The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we too hard on our team?

mooby

1 minute ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I think as a fan this is exactly what happens, we want to over manage.   I think you have to think of it like a work place as well- tuning over staff constantly doesnt necessarily help or guarantee better results.  I really did like what WD stood for in that he would never be disappointed with his team if he knew they were working hard.

The way I view this team is that when 100% healthy they were going to have to work their butts off to be a top team.  JB is slowly building the top end depth of this team and hopefully after this dismal year maybe through a trade or getting lucky at the draft he can (hopefully it's him) improve the team for next season. 

Good point.  Not many workplaces fire if someone has an off couple days or even week.  Passion changes how we view things though.  Yep hope he drafts well for us, mainly hope it's him drafting!

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Personally, CDC has a far more balanced and informed approach to fandom than literally any other media source. There is some swaying to either extreme, most commonly found in GDT threads. Take a stroll over to the HF boards, the HockeyBuzz boards, and the comments section in Sportsnet articles to see true vitriol. Those folks are straight up miserable sacks of spent mustard.

Clearly 98% of the people posting here love the Vancouver Canucks. Many are fans of the game in general, which helps to keep them far more informed than fans who show up donning jerseys coming playoff time.

That being said, that passion for the team coupled with an arduous journey since 1970, which has included two trips to the finals, both culminating in bridesmaid status, do color the way many react, myself included, that's for sure. During that time, for some strange reason, the team became vilified to the point where the rest of the country cheered for the Bruins during 2011.

The local sports media has picked up on this, and due to the fact that Vancouver is a small city with only a MLS and a CFL team to whet the sports appetite, coverage of the Canucks remains the top draw. Factor in the fact that the majority of the local "journalists" scour this very board, as well as the aforementioned (and inferior) message boards, and you have what you have here today.

Canucks fans have been through a lot, and I'm sure many suffer some form of mild post traumatic sports disorder that causes there to be some friction.

I'll never cheer for another hockey team in the NHL, and I predict that when, not if, the Canucks raise the Cup, we will lose our collective $&!#, in the best possible way.

Great points and explanation.  Agree 100%.

One thing I have never understood, why were we so hated in 2011 across the Country?  I try to cheer for any Canadian team in the playoffs.  Except the Leafs if that happens. ::D

Like I posted in the PGT - this team was predicted to be bottom 5 with a HEALTHY lineup. It's not the teams fault so many of you didn't believe it... cried foul, eastern bias, etc.

We have 2 career backups in net, a myriad of injuries to key players, and let's be honest here - a non playoff lineup. 

Of all seasons, this is one to sit back and enjoy watching Boeser, watching for flashes of our future core.. and watching the last peices of the best Canucks team ever play their last season or two.

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I think back to the dog yrs of the 80's..of course, no internet/CDC, & folks threw timbits at'cha to indicate a minus. Even quoting a pos(t)er, might incite a brouhaha.

The contrast? I think there was more general prosperity then, so folks had more things to do(varied interests). Didn't mean we loved hockey less..just weren't as fully engrossed with the minutiae of struggling 6th round picks, compared with 2018.

Perhaps people/everyday life was more interesting then, & we didn't get mired in the boring details?..Excuse me, as I go rearrange my sock drawer...

You have to go back a lot further than the 80's to get the reference to Ward and the Beaver though Nux.

Ward and June Cleaver along with their sons Wally and Beaver were a TV staple in the 50's and early 60's. Eddie Haskell was always my favorite character.

I was still cheering for the Canucks then............

I'm going to say no because our expectations keep management and players accountable.

They know if they make a crap move they're going to take heat.

It can be vicious, no doubt, but in a market that is passionate, I think the players that want to stay in Vancouver respect the loyalty and want to win the fans over.

Fans support the team, quite generously considering some recent painful years.

If we're going to pay hundreds of dollars for tickets and jerseys, we want something to be excited about.

Here on CDC? Maybe. The overall fan likely doesn't care enough to make a stink. Just casually watch from the distance waiting until the team is relevant enough to follow more closely. There are a few instances of other fanbases being tougher on their team's lack of success than us. Sitting on a forum calling for heads is one thing, going to games to throw jerseys or waffles on the ice is another.

Just now, mooby said:

One thing I have never understood, why were we so hated in 2011 across the Country?  I try to cheer for any Canadian team in the playoffs.  Except the Leafs if that happens. ::D

I have absolutely no idea. Both teams had personalities that were grating, but the way Boston crossed the line multiple times during that seven game series should have offended most hockey fans.

Frankly, because of how the rest of Canada turned on the Canucks during that time, I've had a hard time getting behind the Oilers, Flames, Canadiens, or Leafs. I would throw my support behind the Jets or Senators though.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Easy to say to the TV or on a message board for sure. I am proud that Canucks fans haven't resorted to wearing paperbags on their heads, or chucking jerseys on the ice (I think?), or yelling and cursing at players in the concourse as they head off the ice after the game (stay classy Edmonton.)

