The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks listening to offers for Hutton

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Vanek's probably worth a 3rd +/- on his own. Hutton...maybe a 2nd. A late 1st might be a bit od a stretch, we might have to add a bit but it's probably in the ball park.

I'd imagine we'd probably be looking for a prospect though.

Would have to take salary back, but we're certainly in a good position to do so, even for another year or so.  Taking a cap dumpage could boost into a nice return.

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Would have to take salary back, but we're certainly in a good position to do so, even for another year or so.  Taking a cap dumpage could boost into a nice return.

Take back McQuaid? 

Would work if signing Gudbranson looks unlikely...

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:58 AM, Yotes said:

NYI fan proposed Hutton for Nelson. Yes it log jams us more with another forward but if that was offered I think we would have to seriously consider it

Why do we want a 26 year old 2 way pivot?  :huh: 

We have Horvat as an anchor player, SUTTER to do what Nelson would and tide us over. Henrik is also here for now & Gaudette + Petterson are on the way.  Yes it log jams us for no purpose.

The D depth in Hutton will let us trade Edler next year as Juolevi is starting to make his mark! That is more valuable IMO. 

46 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Vanek's probably worth a 3rd +/- on his own. Hutton...maybe a 2nd. A late 1st might be a bit od a stretch, we might have to add a bit but it's probably in the ball park.

I'd imagine we'd probably be looking for a prospect though.

That would be pretty disappointing if all we got for Vanek was a 3rd round pick. Players with similar production (Nash, Kane) are rumoured to be worth a 1st round pick and a top prospect (although I doubt they'll actually net that kind of return). If I'm JB, I need to at least get a late 2nd rounder for him. I don't think that's being unreasonable.

2 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

That would be pretty disappointing if all we got for Vanek was a 3rd round pick. Players with similar production (Nash, Kane) are rumoured to be worth a 1st round pick and a top prospect (although I doubt they'll actually net that kind of return). If I'm JB, I need to at least get a late 2nd rounder for him. I don't think that's being unreasonable.

You need to look at historic norms for players like Vanek. A 3rd would be 'expected' a 2nd would be 'great'.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You need to look at historic norms for players like Vanek. A 3rd would be 'expected' a 2nd would be 'great'.

I just don't see how Rick Nash and his 25 points (and inflated salary) are worth anything close to a 1st round pick if Vanek is only worth a 3rd. I know in the past he hasn't garnered that much in a trade but his salary is really low this year and we could even pick up half of it. If I'm JB, I'm considering all options to increase the return (salary retention, adding a late round pick etc).

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:26 PM, coastal.view said:

this is the worst d grouping on any canuck team in a really long time

I don't share this opinion.  We were way worse in 2015 / 16 with Bartkowski & Weber! Post Bieksa, pre MDZ & Gudbranson?

Waaay, way worse...

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

I just don't see how Rick Nash and his 25 points (and inflated salary) are worth anything close to a 1st round pick if Vanek is only worth a 3rd. I know in the past he hasn't garnered that much in a trade but his salary is really low this year and we could even pick up half of it. If I'm JB, I'm considering all options to increase the return (salary retention, adding a late round pick etc).

Well, he's also got size, 'cache' etc that Vanek doesn't necessarily have. That said, Nash is probably not worth a first (IMO).

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I don't share this opinion.  We were way worse in 2015 / 16 with Bartkowski & Weber! Post Bieksa, pre MDZ & Gudbranson?

Waaay, way worse...

People read too much in to some struggling 2nd/3rd pairing kids and ignoring the context that we were/are without some pretty good defensive forwards in Dorsett, Sutter and Horvat for good chunks of the year. Not to mention having Tanev and Guddy out for periods as well.

Any team would struggle under similar circumstances.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:22 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

A possibly could be for another struggling d to get a change of scenery. Maybe a guy like petrovic could make sense. 

Or maybe a playoff team is looking for a bit more left hand depth. Maybe Dallas would part with a guy like johns

Is Patteryn viable, a plug?  I ask because I don't believe Dallas can afford to trade Johns?  To the same extent we would prefer to keep Guddy. Johns to my eye is a reasonably mobile, big & decent RHD. It would make room for Honka, Heskainen & Klingburg as RHD.  But I think they will trade one of their PMD's (Honka).  Hitch likes size, old style hockey, defensive D & shotblockers as much as he likes skill.

Unless Patteryn is better than I give credit for, I think they'll keep John's? 

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:58 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Methot is out again with a knee injury. He’s had a rough year getting hurt. I could see them maybe making a smaller depth move. 

Yeah I would like to see vanek get a young player back. Andy welinski from the ducks.  Rasmus andersson from the flames, toews from NYI. 

I proposed Edler for Honka elsewhere believing this angle more valid?  

I'm sure a healthy debate about Honka's value is a fair part of the conversation.  But Lindell, Hamhuis, Methot was already struggling. Basically I am agreeing a LHD would actually be a very good get for them...

To be honest, I think Nash and Vanek would be similar in value. Also, if we are looking to trade Vanek and NY is looking to trade Nash, we will be in direct competition with NY to sell our players as teams who could use those players will likely want to weight their options with both players. This might not be a factor in the end and teams pay a fair value or, if there are not a lot of buyers for these players, it could also lower the value on both players unfortunately since we also have to consider teams will have other options aside from Vanek and Nash. It's basic economics essentially. :)

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

To be honest, I think Nash and Vanek would be similar in value. Also, if we are looking to trade Vanek and NY is looking to trade Nash, we will be in direct competition with NY to sell our players as teams who could use those players will likely want to weight their options with both players. This might not be a factor in the end and teams pay a fair value or, if there are not a lot of buyers for these players, it could also lower the value on both players unfortunately since we also have to consider teams will have other options aside from Vanek and Nash. It's basic economics essentially. :)

I like how this is shaping up. Both clubs are demanding a ransom for Nash and Kane. Vanek could be had for a lot less. Teams will be into that.

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

I like how this is shaping up. Both clubs are demanding a ransom for Nash and Kane. Vanek could be had for a lot less. Teams will be into that.

JB needs to set the bar right away. Let everyone know he can be had for a 2nd. That's fair value IMO. The other comparribles will be cost more and have much higher salaries. 

17 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

JB needs to set the bar right away. Let everyone know he can be had for a 2nd. That's fair value IMO. The other comparribles will be cost more and have much higher salaries. 

Could even ask for more than a 2nd at first provided the asking price is still lower than Nash or Kane. A smart negotiator never gives his final asking price right off the bat.

Archived