some games until he is ready to handle the rigors of an 82 game season. It ain't like Green was picking on him. This is his first shot at a full NHL season. Don't kid yourself. It ain't easy. Just playing in the NHL isn't easy. Let alone being prepared to handle the whole damn season.

23 hours ago, Butters Stoch said:

I'm starting to get scared of how good he is and how quickly it's happening. What if he goes Draisaitl on us and demands 8mil+??  Still not used to this feeling of having such an exciting young player. 

We've got 14 million coming off the books next year.  We can handle it.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Correct me please, but did any of those guys you mention win the Calder?  (Excluding the killer)

No, I was just dealing with the post which I replied to. I'd already addressed the "Calder Winners" thing in a previous post.

4 hours ago, amplified0ne said:

Taveras, too bad he's 27 as by the time we are any good he'll be in his 30s so probably wouldn't even consider us.

lol no star players in their prime will choose Vancouver as a destination anyways like when was the last time we signed a star free agent in their prime? i don't ever recall in the last 20+ years.. all the so call big name free agent we have ever gotten are usually at the beginning of their decline lol.

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol no star players in their prime will choose Vancouver as a destination anyways like when was the last time we signed a star free agent in their prime? i don't ever recall in the last 20+ years.. all the so call big name free agent we have ever gotten are usually at the beginning of their decline lol.

Out of curiosity, which star UFAs in their prime signed with other teams in the last 20 years? Seems to me that they usually resign with their own team.

12 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Don't put words in my mouth, I never said anyone was lying! I said Brock is NOT going to diss his coach. nothing to do with lying

Yeah, Jake said he was happy with Willie as well. Rookies are not going to rock the boat. The idea that he didn't want to be out there on opening night is laughable. Of course he wanted in. . 

On 18/10/2017 at 0:38 AM, Butters Stoch said:

I'm starting to get scared of how good he is and how quickly it's happening. What if he goes Draisaitl on us and demands 8mil+??  Still not used to t

his feeling of having such an exciting young player. 

That would be the best thing to happen to the club since Kesler turned into a two way monster.   I'd be happy if he just matches up to the hype this year, which is around fifty points and Calder consideration.

34 minutes ago, NucksCelts said:

I’d love the Calder to be served to a Van player more than anything but that is not managements priority. If he’s going to win it, he’ll have to earn it. This chatter is about 60 games premature. 

Yes and no.  NHL.com has covered this since the summer maybe picking up on chatted about it since last Spring when he was called up and THN started writing about Boeser being a Calder candidate then and continuing the theme throughout the summer in their mags.  Others on HNIC also talk about him as a possible winner, basically he's made them believers.  How Green plays him and how he plays himself will no doubt be the deciding factor, and given there is no Mathews, Mcdavid/Eichel caliber guys this year it's a blue ocean year for the trophy.  Man it would be awesome, then we can rub it against TO, 2-1 all-time.

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Out of curiosity, which star UFAs in their prime signed with other teams in the last 20 years? Seems to me that they usually resign with their own team.

Pronger and Neidermeyer come to mind culminating in a Cup in ANA.  But nothing recent no doubt...

12 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

The point is your conditioning has to be better. Yes I agree with College hockey players being a bit more prepared to make the NHL. However, it is not out of the question that his conditioning wasn't/isn't where it needs to be yet. If I am right and this is the problem, then Yeah, he is gonna miss some games until he is ready to handle the rigors of an 82 game season. It ain't like Green was picking on him. This is his first shot at a full NHL season. Don't kid yourself. It ain't easy. Just playing in the NHL isn't easy. Let alone being prepared to handle the whole damn season.

You are correct in thinking that NCAA guys take a little longer to get used to the NHL schedule.   Flying to different cities after and before games takes some getting used to and skill in getting proper rest, as does almost twice the games.  The upside is they are used to playing against young men, not boys as in junior.  Its not uncommon that they start well and fade as the season gets into the back nine, and I'm sure we will see some of that this year.  It happens all the time, even Calder guys Laine and Werenski lamented about the schedule last Spring and went through some long droughts then, particularly Werenski.

With Werenski he said he was running on adrenaline a lot the first twenty or so games and then it hit him like a Mack truck, his energy dropped and he had to grind it out with a coach that has little history in backing off the guys that are pushing the teams engine ( and he's a big reason they went on tear because he was used to playing a lot of games and recovered).

It will be interesting to see how Boeser and Butcher do once the schedule gets half way and how their coaches play them if conditioning becomes an issue.

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Technically UFA is typically age 27 - maybe a year or two earlier dependent on when a player became a NHL regular.  But most of the time the final contract covers at least a year or two of UFA years so a player might only be UFA at 28 or later.  Some exceptions like Kane who will be UFA before 27.

Parise and Suter.    

It's not like college players only get on the ice for 1 or 2 games per week and spend the rest of time in class or their dorms.  Someone posted a quote from Hutton, who said his training was non-stop and it was no picnic.  ALL players coming into the NHL whether from junior, Europe, or the NCAA will discover the grind; it's not exclusive to college kids simply because they play less games overall.

The narrative seems to suggest that Boeser was tired out after just playing a handful of games so therefore he can't play more than 3 or 4 without being sat out to recover.  If the coaching staff determines he needs a game off he'll be given it, but it's not like he's underdeveloped or out of shape -- he's a pro athlete with pro game.

On 17/10/2017 at 9:02 PM, Laheys Liquor said:

Who's to say Brock would be over a point a game right now if he had played those first 2 games? 

Maybe management made the right call to give him some rest.

Whatever the case I'm just happy to watch this kid develop. Haven't been this excited for games in maybe a couple of years

Yeh since horvat was starting his nhl career 

Archived