I think on a whole we are a culture of classy fans and players.  Most of the time... 

3 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Like I posted in the PGT - this team was predicted to be bottom 5 with a HEALTHY lineup. It's not the teams fault so many of you didn't believe it... cried foul, eastern bias, etc.

We have 2 career backups in net, a myriad of injuries to key players, and let's be honest here - a non playoff lineup. 

Of all seasons, this is one to sit back and enjoy watching Boeser, watching for flashes of our future core.. and watching the last peices of the best Canucks team up to this point play their last season or two.

Fixed that for you. You never know what the future brings.

Just now, mooby said:

I think on a whole we are a culture of classy fans and players.  Most of the time... 

For sure. When I've been at games, I don't hear players getting called out by name, or people booing the team. I did hear Fire Gillis once.

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

You have to go back a lot further than the 80's to get the reference to Ward and the Beaver though Nux.

Ward and June Cleaver along with their sons Wally and Beaver were a TV staple in the 50's and early 60's. Eddie Haskell was always my favorite character.

I was still cheering for the Canucks then............

Yeah..I was a subsequent gen who viewed that trite crap with jaundiced eye.

I lived in a fantasy(island?) 70's world, where my rotten-youth mind tried to somehow blend Jack Tripper's living arrangement(with 2 babes) on Gilligan's uninhabited isle!

& DON'T get me started on Barbara Eden!

2 minutes ago, mooby said:

Have you been to the other Canadian teams cities? Toronto's a cesspool, Winnipegs a frozen wasteland, Edmontons a dump... Calgarys OK, but the fans are a bunch of drunk hicks.. Montreal.. Well, #%@& Montreal, Ottawa too.

Vancouver is a nice place (compared to those cities) so a lot of it is jealousy... and a lot of it is our passionate, if arrogant, fan base... having league-wide hated players like Burrows and Kesler didn't help... especially after Ron's witch hunt against Burrows - we knew it was bull$&!#, but the rest of the country took it as news.

In the end though, who cares. They hated us because they were cheering for the wrong team... and likely still are.

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yeah..I was a subsequent gen who viewed that trite crap with jaundiced eye.

I lived in a fantasy(island?) 70's world, where my rotten-youth mind tried to somehow blend Jack Tripper's living arrangement(with 2 babes) on Gilligan's uninhabited isle!

& DON'T get me started on Barbara Eden!

Hey, maybe that's what we need....a genie! Couldn't hurt, right?

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Fixed that for you. You never know what the future brings.

Well yeah.. But they were and are the best team we've ever had. I cant wait for another group to surpass them but no correction needed IMO - I get what your saying though ;)

2 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Well yeah.. But they were and are the best team we've ever had. I cant wait for another group to surpass them but no correction needed IMO - I get what your saying though ;)

Oh, it's coming Davathor. It's coming.

As well, I would say that in some ways the 1994 team surpassed the 2011 team in power and endurance. What Boston pulled in 2011 would have been handed back tenfold by Odjick, Babych, Momesso, Linden, and all.

Oh and they had Bure.

11 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Have you been to the other Canadian teams cities? Toronto's a cesspool, Winnipegs a frozen wasteland, Edmontons a dump... Calgarys OK, but the fans are a bunch of drunk hicks.. Montreal.. Well, #%@& Montreal, Ottawa too.

Vancouver is a nice place (compared to those cities) so a lot of it is jealousy... and a lot of it is our passionate, if arrogant, fan base... having league-wide hated players like Burrows and Kesler didn't help... especially after Ron's witch hunt against Burrows - we knew it was bull$&!#, but the rest of the country took it as news.

In the end though, who cares. They hated us because they were cheering for the wrong team... and likely still are.

Yeah I get what you're saying.  Been all across Canada, and yes in my opinion Vancouver is in my opinion at the top end of places to live.  Just kind of trashy to bag on a team because of that bias...

That being said.  I hate the Ducks because of Kesler, and love Ottawa because of Burr.  So am I any better?

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Oh, it's coming Davathor. It's coming.

As well, I would say that in some ways the 1994 team surpassed the 2011 team in power and endurance. What Boston pulled in 2011 would have been handed back tenfold by Odjick, Babych, Momesso, Linden, and all.

Oh and they had Bure.

That's true.. but the way 2011 dominated the entire season in almost every stat puts them a hair above IMO.. that whole playoff run was magic.. maybe recent memory has to do with it too, but I don't think I've enjoyed any win more than Burrows Game 7 OT against the Hawks... threw my voice out that night

Archived