The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we too hard on our team?

mooby

I don’t normally start posts on here so bear with me.  Especially if this is a topic that has been beaten to death.  

The question is, are we too hard on our team?  Especially this year.

I know if I take a step back I am guilty of this.  In certain games I’ve yelled at my TV “Get rid of Nilson, Marky, Eriksson, Edler… trade for xxx yyyy whatever.”  

Yes we have player performance and team performance issues.  It isn’t an overnight fix to get us in a level of compete for the cup.  Most of us all know that.  Yet still, (and I am speaking for myself more than anyone else)we forget that when the game is on.

Does our level of devotion to our team actually perpetuate the god awful and borderline slanderous Vancouver media?  Adding more pressure on the team and the individual players that are singled out?

Would we be so critical if we got the cup in 2011?  Or has that led to us having less patience than other fans?

Sorry if this is a jumble of thoughts.  I’d just like to know people’s opinions.  I’ve been a die hard Canucks fan my entire life.  That will never change.  Sure a loss is depressing, but since I was a kid no matter what was going on I always had those guys that get out on the ice for us.   I’m proud of my home city of Vancouver, proud of my home team.  I know most if not all on here are too.  Does that pride translate in to unrealistic expectations?  The point of NHL hockey is to entertain the fans.  With the likes of Brock, JV18, Stetcher the past few games… we are being entertained.  We are also being shown that there is hope for the team we love.

Thanks for letting me vent and ask questions!

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Yes is the short answer...

and yea the press is feeding on the hardship of the team/fans...

Winning in 2011 would not have changed that. 

And good post. +1

Thanks!  The press thing has really bothered me lately.  I'm sure it wears thin on the team as well.  Even if they try to stay away from it. 

Yep, especially considering how this team is cursed with injuries to important players. This year and last we've seen this team impacted by injuries more then many other teams. Had we not had so many injuries this team would be more competitive and fun to watch. On the other hand these injuries have allowed us to draft high in the draft and land good and potentially great players. Feel bad for Benning as he may lose his job due to the injuries we have and the effect they have on our team

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Yep, especially considering how this team is cursed with injuries to important players. This year and last we've seen this team impacted by injuries more then many other teams. Had we not had so many injuries this team would be more competitive and fun to watch. On the other hand these injuries have allowed us to draft high in the draft and land good and potentially great players. Feel bad for Benning as he may lose his job due to the injuries we have and the effect they have on our team

Yeah agreed on Benning.  IMO he's done a fairly good job, hopefully he gets the chance to continue his work.  I mean he drafted us Boeser!

I'll say no.  This is a message board for the one percentile that come to these boards, not a true reflection of the overall fanbase.  Look at TO a few years ago, jerseys getting tossed on the ice and nonstop booing, that's being too hard.  Thankfully we are not there yet.  I'd say the average fan of the Nucks is actually a little bit jaded.

I`m more frustrated with the play of the vets than I am for the younger guys or coaching or management. The Canucks have been losing since Bo went out and our supposed leadership isn`t getting it done. 

Henrik - $7

Daniel - $7

Eriksson - $6

Edler - $5

That`s $25,000,000 spent on players who aren`t doing their job well enough. I`ll give some credit to Vanek and Gagner, but only because of the lift Boeser`s given them. 

Let's see....

Sbisa was allegedly one of the worst defensemen in the NHL / worst contract ever candidate, right - but a top pairing D in Vegas.

Weber - wasn't fit for the press box - but re-signed for his 3rd and 4th years on one of the best bluelines in the NHL.  (to be fair, he wasn't good here his last year).

Edler - a lot of people would do anything to get him out of the lineup.....waivers, cap dump, you name it....but coach after NHL coach, and the Swedish National team, consider him a workhorse.

Ballard - lol - never had a chance here...

Meh - this list could go on for pages....so I'm stopping with just a few D....

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I`m more frustrated with the play of the vets than I am for the younger guys or coaching or management. The Canucks have been losing since Bo went out and our supposed leadership isn`t getting it done. 

Henrik - $7

Daniel - $7

Eriksson - $6

Edler - $5

That`s $25,000,000 spent on players who aren`t doing their job well enough. I`ll give some credit to Vanek and Gagner, but only because of the lift Boeser`s given them. 

These four vets will be retired, traded or buy-out after this season.

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I'll say no.  This is a message board for the one percentile that come to these boards, not a true reflection of the overall fanbase.  Look at TO a few years ago, jerseys getting tossed on the ice and nonstop booing, that's being too hard.  Thankfully we are not there yet.  I'd say the average fan of the Nucks is actually a little bit jaded.

Very good point.  We are a small sample on here.  I don't think it changes that the media are promoting some of the hate, but do agree someone that doesn't watch every single game probably doesn't get as worked up.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Let's see....

Sbisa was allegedly one of the worst defensemen in the NHL / worst contract ever candidate, right - but a top pairing D in Vegas.

Weber - wasn't fit for the press box - but re-signed for his 3rd and 4th years on one of the best bluelines in the NHL.  (to be fair, he wasn't good here his last year).

Edler - a lot of people would do anything to get him out of the lineup.....waivers, cap dump, you name it....but coach after NHL coach, and the Swedish National team, consider him a workhorse.

Ballard - lol - never had a chance here...

Meh - this list could go on for pages....so I'm stopping with just a few D....

If the Canucks were a playoff team I might be a little more critical. That is not the case and will not be for a few years. Fans have to enjoy the development of prospects or they are bound for disappointment and frustration. Inconsistency is the likely outlook by many.  

Losing in 2011 sucked. Hard.

That was a team that should have won the Stanley Cup, and not winning it was hard to accept. I remember thinking "Holy ****, this is it. We did it" after Burrows scored in game 2. Even in the dying seconds of game 7 it was like my mind couldn't process the fact that we lost.

So, everyone looks to 2012 and what it's going to take to beat Boston in the rematch. There's no way we're not getting there again right? We just won the President's Trophy again after all. We're out in 5 games to LA.

Okay...Well, maybe they were tired, or looking ahead too much. It's rare that a team goes to back-to-back finals. This year (2013) we'll get there. Out in 4 straight. The window is slammed shut and that's it.

Now it's 2018 and we've missed the playoffs 3 of 4 years and we're going to miss them again this season. It's just...Frustrating. When you're this invested in a team and you want them to win so badly it makes you feel physically ill when they're eliminated each year, it's hard not to get angry, or upset after being so close. I don't think we'd see half the amount of raging if we won in 2011.

We are too hard on the team. They're trying (Even Edler), and they want to win.

We have a lot to be excited for in the next few years; Horvat, Boeser, Juolevi, Demko, Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Dahlin, Gadjovich, Lind, DiPietro, Lockwood, and more. Things are turning around, things will get better. People just need to be patient.

If you read the boards for all of the other Canadian teams you will see that, for the most part, we are no harder or softer on our team than any other team. It is just the Canadian passion for the game ...and the fan demand that both our team and our National teams be the absolute best.

I like what you say about being behind the guys on the ice- most of us have no conception of what it takes to achieve the highest level in their respective sport, let alone what's like to compete against the best.  I think that's why I try to get behind guys like Gagner or Edler or Eriksson because I want them to be their best for our team.  If over time it's just not working out then hey, I understand that too, but some of the harsh words fans have while they sit on their fat asses eating chips.........

I'd say fans were much harder on the team last year than this year. Even though the team is, statistically speaking, worse, I've been able to make it through far more games than last year.

Injuries are never an excuse for losing, but there is no way you can't point to injuries as a reason why this team is at the bottom of the basement. I think fans understand that. They saw what this team was capable of with a full lineup. 

Archived