The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you want Jim Benning re-signed? (Discussion/Poll)

J.I.A.H.N

Do you want Jim Benning re-signed?  

245 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I said a 3 year extension, I would expect Vancouver to be a playoff team by that time. With a roster of our current young players and prospects, hopefully a few players from the 2018 and 2019 drafts, and some veteran value signings like the players I previously mentioned.

With 2020 that still makes it 7 to 8 years in total just be a playoff team.

Using this time frame the team needs to develop 8 prospects at a minimum, most haven't started on the development team yet so in 2109 there would need to be at the very least 6 rookies playing, defence and forwards if thing continue as they are.

Or

They have to have 3 rookies next year and that means some of the players on the team now would be traded or not resigned. So who goes?

One other thing is if all the vets go, like the Sedins, Vanek, Sutter, that would leave this team led by their captain, likely Horvat, who has never had a full winning season in the NHL. The core will not know winning.

But I guess it will be a competitive environment, ya, who can play good enough for another team to want them.:lol::lol::lol:

Just to change this up a little..........

I have played hockey for about 50+ years.................and the difference between a bad team and average team, and a good team, is usually 3 players on each step that are above average................I think this holds some truth to the NHL also

I believe Benning has 2 young very good players in the NHL in Brock and Bo

and I believe he has another 4 players that are above average prospects........Demko, Juolevi, Gaudette and Pettersson

I also feel there is a good chance Lind will show well............I would also say, that this years draft pick, where ever we pick at will have a very good chance at being a high end player as well

Not to Mention Dahlen, Gadjovich and Lockwood have great chances to contribute.......or so says the experts

And as Virtanen matures...............he will be a bonus....that's not talking Stecher, Baertschi, or Granlund and Gaunce

I like what Benning has done, and he should have the chance to see it through......................we shall see!

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Worst in the league?

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/8/4/16089416/nhl-worst-contracts-by-team-salary-cap-2017-18-season

Worst on the team yes, and nobody will discount that but league wide I'd say there's some gems that give it a run for it's overpaid money

Okay, it just feels like the worst in the league. Worst in Canuck history. At least Lu could still stop a puck and steal a game once in awhile.

Still one of only a few on that page of mistakes that are 5+ in term. And that's a huge part of the equation. Still ONE of the worst in the league. Hardly a ringing endorsement. Or an excuse. (but but that GM was inept too!)  It was a terrible risk. Not only that which makes it one of the worst, but the timing. when everyone but Aquilini, JB, and TL were willing and begging for a true rebuild, they instead signed a slow starting vet to 6 years @ $36 mill. after one season when he scored 30 goals. The only other 30+ was  one of his first seasons 10 years ago.

It was dumb. No way can you give JB a pass on that one.

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Are you suggesting OJ was the BPA at the spot he was drafted or are you saying her was The BDmanA?

I don’t recall OJ as being regarded as the BPA at #5. 

Those bolded above appear as contradictory statements. 

As per my initial statement, 

With Virtanen being the outlier due to all of the rumours of a higher hand in the organization wanting Virtanen and with Juolevi being the consensus #1d man; something this team sorely needed to draft.

Oj was in fact the defacto best D man in that draft and some analysts had him between 5 and 7 ahead of Tkachuk.  Benning picked his BPA for this organizations future needs.

Sorry for the confusion

6 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

With 2020 that still makes it 7 to 8 years in total just be a playoff team.

Using this time frame the team needs to develop 8 prospects at a minimum, most haven't started on the development team yet so in 2109 there would need to be at the very least 6 rookies playing, defence and forwards if thing continue as they are.

Or

They have to have 3 rookies next year and that means some of the players on the team now would be traded or not resigned. So who goes?

One other thing is if all the vets go, like the Sedins, Vanek, Sutter, that would leave this team led by their captain, likely Horvat, who has never had a full winning season in the NHL. The core will not know winning.

But I guess it will be a competitive environment, ya, who can play good enough for another team to want them.:lol::lol::lol:

I'll leave it up to JB to decide when and which players leave to make room for the young players. That said, I'd expect Gaudette and Pettersson to make strong pushes for roster spots at the 2018 camp, with Juolevi, Demko, and perhaps our 2018 1st round pick and Dahlen making a case for themselves too. There is a lot of unpredictability with prospects, so your guess is as good as mine for who will be playing their way onto the team at the 2019 camp. 

And Horvat played for a 100+ point Canucks team in his rookie season.

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

Okay, it just feels like the worst in the league. Worst in Canuck history. At least Lu could still stop a puck and steal a game once in awhile.

Still one of only a few on that page of mistakes that are 5+ in term. And that's a huge part of the equation. Still ONE of the worst in the league. Hardly a ringing endorsement. Or an excuse. (but but that GM was inept too!)  It was a terrible risk. Not only that which makes it one of the worst, but the timing. when everyone but Aquilini, JB, and TL were willing and begging for a true rebuild, they instead signed a slow starting vet to 6 years @ $36 mill. after one season when he scored 30 goals. The only other 30+ was  one of his first seasons 10 years ago.

