The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

7 minutes ago, Me_ said:

How interesting that the rumour of the day is Liljegren and a 1st for Tanev...

If the Leafs are ready to package Liljegren and a 1st, does it matter if it is for Gudbranson or Tanev?

If I got the choice, Gudbranson would be what I would give up simply because of his UFA status.

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

If the Leafs are ready to package Liljegren and a 1st, does it matter if it is for Gudbranson or Tanev?

If someone is willing to give up a serious asset(s) for Gudbranson, it lessens the likelihood of a Tanev trade, although I'd argue that a Tanev trade is pretty unlikely either way. Tanev is far and away our best player not named Boeser. Trading him would leave a massive hole in our already weak backend, I just don't see management/ownership having any appetite for that. From a rebuilding perspective, getting a defenseman like Liljegren for Gudbranson (even if we had to add a bit) would be huge and Tanev is a guy we'd want to keep around to mentor Liljegren, Juolevi etc.

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

Personally, I like Gudbranson. He just turned 26 years old. He's not nearly close to be the player he will be. If the Leafs want him over Tanev, Benning still turns McCann, a 2nd & a 4th into a 1st pick in '18 & the 17OA '17.

I came across the Tanev for Lilegren + 1st on twitter yesterday afternoon.  I just didn't see much validity it appears Botchford has come out and claimed its merit.  So it definitely has a lot more ground then what I initially thought unless hes just running with the ball.  I would just rather trade Gudbranson then Tanev thats why i said that. :) a boy can drema.

Gudbranson is a big blueliner who cost Vancouver two draft picks and former first rounder Jared McCann in a deal with Florida in 2016, but the Canucks are not likely to re-sign the former third overall pick.

The Toronto Maple Leafs reportedly have expressed interest in the right-handed blueliner (offering a draft pick and prospect Andrew Nielsen, according to TSN), 

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/nhl-trade-rumors-deadline-calgary-flames-winniped-jets-edmonton-oilers-vancouver-canucks/u2h1w68d0v0i1ugs0iy86j5ek

Neilsen is an intriguing prospect.

Physical two-way defender with a little bit of offensive upside. Willingness to drop the gloves too. All scouting reports say he isn't an awful skater and has a good first pass. Put up 14 goals last year as a rookie defenseman in the AHL. His numbers have dropped but I am going to assume that's because of deployment, especially with guys like Liljegren and Dermott on the team. Has an overall package that we need in our defense pool.

I would want a 2nd on top of him for Gudbranson. I think that's a fair trade.

33 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Neilsen is an intriguing prospect.

Physical two-way defender with a little bit of offensive upside. Willingness to drop the gloves too. All scouting reports say he isn't an awful skater and has a good first pass. Put up 14 goals last year as a rookie defenseman in the AHL. His numbers have dropped but I am going to assume that's because of deployment, especially with guys like Liljegren and Dermott on the team. Has an overall package that we need in our defense pool.

I would want a 2nd on top of him for Gudbranson. I think that's a fair trade.

Yeah the speculated rumour before was Neilsen and a 3rd. Would be fantastic if Benning could get Dermott and a 2nd but I’d definitely settle for Neilsen and a 2nd.

7 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Yeah the speculated rumour before was Neilsen and a 3rd. Would be fantastic if Benning could get Dermott and a 2nd but I’d definitely settle for Neilsen and a 2nd.

If we got Dermott and a 2nd then we would almost get the value we traded away for Gudbranson back.

Wouldn't nearly be as big of a loss.

Either way JB should trying to be working the phones. We've got assets 

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

Leafs dman are dropping like flies. If they want to make the playoffs they’ll need to pay up. Lou robbed us with the Schneider trade. It’s time to get even. Marner for Gudbranson or 1st and liljegran. 

I mean...it wasn't that simple. Rumour was that Edmonton offered us a better package but we didn't want to trade within the division, so Gillis accepted less to send him out east. Regardless, Bo turned out to be pretty damn good and is still getting better. I liked CS as much as anyone but I can't be mad at that deal and certainly don't hold anything against Lamoriello.

8 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we got Dermott and a 2nd then we would almost get the value we traded away for Gudbranson back.

Wouldn't nearly be as big of a loss.

Either way JB should trying to be working the phones. We've got assets 

i just hope Jim doesnt put all his focus into a guddy/tanev deal. we got a lot of pieces we could move out. depth guys chaput, biega, bouchier etc would all be valuable adds if the price was worth hampering utica. Cassels has taken ovet chaputs first line c role and has done well. he mighf make chaput expendable now hes cleared waviers.  we can probably get a 4th-5th or a low end prospect.

21 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

i just hope Jim doesnt put all his focus into a guddy/tanev deal. we got a lot of pieces we could move out. depth guys chaput, biega, bouchier etc would all be valuable adds if the price was worth hampering utica. Cassels has taken ovet chaputs first line c role and has done well. he mighf make chaput expendable now hes cleared waviers.  we can probably get a 4th-5th or a low end prospect.

I wonder if those guys you mentioned (other than Cassels) have any value?  I'm wondering if we should move a guy like Gaunce/Granlund in a package with Guddy or Tanev (to increase the return) and bring up Cassels?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if those guys you mentioned (other than Cassels) have any value?  I'm wondering if we should move a guy like Gaunce/Granlund in a package with Guddy or Tanev (to increase the return) and bring up Cassels?

I hope we move Goldie. :) not a fan of his style of play. We have a lot of depth guys we could move or swap for other prospects of need.  We might not get anything flashy back for chaput but maybe if were lucky on the high end a 6th d man? or 7th?

51 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

John Cena Laughing 23012018100832.jpg

3 minutes ago, coryberg said:

John Cena Laughing 23012018100832.jpg

As depth players they have some value lol.  depends on the depth of the acquiring team.  sounds crazy i know  :P can probably get a 5th for all 3 of them.  biega might be able to net you a 4th with his intensity lol.

29 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I hope we move Goldie. :) not a fan of his style of play. We have a lot of depth guys we could move or swap for other prospects of need.  We might not get anything flashy back for chaput but maybe if were lucky on the high end a 6th d man? or 7th?

I would disagree. Goldy may not have yet to show a full compete level. He doesnt have any grit to his game and is still needing to learn to be more effective without the puck.

But that said, he has shown he has NHL skill. I would hope we give him a chance to succeed. I also would be okay if we traded him for an area of need like a young RHD. But I think when he comes up again this year I would like to see what he could do with Boeser and Horvat.

Archived