The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chemistry and Splitting the Sedins

JamesB

Splitting the Sedins  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Just heard one of the Twins (Henrik?) on 1040.  He said it’s hard to get into a rhythm, with so little icetime.  He felt he and his brother were playing well, yet got fewer minutes.  Uh oh? 

They can't have it both ways - want youth to step up and take over but yet not accept lesser roles at 37. 

Splitting them up can’t make things any worse both 5on5 and pp

its worth a try it might make them more effective since some of the speed deficiency   can be hidden with two faster forwards. 

They are both smart and competative players Im suprised with all the coaches we’ve seen none have tried for an extended time to use them apart.

They need to figure something out this club is 28th in scoring and the opposition just keys in on the Horvat line and that’s about it. 

D.sedin Horvat boesser 

bear hank virt/grandlund

eriksson gags vanek

dorset sutter gaunce/virt/brum

at this point there really is only one way to go. It the wise words of chief Wiggum “dig up stupid.”

Henrik won his Art Ross when Daniel was out for a lengthy period of time.  It finally forced him to reinvent his game..... he scored 29 goals that season.  They were also willing to just pass to their linemate to just shoot the puck (Samuelsson and Burrows).

True, they're not young anymore, but splitting will force them to change.  Yes, they've been successful together, but they excelled when going out of their comfort zone.  

No more.... "I gotta pass it to Daniel!" or "Henrik!  Gotta give him the puck!", "Rinse and Repeat" routine.

They are veterans, they already get prime PP time and O-zone starts.  They don't need additional special treatment unless its warranted.  They need to just tell Virtanen to get open to shoot or to hang around the net for tip ins and rebounds.... thus the Sedins needs to start shooting.

On 11/2/2017 at 5:51 AM, Rocksterh8 said:

So tired of this "splitting up the Sedin's" BS, They play better together! They are getting older and their skill is diminishing!  Thats all. Now leave it alone!

You can also play a good old record over & over & it always sounds great until it gets that scratch in it. Then it becomes the same old noise over & over again. That's when it's time to play another record.  

Nothing to lose cause they're here until the end of the season. Never know maybe it would actually work? Played some of their best hockey in their prime without each other. 

I really think this would be a much better balanced lines. 

D.Sedin  Horvat  Boeser

Baer   H.Sedin  Granlund

Vanek  Gagne  Virtanen

Dorsett  Sutter  Eriksson

Gaunce  Burmistrov

10 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

They can't have it both ways - want youth to step up and take over but yet not accept lesser roles at 37. 

I have said this already. We will not get a rational view of the Twins play from the Twins themselves because they love to play the game so much. They make the right sound bites for the media but at the end of the day they, like many ageing athletes, still have a rosy picture of their own effectiveness and ability.

On 11/4/2017 at 11:19 PM, Canadian Clay said:

Some one posted this line-up in pre season and I’d like to see it given a try, even tho it’s very unlikely:

D Sedin - horvat - H Sedin

Grandlund - Sutter - Dorset

Baer - Burm - Boeser

Vanek - Gagner - Virtanen

ony risk with this is the Sedins would probably be playing 17ish minutes per night. 

Please! Don't punish Bo for being successful.

On 11/5/2017 at 4:58 PM, EdgarM said:

They should be setting up Virt because he is the "Shooter". Instead they insist on passing it back and forth to each other until they lose possession. Its like Virt digs it out of the corners for them, dishes it to them, and then they lose possession. He could be their "bread and butter" for them just like their line mates in the past have done but they cannot let go of the "pass it to my brother" mentality.

That mentality is more evident now because they can't get clear of the defense, hence they pile up more and more passes to one another - I don't know why this is so hard to see, it is obvious.

Meanwhile Jake moves about taking up position after position waiting on the pass, only to find himself instead pursuing the puck after one of the Twins has coughed it up.

13 hours ago, xereau said:

Dank - Horvat - Boeser

Please give this a go for a few games.  Dank is the best passing winger on the team.  And for two guys that shoot first, they could not really ask for more.

This seems idiotic to me. Bo's best asset is breakout speed, he is going to be left fighting to hold onto the puck waiting on the Twins to catch up. That is only going to wreck Bo's progress.

