The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Hortons Heirs Cut Paid Breaks and Benefits After Minimum Wage Hike

nucklehead

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Saw that.

I still think that, in 10 years, nobody will remember and they’ll be even bigger.

Chick Fil A, despite massive controversy in 2012, keeps posting record profits year over year (as of 2015 reported profits).

Tim’s will be fine. The lineup at mine today was as long as ever. In hindsight, I wish mine was boycotted so I didn’t have to wait those 4 extra minutes.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/by-the-numbers-tim-hortons-franchisees-and-ontarios-minimum-wage-hike

Ontario’s minimum wage hike will cost the average Tim Hortons franchisee $243,889 this year

Obviously more to the report, but that’s a lot of cheddar. Knowing how much a middle of the road franchisee pulls in for each of his two Tim’s restaurants, no friggin wonder the franchisees in Ontario are upset.

4 minutes ago, Monty said:

http://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/by-the-numbers-tim-hortons-franchisees-and-ontarios-minimum-wage-hike

Obviously more to the report, but that’s a lot of cheddar. Knowing how much a middle of the road franchisee pulls in for each of his two Tim’s restaurants, no friggin wonder the franchisees in Ontario are upset.

That's where a lot of this discussion is lost on some people.  This isn't some big corp that is nickle-and-diming people.  It's like any of thousands of small businesses who will get hit hard by things like this.

And, short-sighted attempts at some people being willing to pay a little more to cover the wage increases don't understand that there is more to it than that.  Not only does the wage go up, but so does the payroll taxes the employer pays, as does the cost of goods and services the company uses to provide for its customers.  Timmy's beans, flour, sugar and other items don't just appear by magic, and many of those companies that serve Timmy's and other restaurants can have employees making minimum wage.

27 minutes ago, Monty said:

Saw that.

I still think that, in 10 years, nobody will remember and they’ll be even bigger.

Chick Fil A, despite massive controversy in 2012, keeps posting record profits year over year (as of 2015 reported profits).

Tim’s will be fine. The lineup at mine today was as long as ever. In hindsight, I wish mine was boycotted so I didn’t have to wait those 4 extra minutes.

Chick Fil A seems to be good with community support.  They provided free food to blood donors after the Orlando nightclub shooting, and did the same recently when the Atlanta airport power went out, feeding a couple thousand people that were stuck there.  Since they were also closed those days (they close on Sundays), there were no workers scheduled to help out, so the employees stepping up is commendable too.  Being consistent good neighbors will often overshadow some bad PR once in a while.

Be interesting to see how long the boycott lasts.  If there are lots of other Tim Horton's around that customers can go elsewhere, that might drag it out longer, but when people start to grasp the impact of the near $250K you mention, that might help some sanity sink back in.  If the stores close, that doesn't do the workers any good, either.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Saw that.

Tim's will be great.  The francjises owned by the Hortons/Joyces however may not be. 

Even Tim Hortons HQ has abandoned them.

41 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Be interesting to see how long the boycott lasts.  If there are lots of other Tim Horton's around that customers can go elsewhere, that might drag it out longer, but when people start to grasp the impact of the near $250K you mention, that might help some sanity sink back in.  If the stores close, that doesn't do the workers any good, either.

Someone else will buy them first if they are profitable.  Opening a Timmy Ho's in suburban Buffalo is like a license to print cash.

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Regardless of what people think about how the employees are getting screwed, thats an absolutely massive hit.  Some Tims could absorb that ok but I bet most would be really struggling, any of the small or middle sized ones.

Just now, Hobble said:

Maybe if their coffee wasn't $&!#e, they would make enough money to pay their workers a fair wage.

I think the constant line up speaks for itself. Keep in mind this isn't Tim Hortons it's some franchisee in Ontario. I'm certain they can pay their staff they're just being greedy. 

I understand @Kragars argument however these people have had ample notice of this coming. I realize they can't unilaterally raise the prices of goods at their restaurant but they make huge money running a timmies like @SabreFan1 pointed out.

34 minutes ago, Russ said:

Regardless of what people think about how the employees are getting screwed, thats an absolutely massive hit.  Some Tims could absorb that ok but I bet most would be really struggling, any of the small or middle sized ones.

Cobourg has a population of 20,000 and is right off the 401 on the way to Oshawa and Toronto. Pretty sure it's a heavy traffic area. Admittedly I have never been there.

14 minutes ago, Hobble said:

Maybe if their coffee wasn't $&!#e, they would make enough money to pay their workers a fair wage.

Maybe if their pre frozen / reheated  food wasn't complete %$#^&&**  , they would make enough money to pay their workers a fair wage.

I don't actually know anyone that even will eat or drink Tim Hortons products ......  except for my grandpa.

53 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Maybe if their pre frozen / reheated  food wasn't complete %$#^&&**  , they would make enough money to pay their workers a fair wage.

I don't actually know anyone that even will eat or drink Tim Hortons products ......  except for my grandpa.

Drive by a tims at any given time and check out the line ups. You don't know any of those people?

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Drive by a tims at any given time and check out the line ups. You don't know any of those people?

Not my pals.   My friends pretty much prefer  Starbucks to sit  at   or McD's coffee if they are looking for cheaper to go stuff..

I guess Tim's is good for donuts...  but i really am not a donut guy...

I really think people go to Tims because of the cheap prices..... 

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Not my pals.   My friends pretty much prefer  Starbucks to sit  at   or McD's coffee if they are looking for cheaper to go stuff..

I guess Tim's is good for donuts...  but i really am not a donut guy...

I really think people go to Tims because of the cheap prices..... 

I could care a less about donuts but I love their coffee. Second best coffee is McDonald's.

Btw I was just messing with you. B)

Have a good night.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I could care a less about donuts but I love their coffee. Second best coffee is McDonald's.

Btw I was just messing with you. B)

Have a good night.

I love McD's coffee......    I also like their fries.......

The only thing i really like at Tim's is the Chilli  

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Agreed, it's all hog slop to be honest.   It got worse when they decided fresh meant frozen.   If I'm gonna eat bad it will be with hand cut fries and a freshly made burger not any of this trash the big box places like McDonald's produces.

1 minute ago, TheOgRook said:

Agreed, it's all hog slop to be honest.   It got worse when they decided fresh meant frozen.   If I'm gonna eat bad it will be with hand cut fries and a freshly made burger not any of this trash the big box places like McDonald's produces.

Tims at one time had s ticketed baker in each location baking their product each morning 

This is before my time but what ive been told 

good old days ....

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Tims at one time had s ticketed baker in each location baking their product each morning 

This is before my time but what ive been told 

good old days ....

Yes they did, even back 15 or so years ago my wife managed one as a teen and they actually baked real baked goods.. totally agree!  The good old days. 

Archived