The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Is On The Hot Seat?

TheGuardian_

Who, in the NHL, coaches, GM's, Presidents, Scouts, Players, are on the hot seat?

Which one's are grasping at keeping their jobs?

Which should be grasping to keep their jobs?

Which should be nervous?

Who fires who? Pres fires GM? GM fires coach? Owner fires Pres and GM? Owner fires all? Pres fires all?

The best of the worst.

First time since 1998 that there hasn't been a coach fired by the Christmas break,thats quite a stat actually. The obvious ones for coaches I guess would be Boucher, Peters, Hackstol (even though he's been given the vote of confidence). Housley, Tocchett, Bednar, Boughner and Blashisill are probably safe becuase their teams werent expected to do much and are living up to that. Bergevin, Dorion as the obvious GM choices. Players would have to be anyone on the Sens (including EK), the Habs, the Sabres (except Eichel), the Panthers to an extent.

For the Canucks, really no one is on the hot seat imo. Green showed he can coach the hell out of a team, and while injuries are never supposed to be an excuse they really are an excuse this season. Jim's done great with his picks so he's safe too. I don't know how many TDL deals there are to be made but the guys that likely get moved know its coming and will be heading for the playoffs so thats fine. 

I think Bergevin is the guy who will be sweating if Montreal misses the playoffs. Making the kinds of moves and deals he has and not at least making the 1st round shouldn't be rewarded. 

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I don't know many presidents, scouts, players of other teams that would be in the hot seat. But I do think Marc Bergevin and Peter Chiarelli are two GMs that are likely in the hot seat right now. As for coaches, maybe Jeff Blashill or Bill Peters.

Yeah Blashill has got to be on borrowed time i think.

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

Yeah Blashill has got to be on borrowed time i think.

Yeah, he has the sixth-worst winning percentage among current NHL head coaches, although it is still above .500. He has gone 74-66-24 since being hired in 2015. Red Wings' 27-year playoff streak also came to an end last season.

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Yeah, he has the sixth-worst winning percentage among current NHL head coaches, although it is still above .500. He has gone 74-66-24 since being hired in 2015. Red Wings' 27-year playoff streak also came to an end last season.

Yes i meant to add as you already know, but that is a very expecting and demanding market after all their success.

2 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Yes i meant to add as you already know, but that is a very expecting and demanding market after all their success.

That is true. It's hard to continue the same success dating back to the Yzerman era. But one stat I found interesting is that he was hired only two years ago and in those two years, a total of 18 NHL coaches have been fired.

1 minute ago, Butters Stoch said:

Everyone in the Sens organization, they're the laughing stock of this season. Their GM just went all in and traded away half of their future for an underperforming "star" and they're sitting near the bottom of the league.

He did protect the first, which was wise.  I don’t think Duchene is a better player than Turris to start with.  Yes.  That GM should get fired, but not before he trades us Chabot for Hutton.  :o

On 2017-12-22 at 4:21 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

For the Canucks, really no one is on the hot seat imo. Green showed he can coach the hell out of a team, and while injuries are never supposed to be an excuse they really are an excuse this season. Jim's done great with his picks so he's safe too. I don't know how many TDL deals there are to be made but the guys that likely get moved know its coming and will be heading for the playoffs so thats fine. 

I think Bergevin is the guy who will be sweating if Montreal misses the playoffs. Making the kinds of moves and deals he has and not at least making the 1st round shouldn't be rewarded. 

Injury excuse is used for everyone. Except Torts. It’s Torts fault we had bad injuries that year. Despite having injury woes pretty much every year. But that year. It’s his fault. 

On 22/12/2017 at 7:21 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

Bergevin will get  axed, and or linched if his team misses the playoffs, Drouin underachieves while Sergechev overachieves or any mix of the two.  Knowing the market the way I do, I can understand the Weber trade so that can be forgiven, but that will probably come back at him at some point too.  

AV must have felt his back burning earlier this year when NYR were losing game after game but has since righted his ship,  and Sullivan has accrued enough capital in Stanley Cups to keep him safe even if somehow they miss the playoffs ala LA and coach Sutter ( although that eventually didn't help).  

Quenville must have also felt some heat given CHI up and down start, but he's likely given a lot of rope, nobody expects their aging superstars to carry the lunch forever...but cap restraints mean the have to, and they are doing an admirable job ( just check out Kanes line mates and it's obvious he's still one of the best in the world) and Crawford still gets no respect.

If things continue its possible we will see head roll in Dallas now that they have Bishop...and I'm sure somebody will get fired before the season is out....EDM....wow.  

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

He did protect the first, which was wise.  I don’t think Duchene is a better player than Turris to start with.  Yes.  That GM should get fired, but not before he trades us Chabot for Hutton.  :o

Ottawa's a strange animal, they have some underappreciated pieces in Hoffman and Stone, and debatably the best player in the world in EK, but don't get much respect.  Doughy stole a Norris from them, mostly because then powers that be were so worried he would Brad Park it and wanted to make sure he wouldn't, a love affair started from a couple goals in the Olympics and didn't die down until his trophy.  Anderson can be one of the best in the league when he's hot.  Turris was ok, not great, not bad and they definitely got the better player but gave up a lot for it which makes you think THEY think they actually have a good shot at the cup.  You can understand why when they outplayed the PENs and lost in double overtime game 7 ( overall series play)... Chabot was so good last year at the WJC...he should have a long NHL career, ranked 1-3 overall as best player not in the NHL before the season and he's recently made his debut. 

TOs killing it, but my money goes to Ottawa doing the most damage again this year if they make the playoffs somehow.  Despite the start without EK and the other problems, they have an it factor which I think TO lacks for now.

I live near Ottawa so am starting to get biased ha ha.  Seriously though Turris never panned out here, although not as bad as Ryan who's streaky enough you could call him Geoff Courtnall 2.0, they just have some penash ...

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Ottawa's a strange animal, they have some underappreciated pieces in Hoffman and Stone, and debatably the best player in the world in EK, but don't get much respect.  Doughy stole a Norris from them, mostly because then powers that be were so worried he would Brad Park it and wanted to make sure he wouldn't, a love affair started from a couple goals in the Olympics and didn't die down until his trophy.  Anderson can be one of the best in the league when he's hot.  Turris was ok, not great, not bad and they definitely got the better player but gave up a lot for it which makes you think THEY think they actually have a good shot at the cup.  You can understand why when they outplayed the PENs and lost in double overtime game 7 ( overall series play)... Chabot was so good last year at the WJC...he should have a long NHL career, ranked 1-3 overall as best player not in the NHL before the season and he's recently made his debut. 

TOs killing it, but my money goes to Ottawa doing the most damage again this year if they make the playoffs somehow.  Despite the start without EK and the other problems, they have an it factor which I think TO lacks for now.

I live near Ottawa so am starting to get biased ha ha.  Seriously though Turris never panned out here, although not as bad as Ryan who's streaky enough you could call him Geoff Courtnall 2.0, they just have some penash ...

I love EK.  If he’s not the best right now, it’s darned close.  Great player, and fun to watch.  Stone is really good too.  I’m not a Duchene fan.  I like Turris’ 200 foot game.  

I was disgusted with the Sen’s Owner saying he could move them team.  Hope Sens get a new, and much better owner. 

Archived