The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

1 minute ago, TU90 said:

If those players were underperforming in their contract years, then yes.

What did Bo do in the off week? That's a leader.

Guddy? The guy has been a massive disappointment to the Canucks and to his agent.

What do you really know about what Horvat and Gudbranson do in their day?    I find this line of thinking and discussion relatively pointless and ungrounded.

You can speak for yourself, but you have no idea what Gudbranson's agent thinks (or what the Canucks think).  Gudbranson doesn't answer to his agent in any event - his agent makes a living because players like Gudbranson contract them.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

guntrix now expects Gudbranson to solve everything.   sorry, but do you have a point?

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Guessing that means it is or will be evident how much easier this team is to play against without Gudbranson in the lineup?

I think that was the case last night in Edmonton.  Their forward group has some heaviness to it - Draisaitl, Lucic, Kassian, Maroon, Khaira - even Puljujarvi, Pakarinen are over 210.

Gudbranson makes a huge difference against teams like that - and you could see last night the difficulty the team had handling them.  It leaves an awful lot on Alex Edler (and Del Zotto).

I thought the team was ok for the most part last night, at least after a weak first period - but Gudbranson's absence imo is clear (as was the absence of Dorsett and Horvat) - three of the team's most difficult guys to play against.

It's a primitive take to say that Gudbranson's inclusion would've changed anything yesterday. Physicality wasn't the key factor- if you think it was then you either didn't watch the game or want to spin the loss in Gudbranson's favour. 

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

What do you really know about what Horvat and Gudbranson do in their day?    I find this line of thinking and discussion relatively pointless and ungrounded.

You can speak for yourself, but you have no idea what Gudbranson's agent thinks (or what the Canucks think).  Gudbranson doesn't answer to his agent in any event - his agent makes a living because players like Gudbranson contract them.

Bo stayed in Vancouver and worked hard during the break so he could get back and help the team.

Why are you defending Guddy so hard? You don't agree he has been an overwhelming disappointment?

Just now, oldnews said:

says a frog. 

no wonder you don't understand the impact that a half dozen 210+ lb forwards had.

When Maroon is out-skating your defense to the puck, you know there are bigger problems. But this is coming from the guy who 'recaps' Gudbranson's good games only.

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

It's a primitive take to say that Gudbranson's inclusion would've changed anything yesterday. Physicality wasn't the key factor- if you think it was then you either didn't watch the game or want to spin the loss in Gudbranson's favour. 

Yeah, because guys like Stecher, Pouliot and MDZ all help the team perform so much better offensively when they're hemmed in their own end shouldering the entire physicality load thrown at them.

Derp. 

Just now, TU90 said:

Why are you defending Guddy so hard? You don't agree he has been an overwhelming disappointment?

I'm  not defending Gudbranson so much as I am pointing out that you don't know what caused his back spasms, you don't know what he does day in day out or how hard he works, etc.

You're passing the judgement - I don't see what you base it on.

No, I don't think he's been an 'overwhelming disappointment'  - at all.  I'd re-sign him in a heartbeat if the terms are reasonable.

The only disappointment is the injuries - something I don't hold against players that put their health on the line every night battling NHL powerforwards and dropping the gloves with heavyweights.  I don't hold that against him for a moment - it's the reality of the risks of being an NHL player.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, because guys like Stecher, Pouliot and MDZ all help the team perform so much better offensively when they're hemmed in their own end shouldering the entire physicality load thrown at them.

Derp. 

Yeah, when Pouliot is whiffing on tape-to-tape passes and then backs off at the first sight of McDavid, it's because of physicality. 

When Virtanen, one of our supposed physical players, has a nightmare of a game, it's because of physicality.

When MDZ misses yet another outlet pass and forces his line to stay on, it's because of physicality. 

When your team is so devoid of offensive production that the Coilers just have to focus on shutting Boeser down, it's because of physicality.  

Stetcher played well but one man doesn't make a team.

There are other games where the physicality angle can be used. Yesterday was not one of those games. To say so just shows your homer light.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

When macaroons are made with dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate, let me know.

Will do.

4 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Yeah, when Pouliot is whiffing on tape-to-tape passes and then backs off at the first sight of McDavid, it's because of physicality. 