How many wrong moves will this Club make in order to keep two ageing players, who should have retired 2 years ago, relevant in this team.

This has now got nothing to do with line mates, it is solely down to their diminishing performance. Split them up by all means as a last measure but really, why transport their lack of speed to two line when we are trying to get faster? ENOUGH ALREADY!

Imo if the Sedins are allowed to come back here next year Linden should be fired. He is the man given control at the helm of this Club and the Sedin situation is approaching Luongo proportions in ineptitude. He has to say "Sorry guys, thanks for your outstanding service but the Club has to move on, bow out "at the top" or find another club."

These three are far too close to make rational, effective decisions about this potential mess.

I predict now that if the Sedins are not retired efficaciously, this whole situation will eventually take on a much darker mood. We have already seen some disrespectful posts on the Twins and we are just 17 games into the season.

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

This seems idiotic to me. Bo's best asset is breakout speed, he is going to be left fighting to hold onto the puck waiting on the Twins to catch up. That is only going to wreck Bo's progress.

How many wrong moves will this Club make in order to keep two ageing players, who should have retired 2 years ago, relevant in this team.

This has now got nothing to do with line mates, it is solely down to their diminishing performance. Split them up by all means as a last measure but really, why transport their lack of speed to two line when we are trying to get faster? ENOUGH ALREADY!

Imo if the Sedins are allowed to come back here next year Linden should be fired. He is the man given control at the helm of this Club and the Sedin situation is approaching Luongo proportions in ineptitude. He has to say "Sorry guys, thanks for your outstanding service but the Club has to move on, bow out "at the top" or find another club."

These three are far too close to make rational, effective decisions about this potential mess.

I predict now that if the Sedins are not retired efficaciously, this whole situation will eventually take on a much darker mood. We have already seen some disrespectful posts on the Twins and we are just 17 games into the season.

The only real time Bo's speed while centering Daniel, and possibly leaving him behind, is on the entry into the zone.  He could just as easily use this speed to get the puck in deep and then onto Daniel's stick entering the slot late.  Bo needs to learn what sustained pressure and cycling is.  His bulldog rush down the wing is only going to take him so far.  Daniel is a superior puck distributor in comparison to the soft as butter perimeter slacker Baertschi.  Want some dark mood?  There it is.  Baertschi is a 3rd rate 2nd line winger.  And another thing, I have been hard on the Sedins, as hard as anyone on these boards.  I am sick to death of them.  But they are on the team.  And they have to play. Splitting them, and especially putting the best passing winger in the team's history with the two best scoring forwards currently on the team is far from "idiotic".  Nice tact, though.

Canucks have got to do something to make use of them and together they basically couldn't be much more less effective at this point.

The reasons why I think it'd be better to seperate the Sedins is:

1. The fact both Sedins cannot shoot the puck with any velocity what's so ever.

2. Defensively they're so easy to play against and so soft they've become a liability.

3. The simple fact it's definitely broken and stale needing something new.

4. The Sedins may have the ability and vision to feed linemmates in prime time shooting areas.

This idea might be out there a bit but I'd try 1 with Boeser and Horvat and I'd put the other Sedin with 2 of Baertchi, Sutter or Vanek or Granlund but I feel like Granlund is really off right now and possibly labouring from injury.

If this didn't work I'd take the Sedins off the PP all together and then go with a 1st unit of Bo, Baer and Boeser and the 2nd unit would be Sutter, Vanek and Virtanen or Granlund.

To me the a painfully obvious problem with the PP just may be the very disappointing job the defensemen are doing once set up in the attacking zone. This is another long shot but I'd try Edler, Pouliot, Gudbranson Virtanen and Vanek out on the point.

I feel like besides the obvious problem of shots missing the net and getting blocked at nauseum there's not enough velocity to beat today's goalie when a lane does open up and because there's no velocity shot blockers have no fear which definitely is a big thing also.  

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Well said, alfstonker.

Any possible thought of the Sedins coming back next season should be eradicated. They are years removed from being the impact players that they were in 2011. Years.

I don't see what it is that the Canucks owe the Sedins. Are they not paid their salaries? Contractually they are given what they signed up for. There is no reason to bring back two players who are way past their prime, outside of misplaced nostalgia. The roster spots they have should be given to other players next year, who can effectively make an impact at the NHL level.