It was dumb. No way can you give JB a pass on that one.

No way am I giving him a pass on it.  In fact in the Eriksson signing thread I was on it as being over paid and over term.  Just saying unsure that worst in the league is entirely accurate

18 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I'll leave it up to JB to decide when and which players leave to make room for the young players. That said, I'd expect Gaudette and Pettersson to make strong pushes for roster spots at the 2018 camp, with Juolevi, Demko, and perhaps our 2018 1st round pick and Dahlen making a case for themselves too. There is a lot of unpredictability with prospects, so your guess is as good as mine for who will be playing their way onto the team at the 2019 camp. 

And Horvat played for a 100+ point Canucks team in his rookie season.

So that is least 5 vets gone. Who? Can't just cut them and most have contracts running for another few years.

Horvat played barely half a season, it will be 5 or more till the next. Scary thought this management group goes all out to get a playoff year in.

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No way am I giving him a pass on it.  In fact in the Eriksson signing thread I was on it as being over paid and over term.  Just saying unsure that worst in the league is entirely accurate

I didn't want him signed at all, I looked at his injury record and stats that showed he only played really well in contract years.

Bo played 68 regular season and 6 playoffs games. ~83% of the regular season in addition to a round of playoff hockey constitutes more than "barely half".

I imagine the Sedins will retire, Vanek is a UFA. It's hard to say which player on defence will go, with Gudbranson a UFA this year, Stetcher, Hutton, and Del Zotto aren't on long term deals, Tanev is quite tradable.

It would be nice to move Ganger, but I don't imagine there would be much of a market.

3 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

If Benning had taken the BPA in the first round he would look like a champ and this is not hindsight saying something like a Boeser went 25th and he picked 3rd and missed. This is simply the BPA available over his years would all be home runs, to not have that is not a misstep it is bad evaluation and poor scouting.

He was dealt 17 mil in cap space, a team with solid vets that were on expiring clause home town discount contracts and tradable, a team poised to be in the McDavid, Eichel and Mathews, Laine, Tkachuk conversation and cap space to deal for more picks. He also had all the Nucks picks plus what was going to be coming from the well known Kesler trade.

Nothing against Gagner as a person/player but he was one year out of a tryout and had one decent year, his 3+ mil for 3 years is not so good, Vanek's is good but Vanek has stated he isn't worried about money he wants a cup so his deal could have been simply so he is tradable.

His vison? Based on the prospects what do you think he expects for the future and how does that future stack up in comparison to other teams?

He did take BPA in his eyes - just not yours.    So you should fire him I guess as he will never agree with you.

24 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He did take BPA in his eyes - just not yours.    

... While the actual, consensus BPA has been an impact player in Calgary for nearly two seasons though. 

Even Hippy aptly chose the word “some” to described the voters who placed these kids in that BPA rank, because it was a minority opinion. 

Nothing agaist OJ, but two years of being an impact player in the NHL are big shoes yet to fill. OJ remains a prospect; a gamble, unlike the proven commodity of who was the apparent BPA in that slot. 

MT-Ho-Bo

What a line it would have been. 

Truely, a Hobo With a Shotgun line. 

I get why OJ was picked and no real complaints here, but he was not the BPA and it will continue to hurt JB’s legacy until OJ has been an impact, core player for a few years... which is in a long time. Let’s not play the “let’s pretend” game about who was the BPA when OJ was taken. 

24 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

... While the actual, consensus BPA has been an impact player in Calgary for nearly two seasons though. 

Even Hippy aptly chose the word “some” to described the voters who placed these kids in that BPA rank, because it was a minority opinion. 

Nothing agaist OJ, but two years of being an impact player in the NHL are big shoes yet to fill. OJ remains a prospect; a gamble, unlike the proven commodity of who was the apparent BPA in that slot. 

MT-Ho-Bo

I get why OJ was picked and no real complaints here, but he was not the BPA and it will continue to hurt JB’s legacy until OJ has been an impact, core player for a few years... which is in a long time. Let’s not play the “let’s pretend” game about who was the BPA when OJ was taken. 

OJ, Sergachev, and Tkachuk  were roughly similar value and could have gone in any order.  I can't blame Benning for choosing to pass on the guy with obvious character issues and zero respect for the sport.  Can't imagine the players we have right now enthusiastically defending that gutless puke's garbage.  Let him play in the cesspool that is Calgary.  Perfect fit for him.

For a guy who's team finished 29th in the league last year.  And projected to finish bottom 3 this season.

A 93% approval rating in this poll is really amazing.  Really shows this fan base believes in what Jim is doing.  Ive been a Canucks fan a LONG time.  And I can't remember ever seeing the fan base get behind a guy like this.  Typically this fan base is ready to throw a guy under the bus.

