The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Maybe a New Year's resolution could be for you to actually add content to discussions rather than just posting inane responses in order to up your post count?

Too much to ask, I know... sorry.

the ironing - of your waste of text here - on the heels of the 'substance' of an Eklund E4.

post-count references are easily among the most mundane cookie-cutter 'content' on these boards.

24 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I agree that they missed his physicality but again that was one of the lowest reason as to why panthers struggled.  Panthers still had MacKenzie and Petrovic, two players that brought the same if not more of that play to the panthers than Guddy did when he played there.  The Canucks also missed scoring in the 2013/14 season. But one support player doesn't have that big of an effect on a roster falling, context is needed.  In both cased you can list a handful of other issues that played a far bigger roll on the teams set backs, injuries being the biggest.  What hurt the panther more missing Gudbranson and the 64 games he played in 15/16. or losing Huberdeau for 4 months (51 games)? 

Well according to a lot of people, the demers/gudbranson rumours were just made up....or does it only become a made up rumour when someone brings up the point that it means canucks considered moving guddy?

Not sure about real or imagined as I have no relationship with Florida management but it was all over papers in Florida before it was on this board here so some smoke means fire?   I really don't know for sure but Tallon only waxes praise on Guddy whenever given the chance.

Was mixed trade for me as I liked the concept of McCann.   He is a bit redundant on the Cats but when he shows up (every third game or so), he shows what he can be.   His problem seems to be indifference to effort.   Frustrates the hell out of the coaches you can tell.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I wonder if JD Burke was Eklund's source, or if Eklund was JD Burke's source?

fwiw, you can take it to the Bottle Depot.

I wanna give you a + 1 but I kind of like Canucks Army haha. If only for a different perspective on our team/players. 

I'm always up for a good ol Eklund bashing though.

Just now, VIC_CITY said:

I wanna give you a + 1 but I kind of like Canucks Army haha. If only for a different perspective on our team/players. 

I'm always up for a good ol Eklund bashing though.

I might be too hard on Canucksarmy (and like a couple of their less prominent members)  but the hard sell 'analyticz' crusaders certainly invite the pushback.

Eklund though - he's a joke if credibility is any concern - the definition of a broken clock - who is pure 'entertainment' value.

23 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Not sure about real or imagined as I have no relationship with Florida management but it was all over papers in Florida before it was on this board here so some smoke means fire?   I really don't know for sure but Tallon only waxes praise on Guddy whenever given the chance.

Well i guess we can say the same thing about Demer's nixing the trade, since that's where the smoke started from. 

It can't be both ways.  Either Tallon tried to get Guddy back AND Canucks were considering trading him at the time or the rumour was made up.  We can't just write a rumour off as made up BS then use the same rumour as evidence to a justify a players value.

23 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Was mixed trade for me as I liked the concept of McCann.   He is a bit redundant on the Cats but when he shows up (every third game or so), he shows what he can be.   His problem seems to be indifference to effort.   Frustrates the hell out of the coaches you can tell.

McCann is a bit redundant but so was guddy.  they had Ekblad, Demers, Petrovic and Pysyk on the right side and they had Weegar in the minors. Petrovic was cheaper, showing some real promise providing a very similar game to Guddy, big, physical and decent shot and strong PKing,  he hasn't progressed quite as expected but neither has Guddy.  Not to mention they have a former first overall pick that looked to be on the midst of a break out year, to becoming an elite D.  

I wasn't a hugely on favour for us acquiring Guddy long before we did, just ask JR and our discussions about how we could acquire him.  I like Gudbranson, i like what he brings (on and off the ice), and I liked the potential to grow into a core player. It hasn't happened (largely due to injuries) but at the same time, my like for his game isn't going to cloud what I think his value is worth.  IF we can sign him to a similar short term bridge deal, great, if not lets move on, it wont be the end of the world to see him go.  Hopefully the return can be a piece that does grow into a core piece.  

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I might be too hard on Canucksarmy (and like a couple of their less prominent members)  but the hard sell 'analyticz' crusaders certainly invite the pushback.

