The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ESPN TV show praising Brock and his flow

DefCon1

I think after the all star weekend, everyone knows who Brock is, especially the Eastern media getting a glimpse of his greatness and flow. ESPN never talks hockey so talking 5 minutes about Brock is also getting the NHL some recognition too. Hopefully he keeps it up and wins the calder too.

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This is an example of why ESPN won't get the NHL contract for TV again. 

Remember that ridiculous "steaking puck" they came up with for their American audience back when they had the contract with the NHL? So they could see the puck better on the TV. Was moronic.

EDIT: Sorry that was FOX not ESPN!!

This is still a good exposure for Brock to have the Eastern hockey writers notice him. I think the All star weekend could change some of those votes for Brock. The fact that he is again picked at the 1st star of the week and has a couple of articles on NHL.com and other media outlets is great publicity for Brock.

Boeser earned MVP honors at Sunday's 2018 Honda NHL All-Star Game, won Saturday's Honda NHL Accuracy Shooting competition and also scored two goals in two contests earlier in the week with the Canucks (19-24-6, 44 points). Participating as the only rookie in the weekend festivities at AMALIE Arena, Boeser recorded the winning goal in the Pacific Division's 5-2 semifinal victory against the Central Division and added 1-1-2 in a 5-2 triumph over the Atlantic Division in the final. He became the second rookie to win NHL All-Star Game MVP honors, following Pittsburgh's Mario Lemieux in 1985. Prior to that, Boeser won Saturday's Honda NHL Accuracy Shooting competition and $25,000 by hitting all five targets in 11.136 seconds. Earlier in the week, he scored two goals in Vancouver's 6-2 victory against the Los Angeles Kings Jan. 23 before being held off the scoresheet in a 4-0 loss to the Buffalo Sabres Jan. 25. The 20-year-old Burnsville, Minn., native leads all rookies and shares seventh overall with 24 goals in 46 games this season (24-19-43).

https://www.nhl.com/news/brock-boeser-all-star-mvp-performance-says-plenty-for-canucks-forward/c-295401392?tid=277549086

Just now, Attila Umbrus said:

Remember that ridiculous "steaking puck" they came up with for their American audience back when they had the contract with the NHL? So they could see the puck better on the TV. Was moronic.

The streaking puck was Fox Sports. When the NHL was on ESPN2 at least it was decent. Now it's pretty much football, and basketball, baseball, and golf. 

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The streaking puck was Fox Sports. When the NHL was on ESPN2 at least it was decent. Now it's pretty much football, and basketball, baseball, and golf. 

Ya just realized my mistake, sorry... was going to edit my post lol. Still silly tho. Here for the trip down memory lane!

3 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

This is still a good exposure for Brock to have the Eastern hockey writers notice him. I think the All star weekend could change some of those votes for Brock. The fact that he is again picked at the 1st star of the week and has a couple of articles on NHL.com and other media outlets is great publicity for Brock.

https://www.nhl.com/news/brock-boeser-all-star-mvp-performance-says-plenty-for-canucks-forward/c-295401392?tid=277549086

For sure it is, sorry to get away from the subject of your post. 

54 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I think after the all star weekend, everyone knows who Brock is, especially the Eastern media getting a glimpse of his greatness and flow. ESPN never talks hockey so talking 5 minutes about Brock is also getting the NHL some recognition too. Hopefully he keeps it up and wins the calder too.

Sadly you just pinpointed why the odds are against BB winning the Calder. 

57 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I miss the other Mike. :(

8 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If Kesler can win the selke, Brock can win the Calder. There is eastern bias but if you can get their attention, then you could win the award. It means since he was the NHL all star mvp, his chances of winning the calder increased more than the chance he had before the all-star break. All he needs to do now is keep up and keep scoring goals. If he can get to the 35 to 40 goal mark, I think the calder is in the bag.

Michael Russo has done by far the best article on Brock.

Check it out here if you haven't seen it.

Some great shots in there too....

https://theathletic.com/222215/2018/01/26/canucks-rookie-brock-boeser-faced-excruciating-hardship-on-road-to-perfect-spot-in-the-nhl/

year 2000 
Age 3:

54Btm3D.jpg

Age 6
(with sister Jessica) 
I7jOhHD.jpg

@ Burnsville High School
eC2BOEI.jpg
qsuHTiu.jpg

USHL Waterloo Blackhawks
z9Bbd5f.jpg

Drafted by Vancouver

11171058.jpg?size=640x420

2016 USA Bronze Medal Winners. A few familiar faces in that crowd, eh
image.jpg

2016. NCAA Frozen Four Title match w/ North Dakota, IN TAMPA BAY....
boeser.jpg

Less than 24 hours after his College Career ends, signs with the Canucks and scores a goal in his first NHL game

10 months after his NHL career begins, he is a Calder Candidate and wins MVP at NHL All Star Game ... and sits in the exact same dressing room stall he did for the Frozen Four 2 years prior

911531496-2018-honda-nhl-all-star-game-a

BROCK BOESER

Grippin' it and Rippin' it, since 2000

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

If Kesler can win the selke, Brock can win the Calder. There is eastern bias but if you can get their attention, then you could win the award. It means since he was the NHL all star mvp, his chances of winning the calder increased more than the chance he had before the all-star break. All he needs to do now is keep up and keep scoring goals. If he can get to the 35 to 40 goal mark, I think the calder is in the bag.

Even bet that Barzal will be in the playoffs getting even more media attention for the Calder (not supposed to factor into it but let's be realistic - it will) while BB will be training for next year unfortunately.   

I don't expect Boeser to win the Calder, unless he really picks up the points. Barzal will most likely win it though.

Barzal plays with Tavares, Boeser's been tossed all over the lineup.

Boeser makes his line mates better, I can't say the same for Barzal.

Boeser won MVP at the All-Star game. Barzal wasn't invited to the ASG, but he does have more points. 

My question is though, why wasn't Barzal invited to the ASG instead of Bailey?

47 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Pierre Lebrun @ TSN has done by far the best article on Brock.

Check it out here if you haven't seen it.

Some great shots in there too....

Loved this shot too... Man Crush all day every day. 

He's genuinely 2 Gorgeous 4 U... should have him in my sig instead of Loui :P

Brock-senior-picture.jpg

Archived