Do the right thing Francesco 

1 hour ago, CanuckGAME said:

For a guy who's team finished 29th in the league last year.  And projected to finish bottom 3 this season.

A 93% approval rating in this poll is really amazing.  Really shows this fan base believes in what Jim is doing.  Ive been a Canucks fan a LONG time.  And I can't remember ever seeing the fan base get behind a guy like this.  Typically this fan base is ready to throw a guy under the bus.

Do the right thing Francesco 

100 %  AGREE.

Francesco , do the right thing and move the Vancouver Canucks to a new ARENA at   SURREY Central......

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

MT-Ho-Bo

You're not qualified enough to determine who was the bpa, bro, sit and down and be quiet.  You don't think so Canucks think he was the bpa.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

OJ, Sergachev, and Tkachuk  were roughly similar value and could have gone in any order.  I can't blame Benning for choosing to pass on the guy with obvious character issues and zero respect for the sport.  Can't imagine the players we have right now enthusiastically defending that gutless puke's garbage.  Let him play in the cesspool that is Calgary.  Perfect fit for him.

Valid point.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m not hating on anyone here.

I will only counter by stating that out of the 3 you’ve mentioned, only one is not doing serious damage in the NHL. 

Not exactly a swoosh for JB in any shape or form, unless the crystal ballers are really going to use optimism as a metric on grading JB’s picks.

I was indifferent when they took a Virtanen too, knowing what a pansy top 6 the team had, trickling down even beyond the farm. Still, another actual, consensus BPA miss, in the eyes of many. 

I’m objective about JBs tenure.

I like the character he is targeting.

I like how he takes skill first and then guts and grit, next.

I think he started way to late on a rebuild.

I think he botched several trades and contracts.

I think he accidentally tanked and was LUCKY to get a stab at lotto contention after all the good UFAs he brought in. 

I think WD was a disaster decision.

The man has likely more loses than wins at this point. Yet the fans want him to keep going. I’m pleasantly surprised with this fickle fanbase. 

But I can’t help but think that he has been restricted by all of the late, non-trades and the lack of draft picks taken into each draft. I just can’t see a guy whose strength is identifing and drafting talent as a guy to go into 3 drafts with less picks than most teams. Gut feeling here. So, I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt. 

Let him have the decisional latitude to rebuild the way he wants to. Full autonomy.

If not, I hope JB cuts his horse lose from the Calvary and goes to a team that needs a builder, not a facade of one for appearances sake!

2 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

You're not qualified enough to determine who was the bpa, bro, sit and down and be quiet.  You don't think so Canucks think he was the bpa.

Never said I was nor did I say the BPA ranks were my own. 

The bigger point, being that Serachev and MT are continuing to kill it in the NHL, while OJ is over in the farm’s farm. Maybe those BPAs aren’t all that accurate, but no denying that as of today, JB picked the wrong kid for an asset, whether you like MT or not has nothing to do with the asset value. I’m not giving credit where it’s not justly due by propping up a pick that was slightly off the board. Not even for the Virtanen one either. 

I think it’s self-evident that the Russian Dman is a superior player at this point too, if you’re objective about it, rather than projections on what OJ might be down the road that those two aren’t already. Seems like a waste of two years, but perspectives differ and I’m happy we have a good D prospect, nonetheless. 

Who is worth most, in trade, out of those three kids? Who is worth the least?

9 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Mark my words.

Juolevi Tkachuk is our new Horvat Nikushkin all over again.  This one might take longer though, but at the end of the day Juolevi will be much better then Tkachuk.  quote me on this, someone quote me please and save it.

I agree.  Just as I feel Bourdon (RIP) would have eventually proven to be a very good pick.  Very similar skillsets and likely a similar development trajectory

10 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Mark my words.

Juolevi Tkachuk is our new Horvat Nikushkin all over again.  This one might take longer though, but at the end of the day Juolevi will be much better then Tkachuk.  quote me on this, someone quote me please and save it.

Mark you work, Ricky?

We all hope your right. That’s the easy part, the hoping. 

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Never said I was nor did I say the BPA ranks were my own. 

The bigger point, being that Serachev and MT are continuing to kill it in the NHL, while OJ is over in the farm’s farm. Maybe those BPAs aren’t all that accurate, but no denying that as of today, JB picked the wrong kid for an asset, whether you like MT or not has nothing to do with the asset value. I’m not giving credit where it’s not justly due by propping up a pick that was slightly off the board. Not even for the Virtanen one either. 

I think it’s self-evident that the Russian Dman is a superior player at this point too, if you’re objective about it, rather than projections on what OJ might be down the road that those two aren’t already. Seems like a waste of two years, but perspectives differ and I’m happy we have a good D prospect, nonetheless. 

Who is worth most, in trade, out of those three kids? Who is worth the least?

I wouldn't trade OJ for the return that Montreal got for Sergachev (and I like Drouin).

Archived