The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Hortons Heirs Cut Paid Breaks and Benefits After Minimum Wage Hike

nucklehead

42 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Tim Horton's blows anyway.

Just now, Monty said:

I don’t know. I like it better than the other cheap drive through coffee and quick breakfast alternative.

Nespresso all the way. So quick to make your coffee at home, recyclable pods, and an "alto" makes a big cup that costs just over $1. And it tastes unbelievably better. One of the best appliances we ever bought. 

4 minutes ago, Monty said:

I don’t know. I like it better than the other cheap drive through coffee and quick breakfast alternative.

Nuts to you. Burger King has those little French toast sticks, which are delicious, and for my money, the McGriddle is the bomb, yo! Literally. About a half an hour after I eat one, I experience what could only be referred to as an internal/external explosion.

13 hours ago, J-23 said:

So...am I the only one who still drinks hot chocolate :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

NO man, I found this delightful after eight hot chocolate mix that goes amazingly well with some baileys and creme de menthe

image.png.af2173eddb01363898140dd66d8f8019.png

Might I suggest one of these? Perfect for sitting by the woodstove and lurking the Trump thread

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Nespresso all the way. So quick to make your coffee at home, recyclable pods, and an "alto" makes a big cup that costs just over $1. And it tastes unbelievably better. One of the best appliances we ever bought. 

Oh, definitely making your own at home is the way to go. I grind my own beans and use my coffee press.

But for those that either:

A: Don’t; or

B: Are on the road for a long time and just need a quick coffee fix, then

Tim’s serves its purpose fine.

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Nuts to you. Burger King has those little French toast sticks, which are delicious, and for my money, the McGriddle is the bomb, yo! Literally. About a half an hour after I eat one, I experience what could only be referred to as an internal/external explosion.

:lol: 

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

if tims closes i hope starbucks buys up their locations...

A few years ago I was the Small Business Advisor for a Tim Horton’s owner. Knowing how much each pull in (depending on the area), they won’t be closing down. Place prints money.

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Comanies that sell such low quality products at such low prices are vulnerable to raises in minimum wage

too bad 

if tims closes i hope starbucks buys up their locations...

Really?? I love timmies and absolutely hate starbucks, i never drink starbucks. Considering timmies is lined up any time of the day I don't see them closing anytime soon.

12 minutes ago, themcdeal said:

With the new minimum wage, does this mean I can tip servers less now?

Currently the min wage for servers is $9.60, everyone else is $11.35. This is because it is thought  that servers make a lot in tips, which they do ( although some of the IHOP people etc would beg to differ). However I don't know a single server or anyone that makes tips that declare even close to their total for taxes. I have known people to make hundreds a night and never declare anything but their hourly wage. There is a lot of taxable dollars left on the table and I think this should be closer monitored. 

So to answer your question, tip what you want to. That's what tipping should be anyway, an industry should not have to rely on them.

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Currently the min wage for servers is $9.60, everyone else is $11.35. This is because it is thought  that servers make a lot in tips, which they do ( although some of the IHOP people etc would beg to differ). However I don't know a single server or anyone that makes tips that declare even close to their total for taxes. I have known people to make hundreds a night and never declare anything but their hourly wage. There is a lot of taxable dollars left on the table and I think this should be closer monitored. 

So to answer your question, tip what you want to. That's what tipping should be anyway, an industry should not have to rely on them.

Taxing tips is actually pretty stupid, that money has already been taxed. I always tip, bars, restaurants, hair cuts, etc and I didn't even know they had to declare tips. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Taxing tips is actually pretty stupid, that money has already been taxed. I always tip, bars, restaurants, hair cuts, etc and I didn't even know they had to declare tips. 

Income is always income

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

They will never qualify for a mortgage with that mentality.

I guess people see 'stupid' in different ways.

btw. Tim's coffee is hands down the worst, no competition. 

12 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

The fact you asked that question makes me think you don't tip much.

Never more then 15%. 

I worked in the restaurant biz for 3 years, from busing, bar back to serving. I made more serving then I do as junior consultant after a 4 year degree at a large accounting firm. I'm not tipping someone more than 15%  when they make more then me. 

57 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

They will never qualify for a mortgage with that mentality.

I guess people see 'stupid' in different ways.

btw. Tim's coffee is hands down the worst, no competition. 

Who the hell is they? I agree with your second sentence as for your third sentence I think reality disagrees with you.

52 minutes ago, themcdeal said:

Never more then 15%. 

I worked in the restaurant biz for 3 years, from busing, bar back to serving. I made more serving then I do as junior consultant after a 4 year degree at a large accounting firm. I'm not tipping someone more than 15%  when they make more then me. 

Ya I suppose it depends on the location of the bar/restaurant and how busy the place is. I have never worked in either so I'm not familiar with what they earn.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

A few years ago I was the Small Business Advisor for a Tim Horton’s owner. Knowing how much each pull in (depending on the area), they won’t be closing down. Place prints money.

A Tim Horton franchise is a gold mine.  Those places are packed every day.  I have a client who owns two.  Let's just say he is very well off...

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

If these people actually want to qualify for a mortgage they will need to disclose all of those tips.  They won't be getting any money from a bank if they are simply disclosing their minimum wage.  

Self-Employed people have the same issue.  They tend to write off everything but when it comes to borrowing money they get into trouble because they show little income on their tax forms.

3 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

If these people actually want to qualify for a mortgage they will need to disclose all of those tips.  They won't be getting any money from a bank if they are simply disclosing their minimum wage.  

Self-Employed people have the same issue.  They tend to write off everything but when it comes to borrowing money they get into trouble because they show little income on their tax forms.

O ok I see the point. 

I still think it's silly tips are taxed it's money that has already been taxed unless it's coming from another server I guess. 

Archived