Eklund though - he's a joke if credibility is any concern - the definition of a broken clock - who is pure 'entertainment' value.

I really don't understand how he's gotten where he has in life. He's the cheap tabloid magazine of the hockey world. That only works in Hollywood when you're writing about the Kardashians or whether Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston are back together. It really has no place in sports. Yet somehow the guy gets clicks and people take what he say like there's actually an ounce of truth to it. It really boggles my mind, how a guy like Eklund even exists. 

i heard Chicago may be interested in his services. i could really see him being a solid fit on their blueline. im curious what the return would be though if we explored that route.

what does montreal have available aside from patches?

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Eklund has an E4 about Gudbranson moving in the next few days.  Leafs, Islanders, and Buffalo are his takes.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen soon, we have a little break between games and teams will have seen enough to know that he is healthy.  It may be a matter of waiting until tomorrow when they can negotiate an extension and find out how much he would cost to lock up (either for us or for the receiving team).  Once that can be worked on, then maybe a day or two to see if we can drive up the price.

what is an e4? we got a link to eklunds comment? havent heard of buffalo yet. isles are a tad surprising but they need to keep tavares for sure.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

i heard Chicago may be interested in his services. i could really see him being a solid fit on their blueline. im curious what the return would be though if we explored that route.

I think from Chicago we should ask for debrincat and Montreal Mete.  Both seems to be something that would replace McCann

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

chicago is an interesting team, they could use a shake up of sorts to their team. Gudbranson could fit nicely on the back end, could also offer up Vanek in a package deal too to maybe fit in with kane?

Not sure what Chicago has for assets, they wont be trading debrincat

8 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

I think from Chicago we should ask for debrincat and Montreal Mete.  Both seems to be something that would replace McCann

Chicago got humiliated in the playoffs by Nashville because of the lack of speed of their Ds.  

Montreal is struggling because they don't have puck movers.  They are not going to bring in Gudbranson when Alzner is already looking to be a problem.

Just now, mll said:

Chicago got humiliated in the playoffs by Nashville because of the lack of speed of their Ds.  

Montreal is struggling because they don't have puck movers.  They are not going to bring in Gudbranson when Alzner is already looking to be a problem.

I tend to agree.  But those are the guys I would want off out of their assets for our rebuild.  

13 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

what is an e4? we got a link to eklunds comment? havent heard of buffalo yet. isles are a tad surprising but they need to keep tavares for sure.

12 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

eklunds most recent post

Rumor Update> Erik Gudbranson and the Leafs "Close" (e4) Blues and Pacioretty (e3). Rumor Chart Update Upcoming

as of 3 hrs ago

E4 is even less than E5 - which is supposed to essentially be a done deal ie from solid sources, but typically translates into literally nothing but clickbait noise.

I certainly can't be bothered to look into it, but my guess would be that an E5 runs at about 5% efficiency - in other words, about the likelihood of random clingon or wannabe speculation sticking to the wall.  Didn't Burke have Gudbranson to Montreal on twitter a couple days ago and delete it?    That would be the equivalent of the typical Eklund E5.

13 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Elklund isn’t an insider, he is kind of a collator of rumors.  He has a “code” for how strong the rumojr is.

Basically (not his definitions),

E1-E3 = something some random person tweeted or said in a forum like this.

E4 = Some actual hockey person like a local beat writer talked about hearing someone has had a trade conversation, or seen high level scouts from those teams at games.

E5 = It has already been reported by a legitimate insider source.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

E4 is even less than E5 - which is supposed to essentially be a done deal ie from solid sources, but typically translates into literally nothing but clickbait noise.

I certainly can't be bothered to look into it, but my guess would be that an E5 runs at about 5% efficiency - in other words, about the likelihood of random clingon or wannabe speculation sticking to the wall.  Didn't Burke have Gudbranson to Montreal on twitter a couple days ago and delete it?    That would be the equivalent of the typical Eklund E5.

Naming Gudbranson to the huge market in Toronto smells like pure clickbait.  

Fun to speculate though. Why would JB rush this before the bidding war at the deadline...  would the Leafs give up Liljegren? Dermott?  Rasanen? 

Probably not.

Archived