When Virtanen, one of our supposed physical players, has a nightmare of a game, it's because of physicality.

When MDZ misses yet another outlet pass and forces his line to stay on, it's because of physicality. 

When your team is so devoid of offensive production that the Coilers just have to focus on shutting Boeser down, it's because of physicality.  

Stetcher played well but one man doesn't make a team.

There are other games where the physicality angle can be used. Yesterday was not one of those games. To say so just shows your homer light.

Will do.

I wonder why those guys were 'off'...hmmm

It's actually kind of funny how blind to it you are :lol:

Stecher played well?!? His poor plays directly led to at least 2 GA...lol 

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm  not defending Gudbranson so much as I am pointing out that you don't know what caused his back spasms, you don't know what he does day in day out or how hard he works, etc.

No, I don't think he's been an 'overwhelming disappointment'  - at all.  I'd re-sign him in a heartbeat if the terms are reasonable.

The only disappointment is the injuries - something I don't hold against players that put their health on the line every night battling NHL powerforwards and dropping the gloves with heavyweights.  I don't hold that against him for a moment - it's the reality of the risks of being an NHL player.

@oldnews

i was wondering, considering Guddy’s July 1st UFA status and his potential to leave and we get nothing in return, does that factor into his (potential) contract numbers from JB?  If his play points to a 4 million dollar salary, but he’s wanting 5, is that extra 1 million worth it to us, considering he could leave and we get nothing?  We did give up a first McCann and a second to get him.  Or does all the extra stuff (what we gave up to get him + his coming UFA status + we could get nothing for him) not factor in to JB’s negotiations?  Personally I think it should, but with the salary cap, making contract mistakes on players might be of more value than the extenuating factors in Guddy’s case.  

Am I making this negotiation more complicated than it should be?  

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I wonder why those guys were 'off'...hmmm

It's actually kind of funny how blind to it you are :lol:

Stecher played well?!? His plays directly led to at least 2 GA...lol 

Please humble me with your wisdom and explain how Pouliot playing McDavid scared, Virtanen giving the puck away like candy and MDZ/Hutton struggling with outlet passes (something that happens with Gudbranson in the lineup) changes with Erik. I'll wait.

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

How is losing McCann and a 2nd round pick for nothing not a disappointment?

I dont mind the idea of a mid season break for the players. But they are paid millions. Maybe they can hold off on a trip until I dont know their near 5 month time they dont play hockey? Especially just coming back from an injury and a guy like him wanting to try and get paid this summer.

He could have just slept wrong or hurt it in practice, but if he infact did hurt himself in Mexico then you can see where his priorities are. As an athlete during the season you should be fully committed to your sport. I mean us fans are paying a lot of our hard earned $ to try and go to a game even when the team sucks.....

Just now, Yotes said:

I dont mind the idea of a mid season break for the players. But they are paid millions. Maybe they can hold off on a trip until I dont know their near 5 month time they dont play hockey? Especially just coming back from an injury and a guy like him wanting to try and get paid this summer.

He could have just slept wrong or hurt it in practice, but if he infact did hurt himself in Mexico then you can see where his priorities are. As an athlete during the season you should be fully committed to your sport. I mean us fans are paying a lot of our hard earned $ to try and go to a game even when the team sucks.....

Maybe his back tightened up during the flight back, from all the sitting?  

4 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Please humble me with your wisdom and explain how Pouliot playing McDavid scared, Virtanen giving the puck away like candy and MDZ/Hutton struggling with outlet passes (something that happens with Gudbranson in the lineup) changes with Erik. I'll wait.

Because, they're not spending time and energy scrambling around in futility attempting to (poorly) perform his role in his absence.

Just now, aGENT said:

Because, they're not spending time and energy scrambling around in futility attempting to (poorly) perform his role in his absence.

You have to be kidding me.

The Oilers didn't need to be physical because they didn't have to. 

I mean, the hit highlight of the game was Adam freaking Larsson's tame hip check. Adam. Larsson. Come on guy.

Have to wonder if his average play and his injuries the last 2 seasons won't mean we can retain him for $4 million or less for a few seasons.

If possible might as well do it.  He's not worth more than $4 million but some GM would shovel cash at him because that's what GMs do

Archived