The Canucks owe them the same level and debt of gratitude that is/was owed to Burrows, Bieksa, Hamhuis, and Hansen. Nothing more.

Their veteran presence has served it's purpose. The younger players have learned enough from them now to effectively take the reins and move this team forward. If Benning and Linden are serious about turning things around and moving the team back into form for contention, they need to move on from the Sedins and choose not to re-sign them. Re-signing them is a mistake that can't be made.

1 hour ago, xereau said:

The only real time Bo's speed while centering Daniel, and possibly leaving him behind, is on the entry into the zone.  He could just as easily use this speed to get the puck in deep and then onto Daniel's stick entering the slot late.  Bo needs to learn what sustained pressure and cycling is.  His bulldog rush down the wing is only going to take him so far.  Daniel is a superior puck distributor in comparison to the soft as butter perimeter slacker Baertschi.  Want some dark mood?  There it is.  Baertschi is a 3rd rate 2nd line winger.  And another thing, I have been hard on the Sedins, as hard as anyone on these boards.  I am sick to death of them.  But they are on the team.  And they have to play. Splitting them, and especially putting the best passing winger in the team's history with the two best scoring forwards currently on the team is far from "idiotic".  Nice tact, though.

That is another opinion, fine.

I think you underestimate Baertschi though.

46 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well said Alfstonker

And well said PhillipBlunt.

There's still lots of sentimentality that pervades peoples view re: the Sedins. Personally, i would have preferred to see them retire last year. They're quite literally, old men playing a young man's game. If Lind-enning res-signs them for another season, l be all for their firing. Time (past time) to move forward already. 

17 minutes ago, Tough Nuck said:

And well said PhillipBlunt.

There's still lots of sentimentality that pervades peoples view re: the Sedins. Personally, i would have preferred to see them retire last year. They're quite literally, old men playing a young man's game. If Lind-enning res-signs them for another season, l be all for their firing. Time (past time) to move forward already. 

and well said, Tough Nuck. The only reason to re-sign them would be one of sentimentality, not reality.

They can't keep up with the speed or physicality of the NHL now, and are becoming liabilities. If the Sedins and the Canucks organization wants to preserve the legacy, this needs to be their final year.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

and well said, Tough Nuck. The only reason to re-sign them would be one of sentimentality, not reality.

They can't keep up with the speed or physicality of the NHL now, and are becoming liabilities. If the Sedins and the Canucks organization wants to preserve the legacy, this needs to be their final year.

The whole point of this thread is not about re-signing the Sedins.  Its about splitting them.  This year.  The year they are getting paid SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS EACH!  They are terrible together, and avoiding this fact and looking alllll the way to next season is in fact the height of sentimentality.  Something has to be done about them.  Now.

I believe Pettersson coming in when he does. With the young skill currently here and on their way.  He is going to make such a big difference to our hockey club.  Boeser can only do so much on his own.  Having Pettersson join this club he could really create some space and provide opportunities to guys like Boeser, Gagner, Virtanen Vanek etc.  I think what Gagner is missing is true legit passers.  The Sedin's are 2 stagnant together and gagner needs someone who can get him pucks in the sweet spots.  He isn't a player that drives play and he needs a unit on the pp that can use his skillset to his advantage.  You place him in the right spot with the right teammates and he will produce.  

Sitting on the half wall with the twins passing back and forth to each other doesnt do much.

1 hour ago, xereau said:

The whole point of this thread is not about re-signing the Sedins.  Its about splitting them.  This year.  The year they are getting paid SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS EACH!  They are terrible together, and avoiding this fact and looking alllll the way to next season is in fact the height of sentimentality.  Something has to be done about them.  Now.

Green will probably split them up piecemeal, a little here, a little there.

3 hours ago, Tough Nuck said:

If Lind-enning res-signs them for another season, l be all for their firing. Time (past time) to move forward already. 

Linden has already tied his hands and committed to re-signing them with his quote's of they will play here as long as they want and it is up to them.

They almost have to re-sign them anyway there is no one to take up that much ice time and they still have a rep that they could get into a groove for a critical game or two.,

Archived